Page 4 of 125 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional and Modern pairings

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    It's funny this thread got started, I've just recently started packing a modern folder again. I don't even really like it or use it but it's fun to flick open. The exception is a Leatherman. I always have a Leatherman and use it daily.

Ben

Here's what I'm carrying currently: Leatherman Charge, Keith Johnson Lanny's clip, Spyderco Native 5. Sorry for the terrible picture.

I do not usually pair a modern and a traditional, simply because I rarely carry a modern knife.

I do, however, always have my rainbow Kershaw Leek clipped to a jersey pocket when I am riding my bicycle. I am considering keeping my recently acquired and dyed mini copperlock in the seat bag so it will always be with the bike (the SS can withstand the abuse of this location where a carbon steel blade could not). I know from having road accidents that it is possible to be separated from the contents of jersey pockets.

Thanks, I have been carrying that G-10 E4 going on 4 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Parker View Post
    Nice combos guys especially Simple Man's!.....

I like to pair a one-hander with a tradtional most days, Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw and Buck are the moderns. I always have a slipjoint or two in my pockets, from a tiny trapper or peanut all the way up to my new Case Backpocket.

This past week at summer camp I paired a Spyderco Stretch with my Buck 301, 303, Case BSA stockmans and/or a Wenger SI, Weidmannsheil stag Scout and a BSA/Wood Badge SAK Huntsman. Brought my Boker Carver Congress too but just never got a chance to do any carving. Can never have too many knives while camping, Be Prepared!

I like crossovers too, my favorite is the Kershaw Double Duty, traditional style double end with clip and wharncliffe, combined with one hand opening and liner lock. Sweeet

Here you go...a gimmicky Sypderco slipjoint

Campbell

Quick! Somebody post a peanut and scare it off!
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

Click here to update user Group.

List of BF Dealer Members

I never really carried a modern folder on a daily basis. The only modern folder that I took around has been a Victorinox OHT paired with my Opinel in the outdoors. I gave the SAK away to my cousin though...so I guess I don't own any modern folder anymore.
    Also, I have to say, one knife is more than enough for me, and now I got into American multiblades, I often feel that one knife is overkill due to the 2 or 3 blades. I still might carry a second knife for outdoors, but in that case it would be a small fixed blade or something like that. I can't see myself carrying a foldr in each pocket anytime soon

Fausto

Here ya go!

I gave one of those Spyderco Bug's to my wife to keep on her keys, and she does use it.

I said first, I don´t like them... maybe these nice pics changed my mind... I gonna dig out my modern knives from the depth of my rucksack and trying to carry them, together with my beloved traditional knives.

Maybe at the end of the week I did some digging ready for showing more

Kind regards
    Andi

Typically I carry a traditional and either a Leatherman or Swisstool. The closest thing to a modern knife are some SAK OHTs or Rangers which I tend to take hiking or camping.

I have a couple moderns in a drawer, but never really use. I have a cold steel voyager, which I LOVED, but that fancy steel is damn near impossible to sharpen by me.

As a recent convert to Traditionals I am starting to carry Traditional-only combo more and more.

I usually carry a bigger traditional and a smaller traditional combination but on occasion carry a OHO with a smaller traditional.

My combination is either a Med Stockman with a Peanut or a Toothpick (from yours truly popedandy).
    or a Spyderco Milly/Kershaw Leek with Peanut/Toothpick. Those two survived the weeding out process of my modern folders.

I still do enjoy using/carrying my modern OHO but I NEVER carry OHO only. It's pa
    I do carry traditional only but never modern OHO only. It seems like that's the pattern lately at least.

I like the convenience of OHO when I have to cut things quickly (sometimes I feel like I need 3-4 hands with my little baby running arround)
    but I like to use my traditional when i am outside the house. My wife like my traditional knives as well since she doesn't have to fiddle around with locking mechanisms.

KG

I have this picture of my EDC handy (sorry, I'll try to get a good pic of just the knives), but 95% of time when I leave the house it's with this.

SOG Flash II and Case Peanut CV Stag.

I work in an office environment, so the SUPER deep carry of the SOG is really appreciated.

Having been a street cop for the past 33 years(recently retired) carrying this combo was natural for me. I always carried one of my large tacticals clipped to an easy to reach pocket for emergencies, always backed up by a stockman of some type/brand in my pocket. I used to always keep a large SAK in my gear bag for the tools. Now my combo is usually still a stockman with a Cold Steel or Kershaw clipped to a pocket.
    Must be the "cop" in me still thinking of possible emergencies.

Well, I stopped at the shop, where I bought my Friedrich Hartkopf with the ebony scales and looked for something modern... I found a little Böker Gnome, which I got interessted in. I like this little fixed blade somehow. The name it was given to it, is telling the truth, if you ask me

So, my EDC for this evening

This Stockman is a very great fellow for me...

Kind regards
    Andi

Quote Originally Posted by Humppa View Post
    Well, I stopped at the shop, where I bought my Friedrich Hartkopf with the ebony scales and looked for something modern... I found a little Böker Gnome, which I got interessted in. I like this little fixed blade somehow. The name it was given to it, is telling the truth, if you ask me

So, my EDC for this evening

This Stockman is a very great fellow for me...

Kind regards
    Andi
    That little gnome, caught my eye the other day too. When I've got some extra money on hand I'll be ordering one too, I believe. It would go great paired with my tiny schrade 240TX.

I gave my Camillus jack a break and paired this new Dragonfly with my Elinox today.

This has got to be my favorite combo of traditional with modern. The military will be a traditional soon enough...

this one you can see the size difference, the millie is a great back pocket knife.
    ¤ Jeff

Looking for 66 calf roper(ebony or stag) or slim(yellow rose or stag)

Since Frank let this one run (which is ok by me ), I'll join in the fun. This is what I carry most days:

The WH is a 4 1/4" closed button lock, carried in a clip sheath. The Joel Chamblin Wharncliffe Trapper is 3 1/4" closed. The perfect combo for me.
    Last edited by Peregrin; 08-22-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: typo

Those are both lovely, Gary.

Thanks Gary. You kept saying button lock and I always wondered what it was.

Its funny, my dad who is also 62 carries the ebony 85 I gave him and also an Emerson 13. He likes to have both and he beats on the Emerson a lot and keeps the 85 nicer. I gave him both so cost didn't have an impact

Page 4 of 125 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread Information