Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are automatic knives legal to carry with a concealed carry permit?

Are automatic knives legal to carry with a concealed carry permit?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I live in Ohio and I plan on getting my concealed carry license when I turn 21 in a couple months. I really was wondering if anyone knows if I can also carry an automatic knife with a permit in Ohio? I've searched the internet quite a bit and I can't find any information on the subject.

have you called the DA office?? when I have question about them being shipped in some ones state I call them and they have always help me out. they are not going to lie to you about it.

I never really thought about that, good idea I will call.

Read what it says on your license. Concealed Handgun License. That pretty much wraps it up. I live in Ohio and have a CHL. The answer is no. However, in Ohio the laws are very vague about autos. You can own them but you can't transfer them to anyone. You can carry them if they are not concealed but if you get caught you will lose the knife for sure. If you are only 21, forget it. You won't get by with it. An old fart like me would probably be ok as long as I wasn't doing anything shady with it. I never carry an auto when I carry a gun. I have spring assist that are just as fast and there are no questions about legality. Don't give the cop any reason to suspect you are shady. They can't argue about a gun if you have the CHL but a knife they are going to suspect you are up to something, especially with your age.
    Last edited by Bloody Boo Boo; 08-03-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Doubt it.

FL issues a CWL [Concealed Weapon License] which may now be styled "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License" and a holder of same is not prohibited from carrying a concealed auto knife.

FL is NOT OH however both are great States BUT you don't need a snow shovel here, just sunscreen.

Best.
    Unk

"Remember the men from whom you are sprung"

In louisiana, CHL is for handguns only. Auto knives still illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unk View Post
    Doubt it.

FL issues a CWL [Concealed Weapon License] which may now be styled "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License" and a holder of same is not prohibited from carrying a concealed auto knife.

FL is NOT OH however both are great States BUT you don't need a snow shovel here, just sunscreen.

Best.
    it started out as a gun License. then they started looking around and made it into a Weapon permit instead. I have a copie of the law that states switchblades in florida are a legal knife and you dont need a permit to carry one.

richard thurman, can you provide a link?
    Unk

Quote Originally Posted by Unk View Post
    richard thurman, can you provide a link?
    a link to what please?? do you want a copie of the law on switchblades in florida??

Quote Originally Posted by richard thurman View Post
    a link to what please?? do you want a copie of the law on switchblades in florida??
    Well, you did say that you have a copy of the knife laws for Florida, so it would be nice to share that; especially since you claim that automatic knives are legal to both possess (own) and carry in Florida without a CCW permit.

As I understand the automatic knife laws in Florida, you can legally own an automatic knife without a permit, but you can only carry that knife with a CCW permit.

Knife laws can be vague and subject to interpretation. Let’s cut through the chase, if you have access to the Florida statute that permits auto knife carry by citizens without CCW permits, please share that with us.

Quote Originally Posted by richard thurman View Post
    I have a copie of the law that states switchblades in florida are a legal knife and you dont need a permit to carry one.

+1 US-STEEL.

May be duplicate post here.
    Unk

ok no problem I have it here at the house. I will have to take it down and put on a thumb drive so I can email it to you. if I can figger a way to post it up on this site I will do that too. I use to sell at the flemarket and the gun and knife shows. I carried it every ware I went to and a lot of police officers looked at it and told me so. I had a DA come down to my booth and read the law and said ok the law has passed.

richard thurman, a link to the actual law or an e-mail to US-STEEL and me would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Unk

toledo, ohio BECKERHEAD 264 spydernation 419
    I wouldn't do it, chl is just for handguns, I would love to carry a bigger fixed blade like a 4.5 or 5 but it's not legal

I've dealt with cops who dont mind and cops that hate people with a chl..... Imagine getting stopped by a cop who doesn't like armed citizens, then him finding an illegal (in his eyes) knife on you

Save the money on an auto buy ammo a good holster and practice practice practice

here in florida I cant find a law on blade lenght. if there is one then I would love to know about it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Boo Boo View Post
    Read what it says on your license. Concealed Handgun License. That pretty much wraps it up. I live in Ohio and have a CHL. The answer is no. However, in Ohio the laws are very vague about autos. You can own them but you can't transfer them to anyone. You can carry them if they are not concealed but if you get caught you will lose the knife for sure. If you are only 21, forget it. You won't get by with it. An old fart like me would probably be ok as long as I wasn't doing anything shady with it. I never carry an auto when I carry a gun. I have spring assist that are just as fast and there are no questions about legality. Don't give the cop any reason to suspect you are shady. They can't argue about a gun if you have the CHL but a knife they are going to suspect you are up to something, especially with your age.
    At least here in Oklahoma, a concealed handgun license does not even qualify you for all types of handguns, much less automatic knives. If you take your test with a semi auto, you are not allowed to carry a wheel gun, unless you get a different CCW. My guess would be no, it would not allow you to carry an auto knife. But I claim to be no expert in Ihio knife law. :P

Unfortunately in Ohio, no way.

I would love to own a few, but it would be difficult at best that it wouldn't find it's way to my pocket from time to time.

why dont you people just call down to the DA office and just ask them?? that is what I would do if I have a question on shipping to that state.

It is not legal

I googled it just for giggles, what I found was previously posted on here (showed up on google) heres the post..............

Depends on where you live. Knife laws in Ohio, unlike gun laws, can vary from town to town. What's legal in Akron may not be in Cleveland or Columbus. Just about everything is OK to own/possess but carrying them can be a gray area. You cannot carry any "deadly weapon" CONCEALED in Ohio other than a handgun with CCW permit. So short blades that you can reasonably say are used as a "tool" are ok. Basically, Ohio laws are such that folding and fixed blades are OK to carry concealed if under a certain length (length varies based on municipality) provided you're not carrying them as a weapon. Switchblades, balisongs, and gravity knives are not allowed for concealed carry as they are principally classified to be "deadly weapons". Knives which are not suitable for CONCEALED carry can be OPENLY carried (not concealed) for "agricultural, hunting or utiliy" purposes. Spring assisted opening knives (not to be confused with automatic knives) are not considered switchblades and legal to carry concealed provided all the other conditions are satisfied.

Summary: Short knives that are not weapons can be carried concealed as "tools". Legal length varies by local laws - typically 2.5 inches. Long knives, balisongs, gravity knives, and switchblades are deadly weapons and can only be open carried for utility purposes. Spring assist knives without a switch are not considered switchblades.

Basically, what it really comes down to is the law is so vauge that you could find yourself in court for carrying just about any knife in any fashion based on a cop's perception of why/how you're carrying it - Ohio laws are all about INTENT. Don't sweat it. If you choose to carry a knife just keep your nose clean and don't give cops a reason to search you. Don't make trouble and The Man won't make trouble for you. I've carried knives that are technically not allowed (balis, switchblades, big folders, etc...) for years and never had an issue - then again I'm a responsible/respectable looking adult and keep out of trouble/suspicion. Plus, I'm permitted to carry a handgun so I doubt a cop with even an ounce of common sense would care that a knife I have is not allowed when I also have a handgun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information