Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Fox Folly - Too pretty to use?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    391

    Fox Folly - Too pretty to use?


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Just picked up a fox folly, such a monster. Now my dilemma, it's just so dang pretty, but screams to be used and used hard. How hard is it to polish back up after all use.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    OC, California
    Posts
    859
    I use a polish called wenol. That on a cotton rag takes 90% of the scuffs out.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AsamLaksaLand
    Posts
    4,176
    All knives will remain as beautiful work of steel until they are used.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Spring City, UT
    Posts
    6,831
    I say use it, wash it, and don't worry about the scuff marks. They add charactor. By the way, I'm not one of the croud that polishes his knives.
    Heber Ellsworth
    Email: wildmanh@yahoo.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    167
    All my blades get used. Knives for work or that see heavy use don't get polished beyond a satiny sheen. HD blades I keep a good polish on.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    516
    I say get 2, one user and one to cherish. I got one gorgeous FF for my GF that gets no use obviously, and another one for me. I would never use it for chopping wood (unlikely as a weapon either) as I would rather reach for an AK, Bonecutter, Ganga Ram, etc. for the tough jobs. So they are destined to pass on to the next generation as works of art (better than those useless, chicken-scratch paintings girly men collect on their walls to impress chicks, try using a painting next time the zombie apocalypse hits

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs View Post
    I say get 2, one user and one to cherish. I got one gorgeous FF for my GF that gets no use obviously, and another one for me. I would never use it for chopping wood (unlikely as a weapon either) as I would rather reach for an AK, Bonecutter, Ganga Ram, etc. for the tough jobs. So they are destined to pass on to the next generation as works of art (better than those useless, chicken-scratch paintings girly men collect on their walls to impress chicks, try using a painting next time the zombie apocalypse hits
    Are you the guy with the youtube videos?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by dakine View Post
    Just picked up a fox folly, such a monster. Now my dilemma, it's just so dang pretty, but screams to be used and used hard...
    I don't know what yours is like, but my FF has a thin and light blade. Not sure what you mean by used hard, but I wouldn't use mine for chopping firewood, any more than I would use a fine katana for that purpose.
    Howard Wallace
    *************

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by falar View Post
    Are you the guy with the youtube videos?
    Yep, though not lately... life hit me fast and hard, so no time for that now other than as a spectator

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs View Post
    Yep, though not lately... life hit me fast and hard, so no time for that now other than as a spectator
    ha, I knew you had to be on these forums since you had so many nice HI knives.

    Good videos man, hope things settle down for you soon.

    Found this one informative, thanks

    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...o-from-youtube

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    516
    Thank you, Sir!
    Yes, it is part of my daily routine to check out the DOTD and the other posts here and on the BF's Exchange. I don't buy anything anymore sadly, but a man can dream and can certainly always learn more. This is a good place to do both with some great forumites

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by alexs View Post
    Yep, though not lately... life hit me fast and hard, so no time for that now other than as a spectator
    Your videos convinced me to snag this one. They are a good reference for HI owners. I feel for ya too, making videos ain't easy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    345
    I should agree with Howard...not for chopping wood this blade...ok not for HEAVY chopping.
    You will probably not be able to remove the marks from the blade 100% very easy.
    I personally never do...too much fuss and time needed especially after HARD work.
    This doesn't impair the blade in any way though, just the outlook...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    AsamLaksaLand
    Posts
    4,176
    Hi Dan Smithy!

    It's been sometimes! How have you been?

    J

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •