Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: svord peasant manufacturer problems

svord peasant manufacturer problems

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've heard some bad things about the svord peasant knife in the wooden handle style. things like uneven bevels, squared corners, rough edges on the handle, and quick handle breakdown. could anyone confirm, deny, or elaborate on any of these points or any others. Any experience, whether positive or negative you have with the knife would be greatly appreciated.

Svords come as-is. I knew this before I ordered them. This is a $15. working knife. If you can, hand pick one, mod it or accept the knife as-is. These are great knives. They already come with character.

should I go with plastic or wood

yep, they are not finished well, but one of the two i own worked out of the package without any work. the other one i had to play with the pivot and polish/sand the inside of the scales to get the knife where i could open and close it safely.

these are worker knives, not pretty ones and once you see it in the metal you'll get why you paid so little for it. that said, for collecting unless you love cheaper high quality tools....don't. for using, they work and work well.

42 blades/baryonyx knife fellow does his 7 point check deal before sending you your knife, so at least you know you got one that will work without real effort. i got one from him and one from another place before that. the one i didn't get from 42, required work to get it to user friendly. the one i got from 42 worked out of the package no effort.

word of advice, get the leather or nylon sheath if you are planning on carrying it in your pocket...or make your own....or rubber band it shut. i don't find these safe enough to carry without extra security. mine open in my pocket regardless of pivot tightness. as usual ymmv.

Polymer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmonkey View Post
    yep, they are not finished well, but one of the two i own worked out of the package without any work. the other one i had to play with the pivot and polish/sand the inside of the scales to get the knife where i could open and close it safely.

these are worker knives, not pretty ones and once you see it in the metal you'll get why you paid so little for it. that said, for collecting unless you love cheaper high quality tools....don't. for using, they work and work well.

42 blades/baryonyx knife fellow does his 7 point check deal before sending you your knife, so at least you know you got one that will work without real effort. i got one from him and one from another place before that. the one i didn't get from 42, required work to get it to user friendly. the one i got from 42 worked out of the package no effort.

word of advice, get the leather or nylon sheath if you are planning on carrying it in your pocket...or make your own....or rubber band it shut. i don't find these safe enough to carry without extra security. mine open in my pocket regardless of pivot tightness. as usual ymmv.
    I'm also offering them with optional Special Grade treatment now to thin/even out the factory edge and put a fine point on them as they usually come with a slightly rounded nose. Thanks for the mention!

I find they hold closed pretty well if you adjust the lower screw post so that full closure of the knife requires a gentle squeeze. The pressure from the scales on the blade holds it pretty well. Great knives for little money, but they're not going to win any beauty contests or what have you.

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

What kind of fit and finish do you expect for that price? Of course they are rough.

Its a decent 15 dollar knife. I have the plastic.

I have both the wooden handle and the polymer handle Svord peasant... the wood is much more aesthetically pleasing, however I may need to refinish and reseal the wood as the handle swells significantly when it gets wet and can make opening and closing a little challenging. At the end of the day, the Svord peasant is in my opinion an absolutely awesome value for the price paid... here's a pic of a little mod I did to mine:

svord2.jpg

One of the real beauties of the Svord peasant is that it is almost a completely blank canvas that you can mod or tweak to your hearts content, and if you completely screw up and ruin the knife your only out a couple of bucks. I plan on using my Svords to perfect my patina making skills before I attempt to patina my more expensive carbon steel knives.

/jr.
    Last edited by dustyzz; 08-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.

LOL I love it! A Spydie Peasant!

— Mervyn Peake

Yeah.... I bought a chromed clip for my Military, so I had this clip laying around collecting dust. The shape and size of the military clip is so unique that re-purposing it is problematic, however it works perfectly on the Svord peasant. I hope Sal doesn't mind too much seeing one of his products living a non spydie life, but I am a firm believer of "waste not, want not"!

/jr.

On a related note, I'd love to see Spyderco's take on a tanged friction folder. Maybe give it a scandi grind and make it an aesthetically matching sheath to the Bushcraft.

— Mervyn Peake

spyderco friction folder. that would be sick

Quote Originally Posted by rocker786 View Post
    spyderco friction folder. that would be sick
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...iction-Folder&

I love full flat grinds, but I think that for a Spyderco friction folder to sell well it'd have to be a scandi grind and themed to match the Bushcraft. Otherwise it's not going to hit that "button" for the sort of folks that'd be mostly interested in a more expensive production friction folder.

— Mervyn Peake

I can imagine in a country where you can carry assisted opening locking folders legally without any problem a friction folder wouldn't be very popular

International there is a growing population that can only use these non lockers for edc and for an edc blade I would prefer a full flat.

Yes. I should have specified that I meant the domestic market.

— Mervyn Peake

My yellow plastic handled Svord works just fine without sanding. I did have to install a larger diameter pin to keep the blade from contacting the rear screw. The grinds on the blade are notoriously uneven, but I doesn't matter to me. As others have said, it's a working knife made with good steel, and it cuts like the dickens once you put a nice edge on it. It's an inexpensive knife, so don't expect perfect fit and finish. After a little elbow grease, you can turn it into a great user.

The cosmetics are lacking but the performance is there. Just like many peasants themselves!

— Mervyn Peake

I felt that the wood scales on the Peasant were ugly, so I changed them to these instead

Yellow G-10 coarse texture ( some leftover stuff from a bad Chinook rescale). Replaced the brass stop pin with a stainless one

Quote Originally Posted by rocker786 View Post
    I've heard some bad things about the svord peasant knife in the wooden handle style. things like uneven bevels, squared corners, rough edges on the handle, and quick handle breakdown. could anyone confirm, deny, or elaborate on any of these points or any others. Any experience, whether positive or negative you have with the knife would be greatly appreciated.
    Don't like how the scales are finished? Um...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information