Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GEC's jigged bone

ADVERTISEMENT
    Trand, the antique yellow on the conductor is great looking-- never seen that jigging before in any color.
    -- Jeff

"When you side with a man, you stay with him. And if you can't do that, you're like some animal, you're finished." Pike Bishop

Horsecut Jigging, Antique Bone...

... on a 2008 Barlow. This is perhaps as authoritative as I can be, meaning, this is what horsecut jigging looks like on antique bone on a 2008 Northfield Barlow. Any other iteration or combination of jigging/bone/pattern may look quite different! That said, the jigging and coloration appears to be consistent among the few 2008 barlows that I've seen:

(Thanks again, kai76.)

~ P.

2011 Autumn Gold Bone

...As seen on a White Owl:

So, the bone is Autumn Gold; does this uniform jigging pattern (which looks like it might be identical on every White Owl with this bone[?]) have a name?

~ P.

Beautiful P.! If I had to choose between the autumn gold and the blood red as my favorite GEC jigged bone, I don't know which one I would select.

Here's my contribution:

I sure love the looks of that horsecut jigging though. It's going on my wishlist for sure

GEC is not one to sit around, they're coming up with new jigging and colors. They just posted this on their website.

Looking at these pics, and fondling the 73L grizzly bone-handled GEC that I recently took ownership of, something occurs to me. Yes, these jigging patterns look great. But perhaps more importantly, they really feel great in hand, and offer a great non-slippy grip! I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but they are really built for work. Based on the one GEC I own, I'm a big fan.

-- Mark

i really need to stay out of the traditional section of this forum, im gonna be sleeping on the couch if i spend any more $$$ on knives this month. LOL
    because of this thread ive been looking at [an online dealer] and i see alot of GECs that i want, but cant decide which one should be my first.
    you guys are killing me
    Last edited by knarfeng; 08-24-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: removed non-BF dealer name

10. I've come extremely close to buying this knife every time I see it. I keep telling myself... I already have a White Owl...and then I clear the cart... but I'm not sure how much longer I can restrain myself!

Quote Originally Posted by pertinux View Post
    ...As seen on a White Owl:

So, the bone is Autumn Gold; does this uniform jigging pattern (which looks like it might be identical on every White Owl with this bone[?]) have a name?

~ P.

Quote Originally Posted by supratentorial View Post
    I've come extremely close to buying this knife every time I see it.
    "Quintessential" does tend to have that effect on the discerning.

~ P.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think this GEC SFO sports the jigging pattern that's slated for use on the 2012 Forum knife.

It's attractive, but IMO, a bit "mechanical" looking. It's very smooth and feels great in the hand, but it's slippery compared to some of the more natural/random jigging patterns in GEC's stable.

GEC just released their #42 Missouri Trapper with "Copperhead Jig Bone" and I'm very impressed. Unfortunately, their stock photo does not do it justice…

…but I was able to find a better photo on the web.

In my opinion, this jigged bone is dangerously close to the stuff on the oldies and is right up there with some of the best jigged bone from Queen a few years back (that's a very big complement from me). example: http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...8-sowbelly.jpg

The new "Copperhead jig bone" seems to have done away with the worm groove and altered the jig pattern. I hope to see both styles of the "Copperhead jig bone" on more of their knives.
    I dropped a dime and ordered a Missouri Trapper after seeing that nice photo you found, Jake. I hope it looks near as good!
    A 2014 Stag BF Jack in everyone's pocket!

What could be better?

14. I sent GEC an email to ask for commission on their sales.

I've come extremely close to buying this knife every time I see it. I keep telling myself... I already have a White Owl...and then I clear the cart... but I'm not sure how much longer I can restrain myself!
    Me too Jake! Fortunately for me, I don't care for the bail, and the autumn gold bone is to my knowledge not available outside the Northfield rendition of the 68.

16. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Add View Post
    Me too Jake! Fortunately for me, I don't care for the bail, and the autumn gold bone is to my knowledge not available outside the Northfield rendition of the 68.
    You know you're gonna fall.

One blade is larger
    And one blade is small
    And the ones that GEC makes
    Don't have any gaps at all
    Go ask GEC to produce an order ten feet tall

And if you go chasing white owls
    And you know you're going to fall
    Tell 'em a hookah smoking BF member
    Has given you the call

Loving the bone coloring on my new Missouri Trader (living in state made me have to buy it :-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345914551.517317.jpg

You're a bad influence on my wallet Jake!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think this GEC SFO sports the jigging pattern that's slated for use on the 2012 Forum knife.

It's attractive, but IMO, a bit "mechanical" looking. It's very smooth and feels great in the hand, but it's slippery compared to some of the more natural/random jigging patterns in GEC's stable.

If it's not the same jigging it looks pretty close. I agree about the mechanical look and think the random pattern is preferable.
    Stu

20. Quote Originally Posted by confucius37 View Post
    GEC is not one to sit around, they're coming up with new jigging and colors. They just posted this on their website.

Based on customer suggestions, GEC picked a name for this jigged bone... “AUTUMN LEAF CLAWED BONE”

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/...jigging-color/

A lot of people seem to like claws or clawed animals. ...My suggestions (shot down!) were Nor'easter jigged bone

and Huckleberry jigged bone ..."I'm your huckleberry."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...%20huckleberry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information