Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Other knives that look like helle knives?

Thumbs up Other knives that look like helle knives?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Looking at buying a new knife and really like the looks of a helle knife. Primary purpose of the knife would just be a camp knife maybe a little bushcraft. Question is, is there other good knives that look similar to these knives? The thing I like is the natural wood handle and the nice polished blade finish. Would like a knife that is well crafted, with a easy to sharpen/maintain edge. Would like to be around the $150 range. Thanks for any help!

Google Ragweed forge. They have tons of differing knives similar to Helle.
    "The coward believes he will live forever, If he holds back in the battle, But in old age he shall have no peace, Though spears have spared his limbs". Odin, Havamal Verse 16

Order of The Black Shamrock #3

There are many other brands that make knives of similar style, but few are as finely finished as Helle. Karesuando is one to check out, and the higher end Marttiini are comparable.

Photo borrowed from the internet, but here's an example of a nice Marttiini:

brusletto knives might be something for you.

Check out EnZo knives.

If you're at all handy, you can get two "kits" for around $150.

Variety of blade steels and handles too.

Quote Originally Posted by blindb9 View Post
    Looking at buying a new knife and really like the looks of a helle knife. Primary purpose of the knife would just be a camp knife maybe a little bushcraft. Question is, is there other good knives that look similar to these knives? The thing I like is the natural wood handle and the nice polished blade finish. Would like a knife that is well crafted, with a easy to sharpen/maintain edge. Would like to be around the $150 range. Thanks for any help!
    It sounds like what you are looking for is....a Helle. Everything you are looking for.

thanks for the great responses! How am i supposed to go about picking what knife to get?? I really do like the helle knives but now i also like the Karesuando knives... (thanks Bob W!) how do these knives compare?

why are most of helle's knives not full tang? does this make them weak?

No. They are proven outdoors knives.

Most of the Helle knives have got blades of laminated steel (outer layers are made of "softer" steel, so are easily scratched), Karesuando I guess are either carbon or stainless depending on the model.

Not a lot of Nordic knives are full tang. In winter weather the exposed steel conducts cold. The hidden tang helps keep your hands warm. (It's also easier to replace the handle on a hidden tang knife if you break it.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaxyBeast View Post
    Not a lot of Nordic knives are full tang. In winter weather the exposed steel conducts cold. The hidden tang helps keep your hands warm. (It's also easier to replace the handle on a hidden tang knife if you break it.
    I have difficulty believing into this hand warming/cooling theory no matter how many times I read about it. I still believe that it has more to do with Nordic knives having older tradition: from times when steel was an expensive commodity and people were doing their best to use it where it really counted i.e. in the blade rather than in the handle.
    I agree with you point about making and replacing the handle of course: if you forget about aesthetics and modern-time glue putting a handle on a hidden tang knife is just so much easier to do than all that scales and rivets stuff for full tang!
    Anyway, the point is that all that people for centuries were surviving with weak thin hidden tang knives - and surviving quite well. So if we follow their example and respect the tools we use we should be OK with this design too.

Brusletto

Quote Originally Posted by Poez View Post
    I have difficulty believing into this hand warming/cooling theory no matter how many times I read about it. I still believe that it has more to do with Nordic knives having older tradition: from times when steel was an expensive commodity and people were doing their best to use it where it really counted i.e. in the blade rather than in the handle.
    I agree with you point about making and replacing the handle of course: if you forget about aesthetics and modern-time glue putting a handle on a hidden tang knife is just so much easier to do than all that scales and rivets stuff for full tang!
    Anyway, the point is that all that people for centuries were surviving with weak thin hidden tang knives - and surviving quite well. So if we follow their example and respect the tools we use we should be OK with this design too.
    This is true for the most part. Using a full tang knife in -40Celcius is a pain. Your therory sounds right,and that definately was a factor, but yeah, the reason a lot of nordic knives aren`t full tang is because it`s easier to use them in the winter. Same goes for the leather sheats. Kydex and modern plastics may get brittle and break.

thanks for all the input. Along my search i have found a few more candidates, the spyderco bushcraft and the bark river huntsman. Any input on comparing these knives? I do like that the last 2 are full tang...

thanks for all the input. Along my search i have found a few more candidates, the spyderco bushcraft and the bark river huntsman. Any input on comparing these knives? I do like that the last 2 are full tang...
    My 2 cents? If you want a Scandi knife....get one made in Scadinavia.

And the full tang thing on a Scandi is over rated. These traditional scandies are ancient designs. You do not get more "proven" than them.

As far as the Huntsman...it really has very little to do with the knives you have asked about in this thread. Not in the Scandi style at all.

Morakniv™ Classic Original #2

Laminated blade, ARNE steel core , handle can easily be adjusted to hand size whit sandpaper and a clamp for glove size 10, 9, 8. Sure you can probably brake I've seen dozens of these that have been used as EDC knifes by forest workers for 10-40 years worn down to a mere 25% of the blade size but I have newer seen one broken.

Quote Originally Posted by peppen108 View Post
    Morakniv™ Classic Original #2

Laminated blade, ARNE steel core , handle can easily be adjusted to hand size whit sandpaper and a clamp for glove size 10, 9, 8. Sure you can probably brake I've seen dozens of these that have been used as EDC knifes by forest workers for 10-40 years worn down to a mere 25% of the blade size but I have newer seen one broken.
    These are great knives, especially considering the price. Ditto the basic models from Ahti, Lapin Puukko, and a few others. The level of finishing though falls far short of Helle.

Among mass produced scandies Moras will have no rivals for quality/price ratio. Helle and Brusletto will provide good overall quality at higher price. Karesuando are good working knife, still sometimes I've read complaining about finish.

Speaking of the stick tang/full tang controversy, here you can see how knives were made in Finland and Scandinavia during the old days.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ghlight=puukko

I have several "puukko" blades, and the more I use them, the more I truly appreciate them. I have a Jarganpaa "Aito" that is one of the most comfortable blades I've ever used. Earlier this week, I purchased a Brusletto "Troll" and Ahti "Korpi". Can't wait to get them in the woods for some play time.
    "Under divine blessing, we must rely on the bayonet when firearms cannot be furnished". Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson (April 1861)

ESEE R.A.T. PACK #834
    Proud supporter of Alan Davis, James Helm (Storm Crow), and ML Knives

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information