Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Wanted: Food Prep SAK

Advice Wanted: Food Prep SAK

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey all,

I was thinking of buying a Victorinox Picknicker because I wanted a dedicated swiss knife for my food prep and/or kitchen needs. I was thinking of getting the Picknicker because it seemed like the simplest knife that still has the multiple capacity that I think I will need in terms of food prep. It has the bottle opener, can opener and the corkscrew. Add to that the sharp blade and I will pretty much be able to open any food/drink packaging that might come my way.

I also chose the 111m Picknicker, not really because of the locking blade, but more so because it has a longer blade than the 91mm Spartan (which has the same functions). I find that the longer blade makes it easier to slice meats, fruits, vegetables and other foodstuffs.

Also, another advantage of the Picknicker that I'm thinking of is that it would be very easy to clean, considering that it only has two layers. I expect a lot of washing for the Picknicker and it seems good that it has a very simple design compared to other thicker SAKs... less nooks and crannies at least. This is also the reason why I chose the slide lock Picknicker instead of it's liner-lock version, the Nomad. I sometimes find that the liner-lock, when in the locked position, makes it harder to clean the inside of the knife. Also I don't think I need the bottle opener to lock.

In any case, these are just my thoughts and I would like to hear yours before I go out and get this knife.

Any advice? Thanks.

Definitely in the right direction with the longer blade. I don't tend to think of using folders when cutting food, but i've cut a few limes in hotel rooms with my sak for...lets say lime wedges. Now they just need a sak with a salt shaker heh.

Longer blade will give more steel to work with and less chance any of it will get into the pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by sqchram View Post
    Longer blade will give more steel to work with and less chance any of it will get into the pivot.
    One of the things I was thinking of exactly! Helps the "easier to clean" thing. Thanks

I thought the sak locks were just for the main blade?

I thought the sak locks were just for the main blade?
    The slide locks, yes. The liner-locks, however, use both ends of the liner to lock. It therefore locks the blade on one end, and a more robust bottle opener on the other end.

And not a big concern ive seen youtube reviews where both the slide lock and liner locks leave some slight vertical play. But not important for your needs. Besides when i need a lock blade i go to my $ dedicated folder.

And not a big concern ive seen youtube reviews where both the slide lock and liner locks leave some slight vertical play. But not important for your needs. Besides when i need a lock blade i go to my $ dedicated folder.
    I actually have both the slide and the liner locks. I just don't have the actual Picknicker model. From my experience though, the blade play on both types of locks is negligible. Also, I've read somewhere that both these locks can take 300 N of force, so I think that's more than enough capability specially considering that I don't think I will be cutting anything that will bind the blade so much that it will lock when I pull it back.

That's why you're right, it's not important for my needs.

Although, to be honest, the locking blade does make me want it more... but not because of the locking ability. I like it more because the lock allows the knife to have a weaker spring. That, along with the bigger nail nick, makes it easier and more convenient to open the knife.

Consider the Nomad. Liner lock (very strong) 111 and nice in the hand - good grip.

A real "brute" for a SAK.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksterp View Post
    Consider the Nomad. Liner lock (very strong) 111 and nice in the hand - good grip.

A real "brute" for a SAK.

Thank you! I did actually consider it, but as I said in my first post, I find it a tiny bit easier to clean a slide lock SAK. Silly it might seem but the liner lock, when in the locking position and therefore diagonally oriented, gets in the way of the brush that I use. :P

And I agree, those liner locks are brutes. I have a Trekker that stands by for heavier outdoor work. But food prep rarely demands the brutality that they offer.

I think you've got pretty much figured out, and I agree with your thinking.
    Have you considered a Wenger? Their Ranger knives are a bit larger than Victorinox 111mm knives, I like them quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
    I think you've got pretty much figured out, and I agree with your thinking.
    Have you considered a Wenger? Their Ranger knives are a bit larger than Victorinox 111mm knives, I like them quite a lot.
    I'm really not well acquainted with Wengers. Any suggestions as to which models I might like for this specific purpose? Thank you.

+ 1 on the Picknicker.

If you are thinking about the Nomad I'd check out the new version with the dual-density scales, so when you get it dirty you can wash it throughly without worrying about water getting inside the scales via the toothpick/tweezers notch.

Carloxicus, is this for full time home kitchen duty?

I only ask, because I wonder why a folder of any type would be used for home kitchen duty. Picnic or out and about, I can see use for snacking, like on a hike. But home use, wouldn't a real dedicated kitchen knife be better for keeping clean? I like and carry a sak for food use while hiking/camping, but that's a different kettle of fish.

JUst wondering.

Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by jackknife View Post
    Carloxicus, is this for full time home kitchen duty?

I only ask, because I wonder why a folder of any type would be used for home kitchen duty. Picnic or out and about, I can see use for snacking, like on a hike. But home use, wouldn't a real dedicated kitchen knife be better for keeping clean? I like and carry a sak for food use while hiking/camping, but that's a different kettle of fish.

JUst wondering.

Carl.
    Oh it's mostly for food prep outside the kitchen, and maybe sometimes when I'm in someone else's kitchen and I don't like the knives that they have. Basically just looking for a good SAK that is easy to clean, has the openers, and the 111mm blade.

Right now actually, I'm really wishing they had more 111mm models that had the combo tool. Which is also why I'm thinking whether I should get a Hunter. Man, that combo tool is a better opener that the two separate ones. Sure it loses most of the driver capabilities, but that's really not what the knife is for.

Basically, its like, I always have my SwissChamp with me, but that awesome knife takes a long time to clean if it gets dirty. :P Which is why I want a simpler one. And the length of the blade actually helps keep it cleaner because you have less chances of the foodstuffs getting into the joints. If it was easier to clean when juices from fruits and other foodstuff gets into the nooks and crannies of the SwissChamp, I wouldn't want to look for another knife.

I suggest the Victorinox Waiter SAK it is like the Bantam model but it has a corkscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Carloxicus View Post
    I'm really not well acquainted with Wengers. Any suggestions as to which models I might like for this specific purpose? Thank you.
    They are basically the same as Victorinox SAKs when it comes to tool selection (some are quite unique, though) but each category is a bit different to Vics. For instance, their medium size knives are 85mm long, while the larger ones are 120mm (that small extra length makes a difference in saws!). The can opener is different (hook type) and the caplifter/flathead screwdriver locks when you apply pressure. The lock release is a button, disguised as the regular shield on the scales.

There are a couple of models that have the same tools as the Picknicker: Ranger 68, Ranger 61 (one hand opening plain edge blade), Ranger Clip 61 (same as the Ranger 61, but it has a pocket clip), Ranger Grip 61 (a Ranger 61 with black soft rubber grip inserts, comes in red or green).

Ranger 68
    ranger_68_sku.png

Ranger 61
    rangerclip_61_sku.png

Ranger Grip 61 (also available in red)
    ranger_61.823x_sku.png

I think the Picknicker is a great choice. The longer and locking blade is a good tool for preparing food in the outdoors and the other tools on it can be handy too.

The alox solo is great for food prep, easy to clean, and very light.

Don't most Picnickers nowadays have serrated blades? I have a Nomad. It has the same tool selection as the Picknicker but with liner-locking non-serrated blade. Mine is the older model with black scales, which even has tweezers and toothpick.

I like the locking cap-lifter for when I'm using it as a screwdriver or light duty prying tool -- other than that, your logic seems sound.
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information