Page 7 of 126 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditional and Modern pairings

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    This is the combination i been bringing to work lately
    i think i have better knives than the dozier, but none that ride so flat in the pocket (it at least shares the pocket, the other moderns i have a pretty thick)

Jeff, that Milwaukee Utility knife is the best I've ever owned!!!! and I like you have many of them but it's simply the best. When working that's the one I carry as well.

Happy Thanksgiving by the way

Paul

Paul, a happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.

I agree its the best. Only after having it now for over a year am I really starting to find some flaws in its design. The number one is no extra blade storage, while it hasnt been a deal killer it is a factor. Those 4 little screws that hold the blade cover on, they keep coming out and they are getting stripped. Think I will super glue them in place. I really cant ding it anywhere else. I love the ergos and the fast open/close.

I have been admiring the new dewalt folding utility knife. A little fatter but folds smaller and holds 3 blades. Sure its just a matter of time before I try one out. Ill let ya know if its worth picking up over the milwaukee.
    ¤ Jeff

Looking for 66 calf roper(ebony or stag) or slim(yellow rose or stag)

I bought the Sebenza in 2007. The whittler makes a nice addition to it.

That is one fine pair, Kevin!!

Thanks Gevonovich and I agree

I finally got around to making a picture of a typical modern/traditional pairing. I have used this one or a minor variation at times when there is some ugly work to do. The modern is a Kershaw "Needs Work" and this particular traditional is a Craftsman peanut that Vince gave away in 2010 if I remember correctly.

When I have a big modern (and most of mine are bigger than my traditionals), I will use a small traditional for regular cutting chores. Especially in public.

Ed J

An unusual yet workable combo.

I really like how this thread gives some perspective in both directions.

I didn't post here originally, it just felt kinda funny.
    But I like the way these look together!

Never say never!!!
    -Mike

I really dig this pic...

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post

An unusual yet workable combo.

I really like how this thread gives some perspective in both directions.
    Nice scales, did you make those yourself? Certainly looks a tiny bit classier than the standard Emerson

Most of the time when I don't carry a small fixed blade it's this one paired with whatever traditional is in the pocket.

^^ That Outlaw is looking better all the time!
    Never say never!!!
    -Mike

No sir, its an EKI handmade original. At the time I spoke to Mr. Emerson on the phone and he said it was the only wood handled knife he had made to date. That outlaw is looking awesome! It makes me want to pocket mine today. Im a huge fan of the micarta sebbies too (carried mine for a year straight).

Thanks, I like how the patina is so even on this one. The trick is just to make sure the whole blade is covered with juice when cutting fruit as it seems
    And I don't regret getting the micarta version at all, it feels much warmer in hand and looks more interesting.

What kind of wood is that? It looks really funky with those 'splotches' in the midst of the regular grain (in a good way that is), I've never seen anything quite like it.

Yup, a great looking patina you have going on. I don't remember the exact type of palm wood that Mr. Emerson told me it is. After a couple hour conversation on the phone with him he refinished the entire knife for me and sent it back with a hand written page long letter on all the build and material details. I will have to dig it up later. I do know he told me he had never seen or expects to see another piece of wood like that one. I like it and in person it blows away what my meager photos show for it.

Looks like what I've heard people refer to as "lacewood." Very nice combos, guys!
    formerly known as alex_111
    (August 2000 - September 2004)

Always looking for Italian stilettos. Send me a PM if you've got one that needs a new home!

In so far and in the hopes that this thread persists as a variant of the what are you carrying today thread and thus open to repeats....

Today, like most days, I'm carrying this...

Every Day Carry Pairing by Pinnah, on Flickr

There's really precious little I'm not equipped to tackle with this combo. The exception would be a need for pliers. For this, I have a backpack with a larger multi-tool stashed away. I reach for that maybe once every few weeks? The Opinel and and Micra both get used multiple times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by pinnah View Post
    In so far and in the hopes that this thread persists as a variant of the what are you carrying today thread and thus open to repeats....
    Well, if you're open to repeats, I'm carrying this pairing again today as I do most days. I'm also carrying my Leatherman Juice C2 in a belt sheath as usual.
    Last edited by Modoc ED; 08-11-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    ED

I may have missed the intent. Edited out .....
    Last edited by ptradeco; 12-14-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    Brad
    Avatar: Syracuse Knife Co. and Ken Erickson Rendition
    WANTED
    OLD SHEFFIELD AND PRITZLAFF SPRING KNIVES

These two work well together, Boker Evergreen in olive wood and a ProTech TR3, #7 of 24, in Chad Nichols Kalipso stainless damascus and abalone thumb button.

Page 7 of 126 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread Information