Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a new Emerson. Need some help choosing which one to buy.

Thinking of buying a new Emerson. Need some help choosing which one to buy.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Brand new here. I'm looking to buy a new emerson to EDC, i don't really mind weight. Could someone briefly describe the pros and cons of the most popular models? Theres so many to choose from

I like the CQC-10 because it has a V-grind instead of Emerson's common chisel grind.
    I also like the deployment hole, and the ergos are the best of the model's I've held, IMO

I have carried a version of the CQC7 since 1999' first the standard 7 then a few years ago the Super CQC7. Love the Tanto for work makes a good utility blade. I have the CQC8 for skinning deer when I don't have my Nessmuk with me. Also have a CQC12 but it's a safe queen, no reason to beat it up since they are now hard to get. You cant go wrong with any of them. The CQC 7's scales are a little straight for some people. I also carry occasionally a A100,a little less intimidating for some.
    "Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skinned?"
    Proud Supporter of JK knives #62,
    Gossman Tusker User Group #33
    Order Of The Black Shamrock #1515

cqc-10 , or super commander

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
    ... and the ergos are the best of the model's I've held, IMO
    I'd have to agree. I had a Commander and thought it felt good in the hand, then I got a 10...

... the Commander has since been traded off

-sh00ter

The CQC-15 is a winner.
    And I have always been really curious about the Gentleman Jim.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. How do you guys like 154CM as a blade steel?

Start with a 7.
    Emerson's 154CM is a very good clean knife steel.

Emerson's 154cm is the best 154cm I've used. I wish all of my blades were run softer after experience with this. I'm actually starting to get fed up with harder steels now that I'm getting used to my CQC-7. I'd recommend the 7 as well, by the way. I also have my eye on the 10 and the 13.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
    I like the CQC-10 because it has a V-grind instead of Emerson's common chisel grind.
    I also like the deployment hole, and the ergos are the best of the model's I've held, IMO

Most of his knives have the V grind. The only ones chisel off the top of my head are the 7 and the Karambit. I know there are a couple others, too, but yeah. I do agree on the 10, though except for those with larger hands who might not like the handle bump.

Hell i'm torn between the 10 and the 15 for my next Emerson. I'm gonna see if my local shop (that I just found out about) has either in stock.

Horseman for sure!

I'm another one who's partial to the CQC-10. Love the ergonomics, blade shape and thumb hole. Although I'm eagerly waiting for the Mini Roadhouse to come out in BT.

roadhouse or the uber commander and my fav the cqc8

For my uses I think that the psark is the best edc Emerson. But the micro commander is right next to it because of its size. This is all based on speculation as I have exhausted my knife budget.

I just found a place to buy a SOCFK. Are they still in production and will they increase in value at all?

There's supposed to be a run of 13s coming in Sept. Just sayin'!

There are sooo many models to choose from, not just based on looks but also your "needs." From the ones I've owned:

CQC8 - is a utility / fighter. Relatively large for its slimness.
    Horseman - same as the 8 but on 3/4 scale. I love this one after switching to tan scales.
    Gentleman Jim - a more dressier tactical with a really sharp point.
    A-100 - great utility / outdoors knife
    Persian - pure evil fighter / poker
    CQC7 - a classic model, but I personally don't like tanto designs for everyday use
    Commander - another classic, but again I don't like recurves. The 8 is much better IMHO.

And still many more Emersons to own for me! Looking at the 15, 13 and 14!
    Daniel
    Only sharp knives are interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel L View Post
    Horseman - same as the 8 but on 3/4 scale. I love this one after switching to tan scales.
    Where did you find tan scales? I've thought about Cerakoting mine.

It was done by Yester5:

Liners / spacer were also Cerakoted by Jeff Forbush (Forbush Weapons Refinishing), and then the blade was converted to a conventional double bevel by richard j (on the forum)

It took a while but the final product is outstanding. The only thing not pictured is a deep carry titanium clip from USA Knifemaker.
    Daniel
    Only sharp knives are interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information