Thread: Is NOW The Time: For a Fixed Blade Hawkbill?

Question Is NOW The Time: For a Fixed Blade Hawkbill?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Being the hard core Hawkbill fan that I am I just can't help but wonder why the Great Spyder Factory hasn't done one of their premium Hawkbill blades in a "FIXED BLADE version. For those who have actually done major cutting jobs with a Hawkbill you just know you would get significantly more leverage with a thick spined, fixed blade version.

I just know that I'm not alone on this one >>> and I'm sure that there are those out there that would savor a fixed blade Hawkbill. I say let's talk about it. What type of blade steel would you all like? What type of handle material? >> And probably most important is what type of sheath you would need for such a nice tool as a fixed blade Hawkbill?

I wouldn't even mind an H -1 version to bolster the Salt Series. Although I would also like one in a SuperSteel blade and a Micarta handle similar to the one that they use on the Streetbeat model. OK what do you all say?

Red face I'm baffled

I don't get it ??? As many people that love Spyderco's great Hawkbills and not one post in almost 21 hours. And as much as everyone loves Spyderco's fixed blades??? This is strange indeed.

All right, I'd be down for a fixed blade version of the Superhawk.
    Keep the carbon fiber scales, maybe go with 3V or S90V for the steel selection.
    Or H1, and make it a marine knife...but keep the carbon fiber.
    Although blue G-10 would be cool too...
    Buy my book! Amazon: Kindle: Barnes and Noble:

I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

I could go for a blue G10 H1 fixed blade Hawkbill.

Ive owned Harpies, Tasman Salts, a Spyderhawk, a Superhawk and a G10 Crossbill.

Bring it. I'll buy one.
    -John-

Spydernation #0515.

I'd like to see a fixed hawkbill with a pronounced negative blade angle a la Schempp. I think it should work well with pull cuts.

I'd like to see an H1 version but one in a supersteel would be nice too as long as the cutting edge is 3.5 to 4.5 inches long. I've got a Tasman SE, a Spyderhawk PE, and a Crossbill PE. Not too fond of the Crossbill. The weight and balance just don't work for me. But I EDC and enjoy using the other two
    Last edited by Muchblade; 08-11-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: A longer blade is better.

Thumbs up Great Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by stabman View Post
    All right, I'd be down for a fixed blade version of the Superhawk.
    Keep the carbon fiber scales, maybe go with 3V or S90V for the steel selection.
    Or H1, and make it a marine knife...but keep the carbon fiber.
    Although blue G-10 would be cool too...
    HIGH FIVE!! On that one STABMAN.

Those are some down right excellent suggestions. I'll go one further>> why not have all you mentioned plus an H-1 Salt Series version as well?

And I do love the somewhat less radical design of the Superhawk for a fixed blade Hawkbill. However I wouldn't mind a smaller fixed blade Hawkbill the size of the Harpy with the Harpy blade style. I don't think it would hurt a thing to have a smaller one with a more defined curve and it might even be advantageous on small jobs.

I want one in s90V. Maybe a smaller one for EDC use and one huge one for kicks!

YESS.

I think a hawkbill mule would be pretty darn sweet!

AHHH!! that would be a great idea, slap your own handle on there and save a few bucks.

Thumbs up A MULEHAWK just makes good marketing sense

Quote Originally Posted by edctac View Post
    I think a hawkbill mule would be pretty darn sweet!
    You're not alone on that one Brother I'm hearing the same thing on another great blade Forum I'm on frequently. I've thought for a long time that a fixed blade Hawkbill would probably win a lot of converts to the bent blade. Fixed blades without a doubt have more rigidity just by their nature and design.

Having a wide array of different blade steels to choose from just like the MULE project to me would be like having some of the finest Russian Caviar on the planet With the success that Spyderco has had with Hawkbill blades they could even capture up to 90% of the overall market share with a project like that.

I've wondered what a Hawkbill would be like with D-2, ZDP-189 or even S90V. You could even design the handle similar to the Mule handle because there are already companies like Halpern Titanium already making aftermarket handle scales. Yes indeed a MULEHAwK just makes good marketing sense when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    an H-1 Salt Series version as well?
    That would be good, as hawkbills are already part of the Salt folder series.
    Buy my book! Amazon: Kindle: Barnes and Noble:

I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

A mule hawk may not be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbonez View Post
    A mule hawk may not be a bad idea.
    I was just on another forum where we were talking about Crucible's incredible 3V blade steel. I truly wish that if Spyderco does indeed do a fixed blade hawkbill I would truly love to see them do one in Crucible's S3V. If they were to do a MULE type run of fixed blade Hawkbills it would be an incredible way for them to introduce many blade steels that they either haven't done many blades with or just a way to see how some of these more obscure blade steels perform.

With all that said I still don't see how they could do anything but win if they were to introduce a fixed bladed Hawkbill to their successful H-1 Salt Series. To have a larger fixed blade Hawkbill with a Superhawk style of blade and a smaller one with a Harpy type blade both in H-1>> and in PE and Spyderedge. Just think of the extra leverage you would have using a rigid fixed blade Hawkbill. It would truly give that sector of the market a big boost and make Spyderco the king of the hawkbill blades in every category.

Steel would not matter too much for me, but another hawkbill in H1 would be nice. I mostly use mine at the garden and anything will cut zucchini and eggplants. It hawkbill is very useful for trimming things like spinach and lettuce.

Otherwise the other job is to clear weeds off the prop of the trolling motor, and H1 will also shine in that role.

Thumbs up Hawkbills for gardening and landscaping

Quote Originally Posted by sherlockbonez View Post
    Steel would not matter too much for me, but another hawkbill in H1 would be nice. I mostly use mine at the garden and anything will cut zucchini and eggplants. It hawkbill is very useful for trimming things like spinach and lettuce.

Otherwise the other job is to clear weeds off the prop of the trolling motor, and H1 will also shine in that role.
    A Fixed Blade Hawkbill in the H-1 Salt Series just seems so proper to me I'm sort of baffled that they haven't done it already. A fixed blade Hawkbill in the Salt Series just seems so proper to me especially being that the Spyderhawk has just recently been deleted from the line up.

That's also interesting that you let us know how good Hawkbills are for gardening. I've used Hawkbills in the garden for so many uses in the past and I've also used them for a lot of chores in landscaping work as well. But it just makes sense when you figure most everything in the Salt series is truly geared for hard work.

Just think about how great a fixed blade hawkbill would work on those jobs.

Thread Information