Thread: Mountain Man Warthog!

Mountain Man Warthog!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Always loved the warthog blade and thought it had much more potential than an uninspiring Kraton handle so I took it upon myself to give mine some personality. Step one , surgery, Remove the kraton.

Next remove the coating. I really like this stripper. No brushes, pans ,soaking ect. Spray it on , go about your business come back in 10 minutes and scrape. I just scraped it with a hunk of scrap wood with a good edge. Pretty tough coating on the Kabar, took two applications.

Next I had to come up with a plan, I traced the knife on some paper and scetched over and over until I had the shape I wanted.

In the interest of time I decided to make the handle a built up affair rather than try and drill a solid piece of wood for the tang. To keep true to the shape I wanted I had to cut about 3/4" off the tang. Still a little over 4" left, more than enough I think. I had 3 matching pieces of wood I made the day before. One the thickness of the tang and two outer pieces to make my desired thickness. I cut my middle piece to accomodte the tang and glued it to one of the outers. Then I epoxied the knife to one half. I forgot to mention. In the meantime I put a grapefruit patina on the blade.

Next put the other half on, wait.........

then clean the whole mess up and what do you get? Mountain man warthog!

Nothing left to do now but take it home and put it on the edge pro and make it a scalpel

Nice work, made an awesome blade even cooler.

You have done a great job giving it personality.

Interesting! If you knock out the thong tube pin, the handle comes off easier.....

Quote Originally Posted by broe View Post
    Interesting! If you knock out the thong tube pin, the handle comes off easier.....
    The pin is cut off in there you just can't see it. It was off quicker than you can find a tool to knock the pin out.
    Last edited by Tommythewho; 07-25-2012 at 04:35 AM.

That looks awesome, really nice work.

Nice work Tommythewho! But, I would expect nothing less. Now you need a traditional leather sheath to complete the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper99 View Post
    Nice work Tommythewho! But, I would expect nothing less. Now you need a traditional leather sheath to complete the package.
    I know, I need to get with Skystorm if he isn't too buzy

Quote Originally Posted by Tommythewho View Post
    I know, I need to get with Skystorm if he isn't too buzy
    From his recent posts, I think you might be waiting a while...

He does some amazing work though, so it will be worth the wait.

That looks amazing Tommy! Great work.

P.S. Waiting impatiently on a set of your scales for my BK16. This has gotten me even more pumped! Can't wait till they get here

That looks excellent. It's a shame they have to hide that beautiful carbon steel.

Tom
    As usual, you have done beautiful work. I have had and interest in the warthog. This inspires me!
    Thanks for posting
    Balding
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

BH # 247 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by BaldingEagle View Post
    Tom
    As usual, you have done beautiful work. I have had and interest in the warthog. This inspires me!
    Thanks for posting
    Balding
    Now you know what the tang looks like

Thread Information