Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you ready for some football?!? Football chatter....

Are you ready for some football?!? Football chatter....

ADVERTISEMENT
    Camps have started. and, i'm pretty excited. I grew up in Mass and have been a Pats fan since i was a wee lad. i even had a Squish the Fish shirt during our '85 run (to getting whupped by the bears...needless to say...we didn't "bury" them).

I have to admit that fantasy football has changed my football watching, but actually, it has made me tune in more. i will watch any and every game i can.

needless to say...uhhh...i like football.

And as i think about it, football is more than just football to me. really, it's how i socialize for 5 months a year. but, it's more than that too. i consider it an escape. no matter how bad my week was at work...no matter the daily stresses i am dealing with...each game is like a mini-vacation from all of that. it is something i look forward to each and every week. my best day ever is skiing hard in the morning, head home, crack a beer, and start watching football. and in VT, i can have that every weekend. it's pretty great.

sooo...as the camps start...and as the radio and TV start talking non-stop about it....and especially once that air starts to change, when you tilt your head at night and you can start smelling the "fall" a-coming...yup...to me, there's nothing quite like that.

i can't wait!

i'm not really sure why i am telling you all this. i'm sure there's other fans in this forum. tell me your stories. who are your teams? what's your outlook?
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

Pats fan here also, and like you, I enjoy watching pretty much any NFL game that's on.

I run a season pool at our office, so that helps to keep interest up.

I'll be interested to see how Manning does in Denver.

Glenn
    "you know the road doesn't end, when it reaches a bend..." - Poco

Proud Supporter of JK Knives #65

think manning will do alright in denver. still think he can play. the caveat, of course, is health. but, if healthy...think he'll do fine. decker might get a bunch o' catches.

how do you think brandon lloyd will do in NE?
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

I like watching our collage games round here, haven't got into the professional ones though.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

JK Iris Knife Passaround

Quote Originally Posted by KYenglish View Post
    I like watching our collage games round here, haven't got into the professional ones though.
    i was wrong KYe...thought you were going to make a comment about "proper" football.

and, i'll tell ya....i always wanted to get into college football. i just don't have a team. used to like BC when i was in Mass...especially when flutie was there, but just can't get into it now. and BC pissed me off when they left the Big East. i will watch the big games, but i don't have a dog in the fight. with all that said, i would LOVE to go to a big-time college football game.

guess i've given up on those jokes,

can't even find the time to keep up with "rea" football either these days though, i watch the world cup, euro's, but not league.
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives 72

JK Iris Knife Passaround

agreed. i watch the international competitions, but i can't seem to keep up with all the different leagues. i do try to watch the college teams up here play. some good cheap entertainment.

Not into it anymore.
    If the Seahawks get into the SB again(yeah right) or just have a good season,I'll watch,but I don't even know who their QB is let alone the other players.
    I used to love the Raiders(Ken the snake Stabler & Dave Casper) then Da Bears(Sweetness) & Pittsburgh(Bradshaw,Franco Swann,Mean Joe Green.....)them were the days.
    I loved watching Pit beat the Cowboys in the SB!)Hate the cowboys,(americas team my butt)& hate denver too.
    I liked watching Elway throw,but he was on the wrong team IMO.

Too much money involved now days.
    Proud supporter of JK Knives # 67,and all makers of hand crafted goodness.
    May the forest be with you.
    Slip joints for sale
    CANCER SUCKS!

Pats fan here with Wonderful Tom and his gang, including Giselle.

Quote Originally Posted by TPVT View Post
    think manning will do alright in denver. still think he can play. the caveat, of course, is health. but, if healthy...think he'll do fine. decker might get a bunch o' catches.

how do you think brandon lloyd will do in NE?
    Should be really interesting. They stocked up on receivers this year, so there will be some competition for sure. If Belicheck can get Lloyd to play, then they should be great to watch. I'm more worried about running back....

Glenn
    "you know the road doesn't end, when it reaches a bend..." - Poco

Proud Supporter of JK Knives #65

Quote Originally Posted by glennbad View Post
    Should be really interesting. They stocked up on receivers this year, so there will be some competition for sure. If Belicheck can get Lloyd to play, then they should be great to watch. I'm more worried about running back....

Glenn
    RB...yeah. i actually was one who liked BJGE. i was happy to see them actually pick up some defensive help in the draft. FINALLY!

i really liked the Lloyd pickup. i think their offense will be great (again)...assuming their O-Line gels with Light gone. hopefully Volmer and Solder can now earn their first round money.

and myke...i know what you mean. all the pro sports are big-business now. BUT...i still love it.

Yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to another season too.The Team to Beat.jpg
    "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #41.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
    Yeah, I'm kinda looking forward to another season too.The Team to Beat.jpg
    LOL. well played jackhammer. this is VT though...got a lot of New York Football Giants fans here. how's big blue looking this year?

They always seem to start out slow, then pick up momentum towards the playoffs. Probably see more of the same this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
    They always seem to start out slow, then pick up momentum towards the playoffs. Probably see more of the same this year.
    ...and then beat the patriots in the super bowl. yup. that sounds about right.

My true football love is the College game. I just think it is a better game, with more excitement. For me, there is nothing better than going to a home game in Lincoln, Nebraska; especially when we're playing a big game late in the fall. Topping my list was always the Oklahoma game (back in the Big 8 days) - typically the last game of the year. The weather was usually somewhat nasty and the two teams almost always ranked in the top 10. The entire atmosphere was magical - you could literally feel it in the air.

I enjoyed going to Lincoln early in the day, hitting a few of the bars near the stadium and drinking bloody Mary's or red beers to roudy cheers of "Go Big Red." Once the game started, the entire state is nearly a ghost town.

Now that I live in NJ, it is difficult to make others understand just how big college football is in the midwest. I've been to many Philadelphia Eagles football games, but they just don't compare to the college experience.

I don't get the opportunity to see every Nebraska game here in NJ, but since they've joined the Big 10, I am able to see more of the games than I used to (when I first moved to NJ). I'm happy that the team is now in the Big 10, but I will forever miss the fierce - yet friendly - rivalry we once had with Oklahoma. Man those were some great games.

As for pro football; I'm an Eagles fan by marriage - but this house is divided greatly whenever the Eagles play the Packers. The Packers are my team in professional football and I am hopeful to someday watch them play in Green Bay. I don't believe it will match the excitement found in Lincoln on gameday, but I've no doubt that it would be tremendous fun.

Fall has always been my favorite time of year. Football is just one reason for this, as my favorite activities were alway held in the fall: hunting and harvesting the crops. To me, fall is all about reaping the benefits of all the labor done previously in the year. I think that holds true with football - as the actual season is the reward for all that off-season work the players put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahts-a-dats-ago View Post
    My true football love is the College game. I just think it is a better game, with more excitement. For me, there is nothing better than going to a home game in Lincoln, Nebraska; especially when we're playing a big game late in the fall. Topping my list was always the Oklahoma game (back in the Big 8 days) - typically the last game of the year. The weather was usually somewhat nasty and the two teams almost always ranked in the top 10. The entire atmosphere was magical - you could literally feel it in the air.

I enjoyed going to Lincoln early in the day, hitting a few of the bars near the stadium and drinking bloody Mary's or red beers to roudy cheers of "Go Big Red." Once the game started, the entire state is nearly a ghost town.

Now that I live in NJ, it is difficult to make others understand just how big college football is in the midwest. I've been to many Philadelphia Eagles football games, but they just don't compare to the college experience.

I don't get the opportunity to see every Nebraska game here in NJ, but since they've joined the Big 10, I am able to see more of the games than I used to (when I first moved to NJ). I'm happy that the team is now in the Big 10, but I will forever miss the fierce - yet friendly - rivalry we once had with Oklahoma. Man those were some great games.

As for pro football; I'm an Eagles fan by marriage - but this house is divided greatly whenever the Eagles play the Packers. The Packers are my team in professional football and I am hopeful to someday watch them play in Green Bay. I don't believe it will match the excitement found in Lincoln on gameday, but I've no doubt that it would be tremendous fun.

Fall has always been my favorite time of year. Football is just one reason for this, as my favorite activities were alway held in the fall: hunting and harvesting the crops. To me, fall is all about reaping thee benefits of all the labor done previously in the year. I think that holds true with football - as the actual season is the reward for all that off-season work the players put in.
    great post tahts. liked what you said about the fall. i too would like to travel to lambeau...just for the history of the game. and, i hear it's a great place to watch the game. maybe i will work it so i can catch a badgers game saturday and then on to lambeau on sunday. maybe one day.

Blog Entries
    I am ready.

Would anyone be up for a JK Supporter FFL league (free just for bragging rights) - on ESPN? I could even make it a auto-draft so we would just get a team dealt, then we could have trading and drops/adds etc -

If I can get at least 9 of you (and myself) I will set up the leage.

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post
    I am ready.

Would anyone be up for a JK Supporter FFL league (free just for bragging rights) - on ESPN? I could even make it a auto-draft so we would just get a team dealt, then we could have trading and drops/adds etc -

If I can get at least 9 of you (and myself) I will set up the leage.

best

mqqn
    I like the sounds of that. BUT...what if we all pitched in like $15 ... we buy a knife from John ... and the winner gets it? just food for thought. either way....please count me in. thanks andy!

How about we pitch in $20 and the winner gets the knife scales and liners in his team colors?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information