Thread: Interesting request

Interesting request

ADVERTISEMENT
    I got a request for a dangler sheath but with the loop removable. Also he wanted the retaining strap removable with snaps..

I'm sure there's other ways to solve this but I kind of like this solution.

The loop of the dangler is a fixed entity with the ring attached. The photos will show the process of removing it.
    I think it's a safe and elegant solution as snaps kind of worry me sometimes.
    This way not only allows for the removal of the retaining strap but in this way it is not bulky or in the way of the main loop and actually acts as a second retaining snap for the main belt loop.
    The little strap on the back makes sure that the main belt loop can't come undone without intention.

It was a head scratcher but I like it.

You'll notice that nowhere on the sheath (inside or out) is the flesh side of the leather showing. (except the dangler loop) I did this by splitting a thin piece so that there is good side out on all surfaces. I like having a splitter.

very elegant solution.

A well thought out solution, my friend. The cross safety strap on the back should insure no accidental loss of the entire sheath. The extra attention of covering all of the exposed flesh side of the leather with top grain is the final mark of excellence, as is the creased edges on the strap work.

Paul
    Instructional DVDs now available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com/ ***New third DVD is now available at the same web site***

Paul Long------108 Briarwood Ln. W------Kerrville, TX---78028-9311----830 367 5536 pfl@cebridge.net

Thanks!!

Paul, that creaser for the edges is addictive. It adds so much of a finished quality to everything. The splitter too gets to be part of every sheath pretty quickly. I always disliked having keeper straps with top grain on one side only so now I split two pieces and put them together. It not only looks better, it also cuts down on stretching.

I like what you have done there! Well done!

Thinking beyond the norm is a good thing.
    www.armoralleather.com Dwayne Puckett

Quote for the week: When people cut you down or talk behind your back, remember that they took time out of their pathetic lives to think about you.

Armoralleather Forum on BF! click me!

Great idea and great work!

Very elegant.

I have used a removable D ring for my sheaths before - seen in the second picture below removed:

However, I have always wanted a solution that allowed for a welded D-ring for additional strength. I think your application is really well done - especially because you can use any type of ring for this application - not just the one ring I use. Well done.

TF

Thread Information