Thread: CRKs and Airline Travel

CRKs and Airline Travel

ADVERTISEMENT
    I travel a lot for work. I usually pack a less expensive knife in my checked bag, like one of the cheaper Spydercos. I've never had any problems, but was wondering if having something special like a CRK knife in one's baggage increases the odds of "loss" by the airline or customs, etc. Was wondering what the consensus was here. Do you take your CRK along, or leave it safe at home?

You shouldn't have any issues with checked baggage. When I travel, I put a SAK in my checked bag.

somewhere deep in the heart of the midwest, between the corn fields and the void
    Awesome post!

I am heading down to New Orleans at the end of the month and I'll be grumpy as hell if I can't take a Sebenza.

If you guys can say how you pack them, that would be great too!
    "The edge, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over" -Hunter S. Thompson
    ISEK#13

I would mot pack the CRK at all, i pack a SAK sportsman and a caly for travel in the pockets of a rolled up pair of jeans.

Leave at home, bring a spydie. That's what I do. I don't think it will make you bag more likely to "disappear" but those things go missing often enough on their own!

I travel with a sebenza. Roll it in a sock and stuff it in a shoe is my way, so far so good. Checked baggage of course.

Take the blade out of the handle. Put some tape on the edge for safety, and use a zip tie through the pivot hole to secure it to the inside of your checked bag (most luggages have a rail of some kind). Take the handle and screws and put them in your carry on. If the blade were to go missing, you still have the handles and would only need to buy another blade.

edit, didn't read entire thread
    Last edited by roughneckrob; 08-03-2012 at 01:18 PM.

I've always hesitated to take along a knife I would sorely miss if it somehow disappeared out of my checked luggage. Great to hear some other options, like removing the blade. Not sure I'd do that every time, but good to know.

GREAT idea about checking the blade and carrying on the handles. You guys just solved my dilemna about my trip to Hawaii in 2 weeks! Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by calypso699 View Post
    Take the blade out of the handle. Put some tape on the edge for safety, and use a zip tie through the pivot hole to secure it to the inside of your checked bag (most luggages have a rail of some kind). Take the handle and screws and put them in your carry on. If the blade were to go missing, you still have the handles and would only need to buy another blade.
    I've done this very same thing. Just no zip tie, but sounds cool. No issues!

Thread Information