Thread: Kabar Large Heavy Bowie Mods

Kabar Large Heavy Bowie Mods

ADVERTISEMENT
    In keeping with my Mountain Man warthog I modded my heavy bowie in the Mountain Man style too. These blades in my opinion are very high value and for the price I dont mind experimenting with them

In Condor knives Hudson Bay camp knife sheath

Looking good. I wasn't really fond of the warthog mod ...handle looks off to me, but this looks great.
    I especially love the shot of just the blade stripped, reminds me a little of a knife I used to have. Which in turn makes me want to get one of these and strip it!!

Did you drill the pin holes into the tang or are they spaced around it? Great work man, I'm not so hot on patinas but I suppose its gotta have a rustic kinda feel to it .

the wooden dowels don't go all the way through, just look like they do I think I'll polish the blade on the next one or i may polish this one at some point. I think when the wood patina catches up with the steel patina it will look more natural.

The handle on that LHB is sexy.

WOW, Tommy!!!!

Those look freakin' great, simply great work.

Moose
    Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

After seeing this I have a wild idea to make a take down handle for a heavy bowie. Would that even be possible?

what do you mean by "take down" ?

Here is a link to a very well done take down bowie. I don't have a mill, so I don't intend to do one as complicated, but this gives you a general idea. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...=take+down+wip

That's awesome! I have had the handle off of mine for a while now and trying to figure out how I'm going to do a new handle for it. I may just round the corners off of the tang and run a die down it to attach a fastener. Also, Josh, it's good to see a fellow Montanan!

so how did you take the origenal handle off to get the tang exposed?

Just remove the "sleeve" that goes through the lanyard hole and the handle will slide off. I think that I cut mine with some wire cutters on one side then hit it with a hammer and punch to knock it out the other side.
    "The Peanut is merely the larval stage of the Bowie knife..." -MacTech

Now that's quite an awesome modification. I would've gone with a slightly different style of handle, but this is quite inspiring.

Really nice work.

My biscuit would love for you to join the Fans of Becker Knives Group and the Fans of Ka-Bar Knives Group.

"You gotta step out onto the fringe of fear, where all growth happens, and roll the dice. " - some Oregonian

Thread Information