Thread: How do you sharpen your CRK Tanto (Umnumzaan or Sebenza)?

How do you sharpen your CRK Tanto (Umnumzaan or Sebenza)?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm just curious how other Tanto owners have been maintaining their edges. I've been stropping mine on a leather strop with green compound, but I'm wondering what to do if/when the edge needs a serious touch up? Does anyone have an at home method for repairing a damaged edge on a CRK Tanto?

I've got an edge pro but the tip of the Tanto is a convex edge so the edge pro won't work because it only does flat edge bevels. I guess I will have to keep stropping and then send it in to CRK for a new edge grind when it needs a serious touch up.

One of the knives I'm looking to maintain...

nice chatting with you...take care of yourself...

I am not a sharpener! I've only tried once on some old Arkansas stones my Grandfather left me and it was a disaster (I used a crappy old knife thank goodness). I took my tanto Umnum to Blade this year to get it sharpened. The Wicked Edge guy (I wish I could remember his name...Gary?) said they were tough to sharpen without messing with the edge geometry. What he did was only sharpen the very edge bevel and left the majority of the tanto alone. Does that make sense? Anyway, he did a fantastic job and the only difference is now it's razor sharp. I have to get me a system!

Be very careful sharpening a tanto for the first time. You can mess it up really bad...ask me how i know. For me, i sharpen the blade in two stages. The straight edge portion and then i re adjust the knife and sharpen just the tip portion. Im no expert but doing it this way allows me to maintain the edge geometry/bevel that i want. I like a strop as well for putting a convex edge. Not sure that helps you but good luck. Very nice knife btw
    Last edited by Tjc591; 07-22-2012 at 06:03 PM.

sharpen both edges separately and you'll be fine

Strop it on sandpaper over a leather strop. Use very light pressure and only as much grit as you absolutely need. Chris runs 'em on the softer side so you have to let your material (sharpening & finishing strops) do the work. Just my .02 ymmv

Yes, MM two stages, tip seperately from blade.

Thread Information