Thread: Indulge yourself

Indulge yourself

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was curious to see the last knife that the makers here made for themselves, and maybe a bit of info about what/why they did what they did with it.

My last ones were these two, my CanukMuk and little buckskinner. Both were designs I did years ago, and after 2 years away from making I thought they would be good for getting back in the saddle while I had others sent out for heat treat. The buckskinner(440C) was a random design, the Muk (O1) was what I envisioned I would be happy with in a Nessmuk. Both have caribou handles I harvested from the land on an arctic island, with rawhide and micarta ends, respectively. The buckskinner has become my steak knife, and I'm still thinning the edge of the Muk so haven't done much with it yet.

You've seen my work for me- what about yours?

Well , okay, You can look at some of mine but because I don't know how to post pictures here you will have to go to customknifegallery.com and scroll down on the left hand side to find me. Several years ago I too made buckskin knives. Stay with it even if you must leave it now and then ! It sure does give me a charge !!! Frank

I sent three out for heat treat, but only have a picture of my first slipjoint, taken pre-HT. I'll take more pictures later this week when they come back.

After clearing a bunch of stuff from my queue I actually have half a dozen or so in line for myself, though they'll be interspersed with others as far as actual completion dates are concerned. One is the beat-up second of a carving knife that I ground so badly it's been waiting for cleanup since last December. Last night I got started... As long as I don't let it rush me it will be fun. :-)

I'm still chasing the grail of my perfect 3" hunting knife, and the new variations are in flight, but none done yet.

The most recent for myself that I didn't plan to send off was this quick-finish experiment:

( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...8O1-amp-G10%29 )
    Beckerhead #int((2/3)*100)
    My knives, etc.: http://crosstownoutdoors.wordpress.com/
    "You have to admit it's a good looking heart attack." --Tradewater

I made this for my EDC. I use it everyday. It is the best thing at cutting rayskin. While others are trying to cut it with siccors and xacto knives and struggle with it. This little guy will gut it like a Boss.

1/8" thick, 3" blade 01 and heat treated with a propane torch

I am going to make another of 1084 and 3V

This is one that I am strongly considering keeping for myself as my primary hunting knife. Other than this, I have only kept one other knife . . . and it had a blemish.

Mike L.

I have only made 2 from start to finish with the intent of keeping it for myself. First one was a knife to cut my cake when I retired from the Navy. Unfortunately no picture. Second was this one, (bottom)

Made the set to commemorate a pig hunt my son and I did. Top was the one my son chose. And the results

http://www.acrichardscustomknives.com
    Avatar Scott Taylor Memorial Scholarship Knife
    Photo by Bob Glassman
    Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
    OTAC USN Retired

Email woodchuckforge@gmail.com

I made this one with the intention of keeping it for long term testing. I had to keep it, it is my first locking folder!

I cut the lock with a hacksaw. I had to make several jigs to sand the pivots, shorten screws and more, it was a great learning experience. It works great!

This is a huge folder at about 9.25" long.

1/8" S7 Steel - Titanium - Black G10

Those were before it was fully finished, I heat colored the liners as well.

www.fairlyknives.com
    DFK Bladeforums Forum
    Craftsmanship Without Compromise DFK ------ Daniel Fairly Knives Connoisseur Grade Cutlery ----------------------- These go to eleven!

I made a big bush knife for myself last winter...

Here is the thread.

Last edited by Rick Marchand; 08-02-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Rick Marchand
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    www.wildertools.com
    rickmarchand@wildertools.com

I made one of these for myself, I call this my hand axe. First pic is it having been parkerized, the second one was before.
    hand axe 3.jpg
    hand axe 4.jpg

I have made a couple that I have kept recently. Here they are...
    This one was made from some of my grandfather's files and 15N20

and this is my bush knife for the chopper challenge. I just used it tonight to hack apart some firewood for my campfire.
    Matthew Bailey
    www.baileyknives.com
    "Chuck Norris cried one day when he saw how sharp Matt's knives were." Fz1boxer

I am sure you guys can figure out where I came up with the "inspiration" for this one. I made one of these for myself because I fell in love with it the first time I saw it. Of course I did not Forge the blade, but I felt it would be a good challenge for me. I had fun making it, getting the fit-up correct was frustrating and fun. Shaping the handle and re-shaping the handle taught me so much about the ergonomics of them. The slightest adjustments made the knife feel so different. I take it with me on hikes in areas with Mountain lions just in case. I did not mark this knife due to it not being my design.

90% of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb at.

Here is mine. I keep it because it has a small weldingflaw in the spine.
    It is also nice to experment with different edges and finish of the damascus.
    Damascus and Koa.

This is how it looked when just finished.

After a new edge and a deep etch and buffing.

Been carrying this one a week or so. First Knife I've made for myself in many years.

Don
    www.sunfishforge.com

2014 Fisk Micro Show Oct 10-12; Jerry Fisk, John White, JR Cook, Don Hanson III
    Member CKCA, ABS

Mr. Hanson, that folder is beautiful! Maybe some day I can aspire to that level of finish. Thank you for the inspiration.

Thanks for the replies all! Interesting variety included. I've been especially interested in the past as to what Don and Rick carry/make for themselves- thank you for showing them off, and congrats on owning a Wildertools and Hanson blade!!

Thread Information