Thread: Spyderco Lionspy or ZT 0560

Spyderco Lionspy or ZT 0560

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello all,

I have been reading the forum but newly registered; I'm looking into picking up a new folder and am interested in the lionspy and 0560. Generally, it would be an edc blade--practical tasks and self-defense. I typically carry a para2 or benchmade 15020 (walnut handle), so a medium to larger blade is appealing. (I would edc my Millie, but the laws do not allow.) Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I also was thinking about a Strider smf, but man, the price... is the smf so much better that it is worth the extra money? I know that there is a subjective side to the last question, but, again, I am willing to hear thoughts on the matter.

I am on the road for the next few days so I will not be able to follow-up right away--thanks for your advice in advance.

I just got a 0561. I was debating long before I got it. Was not all that excited about it.....that is until I opened the box and played with it. This thing is supreme in fit and finish. Likely the last folder ill ever need. Its that good, imho. Ergos are awesome, weight is lighter than I like for a knife this big, but I like heavy. For everyone else I imagine its perfect. Elmax I've played with for awhile in a spyderco mule. I'm a fan. Good steel.

Only thing other than the light weight I dont care for is the bearing pivot. Not cause it doesn't work, only cause I'm sloppy and slow on closing a folder and the bearings let the blade fall fast when using gravity. So I have to pay attention until I get used to it. I imagine most if not about all love it.

The lionspy would be my next choice, but on looks alone the 0560 gets my vote. I'm a spyderco guy. Started with them and own and carry and use more spydercos than any other brand, and I still picked the 0561.

Strider....ehhh. some love 'em. All I see is more money for less. I played with a couple....they didn't do it for me at their price point. Imo only the striders don't offer anymore than the other two choices. Ymmv.

Of course that's me and you are you. You got to carry and use it so take my comments for what they are worth......meaning not much.

Disclaimer: I'm a 560 fanboy!

All kidding aside, I do own a 560 and I love it. I have handled the Lionspy and a Strider at my local shop they both seem like nice knives. The Lionspy had a great hefty feel to it and just looks great IHMO. The Strider was a little disappointing for me. I had admired pictures of them online but the one I handled wasn't very smooth compared to my 560 and it seemed like it was a little to light. I think it's a nice knife, I just couldn't justify the price. The Lionspy on the other hand, I would like to own someday. All that said, I wouldn't trade my 560 for either of them. Once you handle a 560 you'll know what all the hype is about.

Thanks! I began as a Benchmade fan but gravitated to Spyderco due to the Para2 and the Millie--love their s30v, ergs, etc... I was nearly 100% sold on the lionspy but could not get the 0560 out of my head, especially after seeing the review at bladereviews.com. My one concern about the 0560 is whether or not dust/dirt might accumulate in the ball-bearing pivot. The way I understand it, the fewer moving parts the better, but I may be wrong about this particular part. Also do the bearings cause any blade-play? Also, I'm pretty torn between between the spyderhole and the flipper--the first I am used to the latter I have had limited experience with (a finger-launch on a little leatherman). Thanks again.

Thanks! I began as a Benchmade fan but gravitated to Spyderco due to the Para2 and the Millie--love their s30v, ergs, etc... I was nearly 100% sold on the lionspy but could not get the 0560 out of my head, especially after seeing the review at bladereviews.com. My one concern about the 0560 is whether or not dust/dirt might accumulate in the ball-bearing pivot. The way I understand it, the fewer moving parts the better, but I may be wrong about this particular part. Also do the bearings cause any blade-play? Also, I'm pretty torn between between the spyderhole and the flipper--the first I am used to the latter I have had limited experience with (a finger-launch on a little leatherman). Thanks again.

No. The Strider is not so much better. I've got ZT 0560, 0561, Lionspy, Strider DGG, SMF, SMF NSN, AR. I love my striders, but I carry the 0560. It is an awesome knife. The Lionspy is nice, I like it a lot, but it's not as nice in my hand as 560. I prefer the flipper. The pocket clip on Lion is shit IMO. It rides way to low and is hard to get out of my pocket, that's very important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aias View Post
    My 0560 has zero blade play and the bearings are doing just fine. You can easily take it apart and clean the kvt if they got really dirty. You'll love flipping action of the 0560, it can actually be addicting. My wife gets so tired of hearing me flip mine.

Got the 561... wow, this is a serious folder. Thanks for the advice--I am very pleased with it.

You wont regret that decision!
    The technology, ergos, and build quality of the 560 certainly maintain its status as kick-ass.
    Ive used mine in some pretty sloppy conditions and the kvt pivot is as smooth as day 1, if not smoother.

Los Angeles, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
    Got the 561... wow, this is a serious folder. Thanks for the advice--I am very pleased with it.
    Good choice, Aias. That one should serve you well for many years.
    Semper Fi

-Bill

Audaces fortuna iuvat

Yeah, having had a chance to handle it a bit, I agree. I can't get over the craftsmanship; no machining marks, blade is dead-center, everything is tight, and it fits my hand perfectly, regular and reverse grip. As far as aesthetics go too... love the color of the 561 and, generally, the lines of the blade.

Thanks Bronco... the good folks here were a great help.

Los Angeles, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
    Thanks Bronco... the good folks here were a great help.
    Been that way here for a lot of years. Welcome aboard.

Either folder in your consideration set would have been an outstanding choice as a utility/general task blade. I think you'll find, however, that the 0561 has some significant advantages in the self defense role - outstanding grip security being foremost among them.
    Semper Fi

-Bill

Audaces fortuna iuvat

Yeah, that was my impression immediately--the grip is excellent and the flipper acting as a guard is perfect. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Welcome to the forums. The ZT 0560 is a great knife and a favorite of mine. I hope yours will be too

Thanks, currently it seems to be replacing my Millie as my all around favorite... time will tell.

Best tactical production knife? Could be...

I acquired a 560 and it is one of the best folders I've seen. Incredibly strong but relatively light weight. When open, the balance in the hand is terrific. (I'd rather have a real Hinderer but different price range.)

No knife is perfect but his is close. Only three warnings --- gimping is aggressive --- near the flipper it should be more curved than sharp. Second, the detents on some are pretty strong, partially negating the usefullness of its splendid ball bearing system. (Although I'm getting more used to it.) Third, it's a bit of a righty knife to some due to the frame lock being on the right side (I have a lefty Sebenza and Reeves switches the lock to the other side.) Still, it's easily great. Once I get the hang of it I'll probably play with it whenever I watch TV. You just have to get used to it (especially if a lefty). I think you'll love it. make sure you give it enough of a chance, especially if not used to frame locks with strong detents. Kudos to ZT.

Get it!

P.S. A possible fourth "issue" is my hearing a rumor of a composite blade version. Then again, the Elmax is really good stuff.

Thanks; yes, an out and out hinderer would be great, but this will do... especially for now. I read about the gimping, and I don't seem to mind it yet; the detent is the best I have seen, but I keep my fingers off the lockbar and the blade swings open fast, really fast and smooth. As a righty, the bias works for me. As for composit blade, sure, could be cool, but the elmax is pretty exciting already. It has quickly become the first folder I reach for...

Thread Information