Thread: Double edged sword.

Double edged sword.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Would w2 be good be a good steel for a double edged sword like a jian?.

Quote Originally Posted by kisuke View Post
    Would w2 be good be a good steel for a double edged sword like a jian?.
    Sure, if heat treated properly and the maker knows how to properly craft a jian etc. Personally if I was going to have a maker make me a custom sword I would ask the maker what steel they are most comfortable with. Most users aren't going to be able to tell a dimes worth of difference in the steel used if the maker knows what they are doing.*

This of course assumes carbon and not stainless steels, although even stainless can be used to make swords.

Well the thing is I have some w2 that I want to get rid of and there is enough for a sword I already have a katana so I want some kind of straight sword I know w2 works great for katanas but I have never seen a double edged strait sword of w2 just wanted to know if there was a reason for that lol.

I personally prefer to use steels with more of a reputation for impact resistance and overall toughness. Mainly use 5160, although I'm looking to try some 3V. L6 and S7 also tend to be popular.

W2 should be fine though. I suspect the main reason that it isn't used more often is that it's hard to find in suitable billets for stock removal. The extra vanadium content over W1 should make it nice and slicy. Plus, it also takes a nice hamon. I'd like to see a jian with a well-done hamon out of W2, actually. I say go for it!
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

Well it wouldn't be a jian per se but something similar I was thinking something with a blade length of 25 or 26 inches and a handle long enough to use with both hands not just a one handed sword clay tempered with a nice hamon I would like to have Jesus Hernandez make it but dont know yet lol.

This custom is W2, so it's not unheard of

so is this short sword

Strange looking hamon on that sword.

Thread Information