Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bossman, we need one of these! My dream chopper

Bossman, we need one of these! My dream chopper

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ive been on the search for the perfect chopper since I got into knives a few years ago. Ive been through alot of blades, Machetes, short machetes, battle mistresses, kukri's, big knives like the dogfather and Rat Daddy, swords like the Rodent Waki, big bowies like the Fallkniven Thor etc... and I still haven't found that perfect balance of quickness, power, carry-ability, bite, and toughness.

Machete's are awesome choppers and are fast in hand but I get frustrated by low quality steel that is damaged easily and can't hold an edge, generally poor handle ergos, and the fact that even though its rare, machete's break. Ive only broken 1 but it wasn't very difficult. Also long machete's are tough to carry because they're long.

Kukri's split wood really well but its hard to find one that isn't too heavy to carry in the woods. I didn't like the KZ II and the cold steel SK5 Kukri was nice but it didn't hold an edge and lets face it, SK5 as done by cold steel isn't very reassuring.

My favorite choppers thus far have been the NMFBM, Rat Daddy, and Dogfather. The are made from the highest quality materials, chop very well and are still fast enough to clear brush. The downfall is that they are heavy and really don't clear brush anywhere close to as well as a machete.

Enter my dream chopper

This is a custom by Chris Berry. Its a hybrid Bolo made from .150 3V. It has a roughly 12.5 inch blade and is light as a feather. I think this beast is the perfect blend of quickness, chopping power, toughness, and carry ability. I haven't gotten to put it through its paces yet but from the little bit of back yard testing Ive done this is everything a chopper should be

I think if Busse made a knife similar to this with a Res C handle it would be the absolute end all be all forrest chopper!

Now that I have seen, I am responsible. Faith without deeds is dead.

Hunter Martin
    The Huntsman Knife Company

Im in! I have been waiting for a longer thinner chopper from Wauseon for far too long.
    **Just having some fun - Pics of my work**

Instagram: JONASIGLESIAS

#125 in RyanW's 2014 GAW!

YEAR!, a Busse Basic Bolo 13; the BB13. BRING IT

AftershockBolo.jpg

How about an Aftershock Bolo reborn with Res C? It has more of a spear point than yours does.

a few inches longer with some more height and belly and Id be down

Hunter Martin

give me a .15 thick 14" INFI blade and i'm in

a INFI bolo or nice machete? I'm freaking in
    It's touchier than a Vatican summer camp in here-Expatriated
    Proud supporter of hard use knives
    Busse Combat, --- Oink soldier
    Horton Knives-- built for bad times
    Jk knives - your design or his.

Chris Berry made some of the best looking Bolo/ Barong in full tang.

That sure is BAD ASS!

Great bolo!

I'll say it again... Scrapyard 18" machete, in 0.125" SR77, ResC handle. (or possibly smooth micarta)

I don't think that we will ever see it, or a folder, and for very good reason. I don't think Busse will ever produce a knife that it cannot offer it's fabulous warranty on. And you just know some, perhaps a lot, of people will try to pry with a 14" long, thin-bladed busse, and then crow about "I broke a Busse!"

I for one would be happy to setle for a lesser warranty to get the knife you are envisioning, but I am not sure that it would be a wise business dedcision to offer it.

I'm completely with you KalEl - in fact, if I'd seen it a bit earlier, your bolo/barong might be mine, and I'm having Mike make me a similar one in slightly thicker stock.

Never know what might come along and temp me, but the only additional Busse I know I'd be interested in at this stage is a long, light chopper, and I've suggested a Bolo B14 before.

Basic 14!

^^^^^^
    I like this!

Basic 20 ?

Quote Originally Posted by resinguy View Post
    Great bolo!

I'll say it again... Scrapyard 18" machete, in 0.125" SR77, ResC handle. (or possibly smooth micarta)
    ++1, Right there with ya Guy

BB13

That is a really sweet looking blade.
    I think .187" is the thinnest offering we have had in the longer blades so I don't think we would see much thinner than that, but I would be very happy with that thickness in a knife that size or a TTKZ, especially if either one had res-c for the handle.

edit to add: That blade only looks about one inch longer than the upcoming SHBM, so how about we just push that one into production so we can have a Busse in hand instead of two in the wish.

Freedom is expensive, but you get what you pay for and a life worth living is worth fighting for to the end.
    AZHamT 2011

Current Bussekin for sale

Why dont we just ask for an anorexic KZ at .187 thick.

Im looking forward to the SHBM. I think the most importabnt factor for performance that we won't see form Busse is blade height. If you took a knife like the SHBM thats nice and long at 11.5 inches and then made it with .187 stock that was about 3/4th of an inch wider you'd have an absolute chopping beast. I remember Jerry posting that he didn't have much steel around in wide stock so that probably limits the blade height we can expect from Busse.

Tall and thin is what makes a chopper. I think .187 is my preferred thickness for a chopper. I like the extra heft and toughness over thinner stock.

Hunter Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information