Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fiddleback Forge Comparison Photos Round Two (PIC Heavy)

ADVERTISEMENT
    Wow, that makes it pretty clear which one I like best. Thank you very much!

Thanks for this post , Its great to see all the knives together

I found the in hand photos very useful.
    I think a hiking buddy may be my next fiddleback purchase after, I have re-fueled my bank account from my recent fiddleback purchases which have left it empty

Thank you sir ! I am looking forward to when I get a hold of a Bushboot .

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalizedLiving View Post
    Wow, that makes it pretty clear which one I like best. Thank you very much!
    You're welcome. Don't keep us in suspense...do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by niper View Post
    Thanks for this post , Its great to see all the knives together

I found the in hand photos very useful.
    I think a hiking buddy may be my next fiddleback purchase after, I have re-fueled my bank account from my recent fiddleback purchases which have left it empty
    You're welcome. The Hikingbuddy fits the hand wonderfully and is a sweet carving tool for sure. I hope you can secure one down the road as I think you will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCabre View Post
    Thank you sir ! I am looking forward to when I get a hold of a Bushboot .
    You're welcome. The Bushboot has lines of her own that make her quite different, but in a good way! I hope you get a hold of one for sure!

Mark
    Integrity Counts

Since you asked... the Terrasaur. I love it's fat, round handle, minimal guard, and thin blade stock. Best all-around user for me personally.

You wouldn't happen to have a Recluse to throw into the next pic, would you?

Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do the photos and post them here.

Hey maw,

Love the ballistol. Any recommend for a stropping compound?

thanks again for the lineup. It really helps us figure out what to get next!

thanks,
    CT

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalizedLiving View Post
    Since you asked... the Terrasaur. I love it's fat, round handle, minimal guard, and thin blade stock. Best all-around user for me personally.

You wouldn't happen to have a Recluse to throw into the next pic, would you?
    Hi CL,

Thank you for sharing. It certainly is a well thought out knife. I am sorry to report that I do not own a Recluse to throw in the mix. There are a few other models I am a miss on too and I am trying to put a remedy on that.

Mark
    Integrity Counts

Quote Originally Posted by Havokk View Post
    Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to do the photos and post them here.
    You are welcome Havokk!

Mark
    Integrity Counts

Quote Originally Posted by saucyCT View Post
    Hey maw,

Love the ballistol. Any recommend for a stropping compound?

thanks again for the lineup. It really helps us figure out what to get next!

thanks,
    CT
    Hi CT,

I use the black and green stropping compound from BRKT and Rich Notto's White Gold Stropping and Buffing Compound. I tried BRKT white compound too, but I prefer Rich Notto's white compound.

You can get the BRKT black, green, and white compound from a number of places. These include, but are not limited to (in alphabetical order):

http://www.crystalfallstradingcompan...b8b01e15682f76
    http://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river...cessories.html
    http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=637_638

I got Rich Notto's White Gold Stropping and Buffing Compound from Pinewood Forge.

http://www.pinewoodforge.com/new_items.html

I have done business with each one of the companies listed above and feel quite comfortable listing them here.

I adopted Mors Kochanski's sharpening guidance in that each time you move to a higher grit you multiply the minimum number of strokes required by 3. As an example, if the black compound required 10 strokes, the green compound will require 30 strokes, and the white compound will require a 90 strokes. It has seemed to be a pretty good guide for me.

Mark
    Integrity Counts

Thank you so much for this Maw. It's amazingly useful to see them all laid out together.

These threads are wonderful M. I appreciate it. Can I use them? Do you mind sending me originals by e-mail?

This thread NEEDS a Arete!

Awesome thread. Blessed by Andy too!

TF

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    These threads are wonderful M. I appreciate it. Can I use them? Do you mind sending me originals by e-mail?
    Absolutely Andy! You are more than welcome to use them as you see fit! I would be honored. I will also send the originals by email.

Thank you kindly.

Mark
    Integrity Counts

Quote Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
    This thread NEEDS a Arete!

Awesome thread. Blessed by Andy too!

TF
    I am working on correcting that TF!

Mark
    Integrity Counts

Awesome. Thanks.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your reply on the stropping question: somehow I missed it when you posted it, but I am happy to see it now. I like the x3 method as well—sounds logical (can't go wrong with Mors, can ya?). Also, I appreciate all the links, etc. As a follow up: Do you run your blades over stones when they get beat on? What are y'all doing out there to keep your Fiddlebacks fresh and lively? Right now two of my girls (Hunter and Bushcrafter) need some serious love and I have been stropping the them back into shape after they get a workout, but I think it may be time to hit the stones. They aren't stropping back into the razors I want them to be. I have some nice japanese water stones and am wondering what grits people go with. (Anyone please feel free to join us on this one—wait, should I be doing this in its own thread? Perhaps grasshopper, perhaps.)

In advance: thanks to all who sound off on this one. My girls demand to gleam!

Thanks,
    CT

Thanks for the Pictures,
    very nice collection.

Dirk

Mark,

Good job on this thread. I have the Bushcrafter and now I think I need the Bushfinger.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyCT View Post
    Hey Mark,

Thanks for your reply on the stropping question: somehow I missed it when you posted it, but I am happy to see it now. I like the x3 method as well—sounds logical (can't go wrong with Mors, can ya?). Also, I appreciate all the links, etc. As a follow up: Do you run your blades over stones when they get beat on? What are y'all doing out there to keep your Fiddlebacks fresh and lively? Right now two of my girls (Hunter and Bushcrafter) need some serious love and I have been stropping the them back into shape after they get a workout, but I think it may be time to hit the stones. They aren't stropping back into the razors I want them to be. I have some nice japanese water stones and am wondering what grits people go with. (Anyone please feel free to join us on this one—wait, should I be doing this in its own thread? Perhaps grasshopper, perhaps.)

In advance: thanks to all who sound off on this one. My girls demand to gleam!

Thanks,
    CT
    Hi CT,

I have used DMT's Coarse, Fine, Extra Fine, and Extra Extra Fine diamond sharpeners as well as wet/dry sand paper of various grits (400, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000) in addition to the leather strops to care for my convex edges. I spend way more time on the leather, or sand paper and leather than the stones.

I like the DMT sharpeners because they stay true (flat) and do not need replacing like sand paper. The smaller sharpeners are quite portable as well.

When I use the sand paper, I like to lay it over my leather strop.

To me, it is all a bit of trial and error.

Mark
    Integrity Counts

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information