Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What shades are you wearing

ADVERTISEMENT

Maui Jim South Shores.

Old school Italian made tortoise shell Wayfarers.--KV

I used to wear Ray Bans and would spend $150 or more on a pair. Then I got tired of paying so much. Now I wear these:

Less than $10 a pair, sold in many places, total UV protection, plus they are impact resistant. I'll never pay a lot for sunglasses again. When they scratch I toss them out and get a new pair.

I have a pair of Coasta del Mar Harpoons with the 580 glass lens. A pair of Maui Jim something-or-others, and a pair of Smith with polarized/ polarchromic glass lenses. Not sure the model as it has worn off the arms. I have had Smith glasses going back more than a dozen years when I was racing and sponsored by them. They have more stylish glasses lately and have some really great lenses for the money. Worth checking out as most people haven't heard of them.

I have also been told that there are only one or two companies that make high end lenses for all the other companies. If that is true then you might be able to get good lenses in a cheaper pair of glasses with some research. I don't trust cheap glasses and in this Florida sun a nice pair of glasses is worth it since I'm now well into my 30s and still have 15:20 vision. If a cheap pair doesn't block UV well then they can do damage because the tint causes your pupils to dilate and let in more damaging UV than no glasses at all. I take care of my things so nice sun glasses are worth it.

I've lived in Florida for 30 years, don't need corrective lenses and am 44 . You don't need to pay a boatload of money to protect your eyes.

Spy Dirk sun glasses

Quote Originally Posted by FlaMtnBkr View Post
    I have a pair of Coasta del Mar Harpoons with the 580 glass lens. A pair of Maui Jim something-or-others, and a pair of Smith with polarized/ polarchromic glass lenses. Not sure the model as it has worn off the arms. I have had Smith glasses going back more than a dozen years when I was racing and sponsored by them. They have more stylish glasses lately and have some really great lenses for the money. Worth checking out as most people haven't heard of them.

I have also been told that there are only one or two companies that make high end lenses for all the other companies. If that is true then you might be able to get good lenses in a cheaper pair of glasses with some research. I don't trust cheap glasses and in this Florida sun a nice pair of glasses is worth it since I'm now well into my 30s and still have 15:20 vision. If a cheap pair doesn't block UV well then they can do damage because the tint causes your pupils to dilate and let in more damaging UV than no glasses at all. I take care of my things so nice sun glasses are worth it.
    I know Luxottica has a hand in RayBan and Oakley, but I don't remember if it's just the optics or the frames as well. I know Maui Jim has nothing to do with them though, nor does the other company I was looking at. I forget the name, think it started with a K. Ah, quick Google reminded me it's Kaenon.

I currently wear ray ban aviators 62mm g-15 lenses gold frame. I also own a pair of 55mm new wayfarers with g-15s. I had the new wayfarers over 4 year now and the aviators for 1. Both held up very well and I don't baby them.

Oakley Straight Jackets

Quote Originally Posted by Stelth View Post
    I've lived in Florida for 30 years, don't need corrective lenses and am 44 . You don't need to pay a boatload of money to protect your eyes.
    No, you don't need to spend a ton to get glasses from a reputable company. But I'm also not going to trust my eyes to a pair of gas station sunglasses. I like nice things though, so my glasses are on the expensive side. It doesn't hurt that I have a friend who is a manager at a sunglasses store and get things for about half off.

I also forgot to mention my dislike for Oakley. I have had 3 pairs of their glasses the last few years and 2 of the 3 had some sort of coating start to peel off. 1 pair was a gift and the others, well I don't keep my receipts. When I contacted Oakley they won't do anything unless you have a receipt and I believe are less than a year old. They would do nothing for something that was obviously a manufacturing defect. I was offered to buy new lenses and for polarized would have been about 20 bucks cheaper than a new pair of glasses. When a company won't stand behind their product then neither will I. Not to mention about half of their glasses are cheap plastic pieces that snap together and look like they cost maybe $2 to make. Reminds me of something Fisher-Price would make.

I recently came across old receipts from the 90s. Several were for Ray Bans I bought then. One pair was $150. I wish I would have spent that money on a nice knife instead.

Maui Jim Lighthouse Black/ Grey. Best pair of shades I'v ever owned

I'v been wearing oakley oilrigs for over a year now every day. On occasion I switch to oliver peoples ARIC or a pair of maui jim's.

Quote Originally Posted by DJG097 View Post
    What kind of A-hole quotes himself?

Oakley Probation

At my buddy's wedding. I've got a pair of polarized Ray Ban Wayfarers.

Nothing crazy, Wiley X Airrage

Looking to snag a pair of Valor's

I'm ordering a pair of scrip Spy Quanta Crystals tomorrow.
    I need to call them because my scrip is a bit off the wall.

Blog Entries
    Oakley Straight Jackets, Half Jackets, Juliets, and looking to get a pair of Crosshairs.
    Last edited by RevDevil; 08-09-2012 at 02:19 PM.

I just had Lasik done about 3 months ago. I've been waiting for far too long (30 years) to get to wear sunglasses, just to turn around and wear some cheap crap.
    Lots of plastic lenses are curved so much that they bend light, and sort of warp your vision. It's annoying to have spent so much money on my eyes, have such good vision, then put on some cheap plastic crap o' vision lenses.
    I just ordered a pair of Smith Optics Aegis Eyeshields for my job, a quick lens change system, clear, grey, and yellow tints. Smith lenses use what they call Tapered Lens Technology, so that a curved lens doesn't distort your vision. They also use a material called Megol on the nose and temples, which gives grip when wet. These are the first glasses I've ever worn that just don't slip down when I sweat!
    These will be for work, inside and out, and for shooting. My job gives out very cheap ones for free, but they don't fit me and bend my visual reality, at least to my perception.

I also own the Smith Tactical Director, Ray Ban Predator 18, some ESS goggels, and some cheap tinted safety glasses for yard work. The Smith's are a nice fit, but the Ray BAn's glass lenses are the best for clarity and scratch resistence, of the two.

I broke down and dropped big coin on a pair of Smith Tactical Directors, polarized. I quite like them. I mostly buy cheap ones, but I wanted polarized lenses for snow and water. It was a great choice, as some places (like canada) don't seem to sell decent looking cheap, polarized glasses, but these were worth it. I literally cannot go outside in the sun without sunglasses, or I'll be crosseyed and having a migraine in a couple hours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information