Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional and Modern pairings

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Well I pretty much always carry one of each. Here are a few combos I've carried enough to take photos of, in fact I carried the Kopa-Nut combo just last week

Amherst Cutlery Peanut in Burnt Stag, Spyderco Kopa in Black Quince Wood

Dowell Trapper in Natural Micarta, Spyderco Caly 3 in G-10
    "People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything"

For about 10 years I only carried smaller traditionals, and was really happy with my small canoe from EYE, the same size as a CASE butterbean.

Went back into construction full time, and carry a combo daily. Usually a RAT 1, JYD II combo, a Tyrade, etc., and always a smaller traditional. I have a couple of medium to small stockman patterns (including a Dan Burke medium stockman) and a few others that are always on board.

On weekends, I feel a bit naked, but only carry one traditional folder. Usually a Barlow, soddie, or CASE jack. Even though I notice the lack of a bigger knife, I am never "underknifed" on the weekend with one of those in my pocket.

Robert

Same Spyderco and a Hen & Rooster pen.

For about the last two years I have carried just a slipjoint. I am never a two knife guy unless it means a folder and a larger fixed or machete. In those cases there is a specific need.

My collection of knives is extremely diverse. That's because I love knives.

In the last 2 years I have carried one of my sebenzas for a week to Florida. This week in Florida I only brought my new GEC 42 in my pocket and a spyderco civilian and busse ASHLE in my back pack.

The 42 gets the pocket time and the daily use. The other two just get ignored in my bag.

I have started keeping a spyderco atlantic salt (H1) in my camelback for mountain biking. The GEC rides in my pocket. I bring the serrated rustproof spyderco as an emergency/safety knife.

That's about it for me. I don't see myself switching back to my moderns anytime soon. That's not to say I don't like them.

Kevin

I always have a traditional on me (usually a slippie, but sometimes my Buck 55 lockback). Beyond that, my "modern" complement will be a Victorinox Rambler or Leatherman Micra on the keychain .......... or sometimes my Leatherman Wave on my belt. I sold off all my modern plastic, one-hander knives.

-- Mark

I almost always have a slipjoint in one pocket and either a locking traditional or a locking,modern, one-hander in the other posket along with a Leatherman Juice in a belt pouch. It changes up frequently.
    Last edited by Modoc ED; 08-11-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    ED

I always carry one of these:

from more urban to more wild enviroment.
    When doing some activity with a some sort of risk (actually not risk but an hypothetical need of doing emergency cuts) like sailing, mountain biking, skiing, etc. Usually I have one of these clipped in my right front pocket:

sometimes instead of the spy's I'd carry a leatherman charge TTi.
    Oh, and the Paramilitary 2 is my living room companion 'cos is great to play with the compression lock.
    regards,
    Mateo

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    For about the last two years I have carried just a slipjoint. I am never a two knife guy unless it means a folder and a larger fixed or machete. In those cases there is a specific need.

My collection of knives is extremely diverse. That's because I love knives.

In the last 2 years I have carried one of my sebenzas for a week to Florida. This week in Florida I only brought my new GEC 42 in my pocket and a spyderco civilian and busse ASHLE in my back pack.

The 42 gets the pocket time and the daily use. The other two just get ignored in my bag.

I have started keeping a spyderco atlantic salt (H1) in my camelback for mountain biking. The GEC rides in my pocket. I bring the serrated rustproof spyderco as an emergency/safety knife.

That's about it for me. I don't see myself switching back to my moderns anytime soon. That's not to say I don't like them.

Kevin
    This is more or less how I go about things. I only own 1 modern folder and I take it with me when I expect things might get extra dirty like camping and such, even then it's used as a backup. On a day to day basis I carry only a single knife and an Opinel #9 in my pack. I don't like carrying many things in my pockets so 2 knives has never worked for me.

I only carry traditionals now, mostly a CV peanut. I do use a Spyderco Stretch in the kitchen though, and when i go hiking/camping i usually take my Izula to compliment the vic farmer that lives in my backpack.

some older pics for the thread

Last edited by jacktrades_nbk; 08-09-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: pics added

Back at the place for a moment had a chance to snap a cell pic of my three along for the trip.

Pulled out of my pocket and taken right on the hotel room table. I always pair a traditional with a OHO.

Nice combos guys especially Simple Man's! I have too many not to carry them all and yes I like them! I'm carrying this combo through this week....

My favorites and I carry them every other week.

That's doin' it right, Peter. What steel in the Spydie?

These two have been my constant pocket companions for a few months now.

Was

Now

Or one of the Spyderco slipits

Based on the very strict Traditional forum rules I'll only post my slippie but I also carry a CRK small Insingo. It has no clip and slides into my pocket like a traditional. It also has a similar blade shape as my favorite slip-joint:

The only time I carry two knives is when I bring the balisong to flip, otherwise it's a swayback jack in the right front pocket

Sounds like only a few us work the traditional/modern combo with a big traditional and small modern.

My modern is a leatherman Micra which rides in my LFP with my money clip.

In my RFP I carry a traditional which is almost always a locker with a 3" blade +/- a bit.

This shot isn't current or complete but will give an idea. The 110 isn't pocket carried but the rest are.

Folders by Pinnah, on Flickr

I should mention that all of my lockers are one hand open one hand close. Not as fast as a flipper but very doable.

Traditional and Modern pairings

Also a sak or slippy and a oho folder. My sebenza has been gaining a lot of pocket time but I also always have a sak, multi ect on me.

It seems a lot of us like the sebbie. It is such a sweet knife.

Sent from Ash forum mobile

Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    That's doin' it right, Peter. What steel in the Spydie?
    CPM D2 powder tool steel, it's my favorite steel!

Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information