Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Annual Pay it Forward Buildoff

Second Annual Pay it Forward Buildoff

ADVERTISEMENT
    The time has come again to look out toward your fellow man and to consider how, as a knife maker, you can Pay it Forward.

Included are three patterns;

Flipper folder- pattern #1;

Personal SD- pattern #2;

Large hunter- pattern #3;

You are welcome to copy or interpret any or all of these patterns. If you need me to email you a copy of any of the patterns, contact me at lorien(@)bladeworks.ca.

The knife or knives that you make which spring from this buildoff should either generate funds which can be paid forward, (to a charity, a person or whatever) or the knife itself can be paid forward. Use your imagination, and don't rush your decision, it doesn't matter how you are gonna Pay it Forward until the knife is made so take your time. You never know what's around the next corner, or who might need a little extra help...

But by no means are any of these patterns to be used for the commercial benefit of the maker, until after the buildoff has concluded.
    Upon conlusion of the PiF, these patterns can be used freely by anyone.

Participants are encouraged to post their WiP here in this thread, as well as their rationaled behind their choice of pattern. The story about how the knife has been paid forward is a part of this as well, and we all want to hear about how you've paid your efforts forward.

Many of the answers to the questions you might have will be found in last year's thread; http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...rward-Buildoff

This buildoff will conclude on March 30 2013, giving you 8 months to come up with something.

For more information on the concept of generalized reciprocity, check this out; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_it_forward

I had fun with the last one. Leanign toward 3 but 2 could be some fun also!

Just a heads up but it could just be me bit I
    Cant see the first pattern clearly at all ! I can
    See what im assuming is the bolster ? Btw
    This is a cool idea !

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frc505 View Post
    Just a heads up but it could just be me bit I
    Cant see the first pattern clearly at all ! I can
    See what im assuming is the bolster ? Btw
    This is a cool idea !

Frank
    the first pattern is a flipper folder, utilizing two stop pins and either a frame or liner lock. Could use bolsters or not.

I have a charity event coming up in a month. I am making a His-Hers-Ours package as one of the ,major auction items. It will be a fancy fillet knife , a gold and sapphire bracelet, and a Japanese kitchen knife. I'll shoot some photos when they get ready for boxing up.

The Downtown Merchants Assn. holds this event yearly, and the proceeds go to several local children's charities and organizations, including CHKD.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Stacy, thank you very much for stickying this thread, and for taking part.
    I greatly look forward to checking out your PiF knife(s).

Stockton, CA - We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
    I like #2, but im really leaning towards #3. I'm gonna need the patterns emailed to me though. I'll get a request off to you soon.

I will likely sell and donate the money to my local S.P.C.A. I doubt they will want to sell it themselves.

-Xander

Quote Originally Posted by fast14riot View Post
    I like #2, but im really leaning towards #3. I'm gonna need the patterns emailed to me though. I'll get a request off to you soon.

I will likely sell and donate the money to my local S.P.C.A. I doubt they will want to sell it themselves.

-Xander
    now that's a PiF I'm totally into- I love animals.
    Drop me a line when you're ready, and I'll email whichever pattern you decide on

I'd really love to participate in this (already working on a version of pattern #2). My problem is that I don't have a channel through which I normally sell knives — most of the knives I make are for myself, and the rest are gifts for friends/family and an occasional commission through word of mouth. Any thoughts?

- Chris

yeah man, that's easy!
    Give your knife to someone- problem solved
    This is all about benefitting someone else, cold hard cash does not necessarily have to play a role.

I guess I was too focused on the money-to-charity aspect of it. Count me in!

- Chris

It depends on the quality of your knives. The knife does not have to be sold by you, or sold at all. Some ideas are:
    Make a knife and sheath and donate it to a local charity for their silent/live auction.
    Donate it to a scout troop to be awarded to the next Eagle scout.
    Donate it to the local hunting or fishing club to be sold as a silent/live auction at their next gathering.
    Donate it to the local knife club to go in their next fund raiser silent/live auction.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Thanks, Stacy. It's good to have more options.

Woohoo!!! Awesome Lorien! Have been waiting for this, just been away from the computer for a while.

Lorien, this is a great idea! Is this okay if i post it on You Tube to get it more attention? Also I would like to give the money to the Wounded Warriors Project, is it okay if I contact them and tell them about this?

that sounds awesome my man! Do whatcha gotta!

Hi Lorien, I got your mail thanks, and I am in too. Not sure which of 2 or 3 it will be, but I will let you know. As I said in my PM to you, I'd like one of the vet's organizations to benefit, so I think I will run with 3RiverBlades on this one and also donate the proceeds to the Wounded Warriors Project, if that is OK with all concerned?

it's all good, so long as it's all good!

This looks interesting! Count me in. I'm looking at doing #3, but I might do #2 simply because that's not something I'd normally make. Sometimes I like to work outside of my tiny box (and cage )

Second Annual Pay it Forward Knife Makers Build off for the Wounded Warriors Program

Second Annual Pay it Forward Knife Makers Build off for the Wounded Warriors Program Video

http://youtu.be/ch9-MZ9GwXA

Semper Fi

3 River Blades
    http://3riverblades.com/

You Tube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/3riverblades

Face Book
    https://www.facebook.com/3RiverBlades

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information