Thread: Collins Homestead

Collins Homestead

ADVERTISEMENT

Picked up another Collins Homestead. Original pant, nice useable 32" haft.
    Haft is a little loose, can fix that no problem. Going to refresh the edge, tighten the haft, some BLO, clean off a little rust and she will good to go.
    Should be a heck of a chopper. I'm really starting to like these Collins Homestead's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne06 View Post
    Original pant, nice useable 32" haft.
    I was gonna say, that haft looks like a keeper. It has a little bigger swell than you usually find these days - I like that. Plus it appears to have been slimmed nicely.

Thumbs up Sweeeet pair

Wayne, That's a SWEEEET pair of Collins.
    Double Ott aka; Tom; TC

Good judgement comes from your experience...Most experience comes from your poor judgement!
    Collecting vintage logging tools. What ya got? P.M me.

has anyone done any testing on these to see how good the hardening is on the bit on these later ones? I know you don't have an actual Rockwell tester, but by using a file or punch and making an educated guess. Since Collins was around long past most, I wonder if some of these had really poor hardening? I tend to avoid them out of that concern.

Wayne,
    all good
    Collins made excellent axe's
    my favorite bench hatchet is a small carpenter's ax. real good steel.
    i have several Collins doubles and a couple singles, very well made bits

slimming down the handle is an option

buzz

Quote Originally Posted by cckw View Post
    has anyone done any testing on these to see how good the hardening is on the bit on these later ones? I know you don't have an actual Rockwell tester, but by using a file or punch and making an educated guess. Since Collins was around long past most, I wonder if some of these had really poor hardening? I tend to avoid them out of that concern.
    The older ones are quality axes. Stay away from the newer ones that are made in Mexico..Maybe someone can jump in here with some dates when Collins USA closed down. I know the Collins name was purchased and they moved the manufacturing to Mexico, but not sure of the dates.
    Double Ott aka; Tom; TC

Good judgement comes from your experience...Most experience comes from your poor judgement!
    Collecting vintage logging tools. What ya got? P.M me.

I believe this Homestead version was made after Collins was sold to Mann Edge. Thus the Lewistown, PA marking. I'm pretty sure this axe predates the ultimate sale of Collins to Truper Herramientas (mexico). Operator may know more specifics on the move to Mexico or if any of the Mann Edge versions were made in Mexico.

Thread Information