Thread: Diving in head first

Blog Entries

Diving in head first

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have had an interest in straight razors for as long as I can recall but never touched one until about a week ago.

Since that time it's been a downward spiral into a new hobby. I own 4 straights and have a fifth on the way. I have honed three, and am restoring one including making new slabs for it.

This is crazy how enticing these things are.

Oh and shaving with them is the best part
    R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

Unit, Great. Stay with it you'll enjoy many aspects of straight shaving and learn a lot. DM

Blog Entries
    I guess I failed to share pictures...what good is Friday without pictures? (Just a few quickies I took last night with my phone)

My handiwork result from attempting to tighten the original scales:

Before I buffed the blade (but after I removed the buildup/rust)

R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

Those are nice looking micarta scales and look like they'll work. What pins will you use? DM

Blog Entries
    Actually they are red coarse G-10. I worked on a ghost jade G-11 wedge tonight and found something that I'm going to try for fasteners...that if it works, it will be something I have not seen before.

If it works, I'll share some photos

It will be different for sure, and non-traditional....should lead to a pretty conflicted razor (vintage blade and modern everything else)

Blog Entries

Ok, good. Those G-10 scales are heavy. DM

Blog Entries
    I'm probably going to re-hone it (compromised the job I did last week while cleaning up the blade) and test shave to see how it feels. It is considerably heavier now and feels commanding in the shaving grip.

Unfortunately it will be a couple days before I can work on this one again. It's nice to have spares

Thread Information