Thread: sharpening differant steels?

sharpening differant steels?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hopefully this is in the right spot. If not can someone tell me where to post it? Ok Im sure it has been asked several times but Im not having to much luck with the search function. I bought a Canal Street Cutlery the other day, its a trapper with the 440C blades. Im not for sure what angle is on the blades, so I was wondering if I should go with the factory bevel or if I could put a different angle to get more out of the blade? Also I have a couple knives a friend gave me yesterday, that are custom. The blades were made from an old saw mill blade, then his uncle heated them in his oven. These knives will be used for skining so I was wondering what you think the best angle would be for them. They are fairly sharp now so should I just stick with that bevel? Thanks for your help.

The wider the angle the more durable the edge, but you loose some of the finer cutting ability. 22.5 degrees is a general angle. Above that and you get in to the more aggressive blades, below that you get to the finer cutlery - kitchen knives. Fillet knives are even finer, closer to 10deg.

Once you have an angle you like then maintain it. Don't grind it back out when it needs sharpening. If you keep the edge up it will be a lot less work, whereas if you beat the snot out of the knife and don't sharpen it for a long time (say, go from razor sharp to butter knife) then it is going to be a bear to work the edge back. Maintaining it as you go will be easier.

I personally love the shallow angles and find with proper technique you will not chip them out. However you may need a steel and heat treat combo that can support it. I would recommend spending a day tinkering and slowly lower the angle until you get what you want and what the steel/ht combo can support. If you get too shallow and you find your edge chipping out or rolling then you can convex it to kind of compromise to keep that apporx angle.

good luck =)

oh yeah maybe practice on a junker knife

Thanks guys. Ive got several junkers, so I belive Ill get to playing around with one of them.

Thread Information