Thread: ZT 0780 comparison shot to a Para-military 2

ZT 0780 comparison shot to a Para-military 2

ADVERTISEMENT
    I just got the 0780 in the mail today. I picked it up and instantly thought of the Paramilitary 2. Not only does it have this "feel" like the PM2, but they are a pretty close match in length and cutting length.

Seems to be a good knife so far. There is a slight swedge that goes downwards so that your thumb can comfortably rest on it and further jimping down the spine allows you to get a better grip only when you need it. The 0780 is totally tactical, it feels great in hand, its solid, smooth but looks a little cheap; specifically the plastic backspacer and on one side you can see the torx head and on the other side you see the end of the screw. I also find it a little weird that the clip doesn't have any type of branding. Another cool thing I noticed was that it seems to be a "quiet" knife when opening, I don't know if thats just the nature of the knife or the paint needs to rub off of the tang or ect, but so far seems like a very silent blade. The 0780 can be opened both with the flipper and thumbstuds with ease; oddly I have been finding myself using the thumbstuds more so than the flipper! I have read a rumor that the 0780 is already discontinued to prioritize manufacturing for other knives, but hopefully ZT can make another "small-skyline-like" knife in the future.

To me the 0780 kind of feels like a "prototype" knife and with its short life I kind of wonder if it was rushed out the door. Don't get me wrong, its a great knife but doesn't have the 110% feeling I get from my other ZT knives. I don't know how to describe it, but somehow feels unfinished.

Last edited by DedRok; 07-25-2012 at 12:31 AM.

im surprised at how close in size they are. Guess ill be getting a new para 2 soon. I traded my last one off and have missed it a lot.

Hmmmm... all the ZT's I have either have no backspacer, or have the black plastic spacer that you mention. Can't comment on anything else, though. It LOOKS like a cool blade, but unlikely to be one I'll get. Simply because I think they are all going to be gone before I recover from other purchases...

That is quite a bit larger than the Skyline... I think I'm going to be very happy with this one. Should be here any day now.
    - EZB

Quote Originally Posted by EZ Bake View Post
    That is quite a bit larger than the Skyline... I think I'm going to be very happy with this one. Should be here any day now.
    I can take a comparison shot of all three when I get home for you.

Ill also take a couple of the back spacer and torx screws.

-sent from my iPhone

i really like the way that blade looks, i'll have to see if a local dealer has one i can handle. I think a stonewashed blade would look great on that.

I was really hoping to be able to get one but I just read where they were/are discontinued. It is a nice looking blade in a compact package.

I had all intention (and the funds) to get one of these and a Cryo but ended up having to spend those funds on a fuel pump for the wifes car, a new tank for the well, and a new lawnmower (all of which had to be paid for last week). It sucks but thats how it goes sometimes I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by EZ Bake View Post
    Here, I got you a bit more...

Paramilitary 2, ZT 780, Kershaw Skyline, Kershaw Zing Tanto, and a Spyderco Delica comparison.

Last edited by DedRok; 07-25-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockspyder View Post
    Hmmmm... all the ZT's I have either have no backspacer, or have the black plastic spacer that you mention. Can't comment on anything else, though. It LOOKS like a cool blade, but unlikely to be one I'll get. Simply because I think they are all going to be gone before I recover from other purchases...
    Don't get me wrong, I like the knife, it feels like a ZT, but on the other hand it feels like the production was bit rushed and the 780 wasn't polished to 110% like most of my other ZTs.

Here is the backspacer,

It looks like these liners will scratch super easy...

One side torx heads...

Other side is nothing but the end of the screw..

Last edited by DedRok; 07-25-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Maybe this is the future of this company...

Quote Originally Posted by DedRok View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like the knife, it feels like a ZT, but on the other hand it feels like the production was bit rushed and the 780 wasn't polished to 110% like most of my other ZTs.

Here is the backspacer,

It looks like these liners will scratch super easy...

One side torx heads...

Other side is nothing but the end of the screw..

THat is the way my ZT350 is, except the liners are not blackened. I see nothing wrong with that (not blackened, or the way the screws are). Also, my Shallot is that way, but that is a completely different scale of knife. In fact, I really see nothing wrong with the knife at all. It may not be what you expected, but I wouldn't call any of that wrong, or cheap, in any way. And I really wouldn't call myself a fanboy of KAI at all. I like their stuff, from what I've seen. But I have no particular attachment to them. But I wouldn't call that or my 350 cheap, or less than excellent, really.

The ZT 0780 has the same thumb studs as the Kershaw Blur. Does it even need thumb studs since it has flipper? I would use the flipper before I would use the thumb studs.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMcustoms View Post
    The ZT 0780 has the same thumb studs as the Kershaw Blur. Does it even need thumb studs since it has flipper? I would use the flipper before I would use the thumb studs.
    Well, I'll say that it's nice to have options sometimes, eh?

As for the screws, etc. I don't see them as being a problem. Your car is held together largely by fasteners (bolts, screws, etc.) that function in much the same way, and it's subject to extreme heat variations, vibration, pressures, etc. Proper torquing techniques (or in the case of the knife, a dab of Loc-Tite) usually resolve any issues with fasteners backing out.

ETA: I was "bad" and used the credit card to order one from another site once I read that they were discontinued. It's been three days with no update, so I'm hoping their inventory system was up to date and they're just busy, but looks like I'll be calling tomorrow to see what's up.

The 0780 looks awesome. I would like to add it to my EDC. Although it might be a little to "tactical" for me.

Thread Information