Thread: Classic Grosse Messier - Big Knife

Classic Grosse Messier - Big Knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    Here’s a piece I’ve wanted for a while. It is a custom Grosse Messier done by Arms and Armour. I drew out the design and they made it for me; although I have to say this is really a classic design that saw a lot of use for many generations.

Stats:
    20” blade
    1.75” wide
    3/16” thick at handle and tapering to 1/8” near the tip
    Wood grip full tang construction with some heavy contouring.
    Balance point 2.75” in front of the guard

All in all I am very happy with all the items I’ve gotten from A&A, they make pieces to be used that exhibit proper handling.

Here is the sheet I sent them with the rough design and some photos; I think you’ll agree they matched it exactly.

Last edited by gregorio; 07-29-2012 at 10:57 PM.

that thing makes me want to hack something...

Nicely done this certainly falls into the "big knife" category. A&A does good work.

I thought grosse messer where two handed?

Quote Originally Posted by I.N.F.K View Post
    A think the smaller ones were more common, but they come in all sizes really.

Quote Originally Posted by I.N.F.K View Post
    Grosse Messer merely means big knife although I too tend to think the big two handed single edged cutters with the side guard when someone says "grosse messer." However, that doesn't mean my initial reaction is right nor what was meant in period when someone said "grosse messer."

In today's parlance this one might be called a "hus wehr" (spelling?) as well. That is a big knife kept around the house (by the bed generally) for house defense in period.

I understand that the two-handed or hand-and-a-half size grosse messers were also called 'kriegsmessers.'
    (http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/...ser-knecht.htm)

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Hesparus View Post
    I understand that the two-handed or hand-and-a-half size grosse messers were also called 'kriegsmessers.'
    (http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/...ser-knecht.htm)

- Chris
    That's really the problem with current parlance vs period sources and even period sources vs period sources. Definitions are somewhat fluid and what one source calls a roncone another calls a halberd. Sadly there's no period dictionary of arms or anything like that. I don't even know if "kriegsmesser" is a period term. However, if you say it today we do indeed know what you mean.

i like big sharp things.. you kin call em whatever you want as long as they're shiny and sharp

Thread Information