Thread: Help

Help

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have a Randall model 14 in stainless and I can't get an edge on it no matter what I do. It wasn't sharp right out of the box so I started working on it. I have tried high quality whetstones, a Lansky system, and various diamond hones. I have used the sharpening method recommended on the Randall website. I don't know what else to do except use my Dremel tool, but I hate to resort to power. The edge is no different now than it was when new. It is as though I haven't even worked on it. By the way, what kind of stainless does Randall use and is it forged or stock removal ? Can someone offer some suggestions ? Thank you very much in advance for responding.

Hi and welcome. It's forged 440B/C. Do not take a Dremel tool to it! There are many maker/hobbiests here that could help you, or sharpen it for you. Use the search engine - or, go to the maintenance forum (oh, see ya found it), or send it back to RMK with a note to make it freakin' scary sharp. As to your question tho'; I use crock sticks to align the edge (the carbides), then strop it sharp. Hope that helps.
    #14 in RyanW's 2014 GAW' Randall Knives - A Reference Book' www.bluestarknives.com

westfi1, i can sharpen it up for you or help you get it sharp. and like melvin said, do not take the dremel to it. here is my sharpening service thread you can check out with posts of members i have sharpened knives for. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ife-sharpening
    I offer professional knife sharpening 40 years of experience, 22 with the paper wheels. $1. per inch for a v edge, $2 for a convex. I sharpen all edges & "Ti" knives, serrations. plus i do regrinds. Check out my website.http://sites.google.com/site/richardjsknives/Home

Thanks Rich; it was you that I was thinking about in my post - just didn't know if I should link directly to your thread...
    #14 in RyanW's 2014 GAW' Randall Knives - A Reference Book' www.bluestarknives.com

Thread Information