Thread: Got a new BK15 + The start of some black denim home grown micarta.

Got a new BK15 + The start of some black denim home grown micarta.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I got a BK15 a few days ago. Was at a sporting goods store and had to buy it as soon as I spied it hiding under a gerber. I figured since kbar hasn't released their factory micarta yet I'd make some of my own for the 16, 15 and maybe 14 as well.

Ok you guys can make fun of this picture...it's fair game.

Sweet. Can wait to see how it turns out. Congrats on the new knife.

Uber cool.

My biscuit would love for you to join the Fans of Becker Knives Group and the Fans of Ka-Bar Knives Group.

"You gotta step out onto the fringe of fear, where all growth happens, and roll the dice. " - some Oregonian

Looking good! I'm curious, what type of resin did you use? I may have to try my hand at making some "mycarta" soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkMatt View Post
    what type of resin did you use?
    3M polyester fiberglass resin bought at hardware store. About $15 and I used half a can (I think I used too much...had a lot ooze out the side). 1st time I've done this so I'm just kinda experimenting as I go. Seemed to work well. Set up fast tho. I was working against the clock to get all the layers of fabric stacked fast enough. It was about 90 outside yesterday and I'm sure that had a little to with the quick set

Quote Originally Posted by Eero View Post
    3M polyester fiberglass resin bought at hardware store. About $15 and I used half a can (I think I used too much...had a lot ooze out the side). 1st time I've done this so I'm just kinda experimenting as I go. Seemed to work well. Set up fast tho. I was working against the clock to get all the layers of fabric stacked fast enough. It was about 90 outside yesterday and I'm sure that had a little to with the quick set
    Better to have too much and let it ooze out than to have too little and have the micarta be dry and unusable.
    I know the block is ugly, but that's just how my first one came out, too! Ended up working fine.

Very nice, OP!

Please post pics of the final result...

Also, as far as resins go, there is a marine epoxy resin with a 1:1 mix ratio. More expensive but smells much better and gives a longer open time (slower dry time).
    I look forward to seeing the final results.

Nice work Eero, looks like a good slab, anxious for the results.

Oooh, looks like a great start!
    If you get a 5"x10" sheet for ~$7, then you're getting good economy out of the process.
    Usually a single stick of micarta suitable for one knife is about that price, and you'll get 3-4 out of a block like that.

Dang, you've given me BAD ideas.... got a huge bag of random leather scraps (cost me $1 Canadian in about 1990) that could maybe be turned into leather mycarta...
    Beckerhead #int((2/3)*100)
    My knives, etc.: http://crosstownoutdoors.wordpress.com/
    "You have to admit it's a good looking heart attack." --Tradewater

Quote Originally Posted by OREGON FAL'ER View Post
    Also, as far as resins go, there is a marine epoxy resin with a 1:1 mix ratio. More expensive but smells much better and gives a longer open time (slower dry time).
    I look forward to seeing the final results.
    I'll look into that. There is a boat building/marine supply store nearby that probably stocks something like that. I may be making another board soon. I used 17 layers of denim fabric and while it seems thick enough for 16/15/14 scales it may not for the full size grips.

I've seen some of the grips you've made. Mad respect. It's not as easy as it looks...

Quote Originally Posted by daizee View Post
    If you get a 5"x10" sheet for ~$7, then you're getting good economy out of the process.
    Usually a single stick of micarta suitable for one knife is about that price, and you'll get 3-4 out of a block like that.

Dang, you've given me BAD ideas.... got a huge bag of random leather scraps (cost me $1 Canadian in about 1990) that could maybe be turned into leather mycarta...
    Leather micarta is something I'd like to see. Bring it on! That could look amazing.

And yes, I'm happy with the $7 investment...this stuff is cheap and easy to make. Now comes the hard part...shaping it!

Your block looks good to me. I'll be interested to see how the handles turn out.

Leather micarta would be interesting. I'll have to check west marine for that resin, since I've got a couple pairs of jeans that need to be disposed of or used for something like this.

I watched a Youtbube video...I can get it done!

I shoot for approximately 28/64 to 1/2 thick on the scales for the full size Beckers. I couldn't say how many layers that is. Kinda depends on the fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daizee View Post

Sir, we already coined a term for leather micarta awhile back. If you would, please refer to it as MOOCARTA henceforth. Thank you.

"Go Forth & Propagate you ignorant git. " - Phil Gibbs

Thread Information