Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ti-lockness Monster

ADVERTISEMENT
    I will get one eventually but I haven't yet, simply because I ha a hard t,e operating the knife at BLADE a couple years ago. It felt extremely awkward. However, I will probably still buy one because that's how sad of a man I am.

Thanks all for the nice comments and glad to see it was useful/ helpful in some way. Reviewing this knife was really fun and I give all the credit to Chris Reeve and his collaborators since they put something amazing together. The only thing I have been thinking is “how come I didn’t discover it sooner?!”

Esav - I will put up some photos of the ti-clip for you. After switching it back on since having the sebenza clip installed, I noticed the difference right away. One can hardly feel it in the palm in either grip and something else to note is the little extra it protrudes from the end of handle. On the outset this seemed a bit annoying but it actually adds a little more purchase for the ring and pinky finger only aiding in a better grip.

Quote Originally Posted by cziv View Post
    Thanks for the in-depth review UrFrndlyNebrhoodS. I would second the request for a quick edit to separate walls of text and help me to re-read it without losing track of where I'm at.

I'd also request some pics of the knife open alongside knives (small & large Sebenzaa, Umnis) or other well known folder/s for scale and to prove that it's all that big like you state. A ruler would even be great if you don't have anything for scale.

I don't like it for every reason you stated but now I'll go watch some YT videos on it.
    Thanks Cziv. I appologize if there are any grammatical errors as Math was always my stronger subject.

Wish I had a large or small sebenza available to compare it to but since receiving the Ti-lock, I didn't really have a need for them (with exception of the small seen in picture which is my friends). So alas, they are in the hands of other CRK fans.)

If anyone owns a Ti-lock and small and/or large maybe they can lend a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by UrFrndlyNebrhoodS View Post
    Thanks Cziv. I appologize if there are any grammatical errors as Math was always my stronger subject.

Wish I had a large or small sebenza available to compare it to but since receiving the Ti-lock, I didn't really have a need for them (with exception of the small seen in picture which is my friends). So alas, they are in the hands of other CRK fans.)

If anyone owns a Ti-lock and small and/or large maybe they can lend a hand.
    Nah, it's me who apologizes. It was mentioned once and I shouldn't have mentioned it again.

That was a super review!

Quote Originally Posted by cziv View Post
    Nah, it's me who apologizes. It was mentioned once and I shouldn't have mentioned it again.

That was a super review!

No worries mate. Just head on over to YouTube and let the videos ease your worries.

Quote Originally Posted by NvG79 View Post
    Thanks for your review man......
    You just made me order a Ti-Lock.....

Dont be surprized by a phonecall of an angry wife when she finds out the creditcard charge.... I'll just blame it on you

LOL, you didn't give her the 1-800-knfahol number?

Let us know yor thoughts and impressions when it arrives. Congrats.

Crap.... Wish we had such a nr in Holland!!

I'll keep you guys posted!!

Awesome review. Now I want one. Anyone know how they carry on the left side? I'm assuming they don't make a dedicated lefty version

Dude..... Its ambidextrous Dude ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by NvG79 View Post
    Dude..... Its ambidextrous Dude ;-)
    To open, yes, but I was wondering if anyone had experience with carrying it in the left pocket. Does it come out in a natural easy to open position, or do you have to awkwardly turn it over in your fingers before opening it. I mean before opening it, Dude.

Ah.... Thats what you meant Dude.....

I wouldnt be surprized if CR offered a designated lefty version with the clip on the other side?!

I thought you could attach the clip to either side.

I will read this all later, but your pictures are awesome. I am really interested in this knife, looks like you wrote up a good review...

Cool

Update:

After having carried and used now for a little while more I thought an update might be welcomed. The Ti-lock is going strong in every way and when riding in the pocket, the feeling persists that “Any smaller of a knife and the occasional desire for a larger blade would pop up and anything larger and it would be too big for the pocket.” The Ti-lock just meets that perfect EDC knife ridiculously well. It is hard to describe when one is carrying a knife that is outwardly uniquely and elegantly styled, super qualitatively crafted, function oriented and performance mindedly engineered.

Some of the initial aspects I loved about this knife are still there and even more appreciated and there are some new ones. One of the sweetest things about this knife is the weight. The 3-point something ounces feels awesome in the pocket or on the waistband with any clothing. If one is hiking, biking, or jogging the weight really makes a difference as opposed to a 4+ ounce knife. The stonewash finish is a joy to behold and the anodized Ti spring is holding up well. Not sure if it’s the spring tension or pivot tension that is loosening up but it makes for opening and closing even smoother than before. Yet still solid in everyway, the Ti-lock is more fun to play with than any of my past sebenzas. It is super easy for the thumb of either hand to find the bronze stud and whip it up like it was begging for it.) Even more fun is the closing action. With the breaking-in period nearly gone, a small flip of the wrist toward the spine of the knife and a flick of a thumbnail and the thing flies closed with a satisfying click. It is great to flick the knife open but I rarely find myself doing it, not for the sake of not wanting to but out of over-carefulness and respect for the lock. I know CRK doesn’t condone it with the sebenzas and I wouldn’t think they would any less the Ti-lock. Even though it probably wouldn’t hurt it, eventually too the titanium cutout in the handle could potentially wear down over time resulting in a less stronger lock. Also the spring clip is gradually becoming easier and easier to depress as it is a heavy sucker. It is quite a bit thicker than the sebenza clip in case the last couple pictures made it hard to see.

Thanks to a good bud, he let me borrow his small unique 21 for comparison purposes since all my sebenzas have moved away. There were a few things I forgot to add in the original post regarding specifics of ergonomics. Very similar to the older regular sebenza models, the edges on the Ti-lock are rounded smooth instead of the defined cut patterns on the current 21 models. Last time you used your sebenza, where did you place your thumb when cutting? Most would say the thumb rests on the spine of the blade, yes? Well, because of the sweet design of the Ti-lock, the thumb actually rests half on the dual thumb stud and spring and half on the handle body. Since there is more surface area where the thumb meets the knife, the feeling is more comfortable and less prone to uncomfortability due to long periods of usage. Same goes for the finger groove on the bottom edge where the middle joint of the index finger rests in the first grip (non-choke up). The Ti-lock has twice the surface area for gripping than which the integral lock on the sebenza dictates. All of these things are quite small factors by themselves but added together they make for a much more ergonomic and comfortable grip.

With all the positives the Ti-lock has going for it, I did notice a few things that could be potentially seen as negative aspects. Due to the nature of the Ti spring lockand where it attaches to the blade via the seated round hole, it does create a non-smooth surface. I suppose bacteria, etc. could potentially get lodged in the grooves there and fester if food preparation is the task at hand and the blade isn’t thoroughly cleaned and dried. Microscopic bacteria can live in some crazy environments these days so I wouldn’t put it past anyone to argue it. Another potential negative could be the blade size? Yes, I said it and doing so does contradict the previous mentioning of the blade size being a plus. The blade size rocks in many useful ways but could potentially cause a danger alert with non-knife enthusiasts. I have taken the Ti-lock in urban settings like outdoor malls, grocery stores, etc (basically everywhere an EDC would go). I have hesitated many times to whip it out for the simple fact it could make other people uncomfortable. The nature of the design and blue anodized spring do take away from the “killer instinct” a more hardcore knife might exude but nonetheless the blade is quite large.

As far as my personal CRK collection I don’t see the need to own a Large sebenza and especially not a small in the future. I have EDC’ed both at different times and enjoyed them but the Ti-lock is too ergonomic, too elegant, perfectly weighted, and now really easy to open and close. Personally, I don’t believe the small gain in blade length a Large would produce would be enough to sacrifice ergonomics, blade shape, and weight. For all intents and purposes, the sebenza is simplistic elegance. The Ti-lock is just a more advanced version of that.J

~happy cutting

Great follow up. I enjoyed the read.

Ive seen a few videos where the knife can be flicked closed, but for the life of me, i am unable to!

Thanks your review just cost me money I don't really have.

Sorry about the cell phone pic, but here is a small 21 and a Ti-lock

Yes, I carry mine often too. How do you clean and lube yours? Until now I've hesitated to disassemble it. Just put it under the watertap and lube it with victorinox oil. Do you Ti-afficionados have some experience in dis- and especially reassembling it? Is it as easy as it is to do on a Sebenza or Umnumzaan?

Quote Originally Posted by lemmuhj View Post
    Great follow up. I enjoyed the read.

Ive seen a few videos where the knife can be flicked closed, but for the life of me, i am unable to!

Thanks. The way I have had the most luck (and I would say probably 9 out of 10 times) is by putting the edge of your thumbnail at about 7 o'clock and then in one motion flick it out 45 degrees with a stiff wrist drawback. Basically it is like flinging the wrist toward the the outside but I keep my wrist fairly stright so it is more of an arm motion. Although right-handed by nature, oddly enough I mastered it first left-handed. It seems to get easier everyday and now it is like second nature. GL

Quote Originally Posted by Art Lewis View Post
    Yes, I carry mine often too. How do you clean and lube yours? Until now I've hesitated to disassemble it. Just put it under the watertap and lube it with victorinox oil. Do you Ti-afficionados have some experience in dis- and especially reassembling it? Is it as easy as it is to do on a Sebenza or Umnumzaan?
    LIke you, I too haven't dissassembled it yet though I have loosened it by using two allen wrenches. The bolt came out fairly easy but had a tough time splitting everything apart. So I ended up putting it back together tightening it back up. The water method works well for me and has cleaned out fairly well. Another interesting thing is it looks like the back spacer where the lanyard attaches is screwed into the handle body on the Ti-lock as opposed to the sebenza where the spacer rides freely.

Great review.
    "SIMPLICITY IS THE KEY TO BRILLIANCE"
    Bruce Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information