Thread: After years of naysaying...

After years of naysaying...

ADVERTISEMENT
    I had spent many of my knife collecting years in befuddled confusion, bewildered at the idea of someone paying over $400 for such a mundane design with seemingly basic materials, never truly "getting" the universal lure to the legendary Sebenza, an affinity shared by nearly every collector and enthusiast I have come across...

I realize now that it was all because of a tragically severe lack of understanding.

A friend of mine has quite an impressive collection, a sufficient chunk of which being a variety of Sebenzas. Hanging out one day, I non-chalantly made mention of my feelings on the famous knife, which prompted him to draw from his pocket his personal "user". The first thing I noticed about it was that, noting that he had called it his "user" Sebenza, it looked fresh out of the box brand new. Knowing him, I knew that when he said "user", I could safely assume that he's definitely put it through its paces well. I was amazed at the condition it was in, even more so when he told me that it still had the factory edge. He then closed the knife and handed it to me. After hearing so many people rave about them I was almost expecting to be let down as I had been with most other "hyped up" knives. But then I opened it for the first time with my own hands... upon which time I had kidnapped my friend's Sebenza and sat in a corner for a good 20 minutes fondling it in sheer amazement and childlike joy. It was at that time that I finally understood.

I went home and immediately sold a couple knives and started saving.
    Some time passes, which brings us to today, and I present to you...

IMG_0180.jpgIMG_0188.jpgIMG_0189.jpgIMG_0190.jpgIMG_0192.jpg

My very own, brand new, large Sebenza! (the first of many )

The glassy smooth pivot, the unparalleled fit and finish, the mind-blowing attention to detail, the painfully precise tolerances, the surprisingly refreshing simplicity... I understand now. I can't imagine another knife living up to the expectations that this knife has created for me. As a matter of fact, I'm already saving up for my next one! I am finally an honorary member of the Chris Reeve Cool Kids Club, and man do I feel cool.
    Last edited by RobCamlin; 08-10-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Congrats on your first CRK. It's a beauty and welcome to the all things CRK addiction.

Welcome to the addiction. I have a nearly identical "user" for my EDC, small micarta but I have the polished grind. I know the feeling. I had to have one, then 2, now I have 3 on their way to me this week alone.

Man it can get bad, I hope you control yourself better than I do.

Grrrr I hate you Rob! Makes me want one sooooo bad. congrats though man
    Emersonaholic #2783
    Striderholic #2783
    Monkey Nation #166

Quote Originally Posted by MasterPisaster View Post
    Grrrr I hate you Rob! Makes me want one sooooo bad. congrats though man
    Dude when you can, you gotta pick one up. Or get an Umnumzaan so I can envy you equally. Now that I have it, my own, in hand... I don't know man, I just love it.

Nice dude! I have a large regular 21 en-route too, sold my galaxy s3 to buy one after about 2 years of thinking about it.
    The final straw was when I was watching a movie on the weekend, can't recall the name but a girl had one, and she ran the tip down some checkerplate to scare someone?and all I thought was, I have to have one before hollywood ruins them all!

somewhere deep in the heart of the midwest, between the corn fields and the void
    A convert! Awesome!

The Large 21 with Micarta inlays was my first Sebenza too. Excellent choice.

Now go hide your credit cards immediately
    "The edge, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over" -Hunter S. Thompson
    ISEK#13

I, too, sold a few from my edc rotation to orde a new sebby. Placed the order this morning and cannot wait to recieve it. I decided this after playing with one at a retailer. I will probably sell more (I do have to repos one I sold, a microtech. It he wanted it bad enough to pay more than I did) to get a matching small sebby, or mnandi for occasional use. I cannot wait to have just one good blade to use and carry!

Hurry up Monday/Tuesday!

Congrats, and thats a great one to start with. I think the micarta's are my favorite's.
    Then again I really like my BG42 Regulars, and my BG42 Pheasant tale. Oh yeah, and my 2011 anual, but still think the micatra's make for the best users.

Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum.

I enjoyed your post, you have an excellent way with words.

Yep, just makes you want to put all of your old favorite knives in a shoebox in a closet in the basement, doesn't it.
    Seriously, though, it's like hypnosis. Once you cross that "$400 for a KNIFE?!?!" line the first time it's a lot easier to cross it again and again.
    Seems like the consensus is... be careful.

Thank you, everyone. I don't think I've ever been so proud to own a particular knife. My meager collection had always been a patchwork mix of various makers and styles and I had always seen people that dedicate the bulk of their collection to one thing or another, which is something I could never do, I suppose because I'd never found one worth doing that with. Until now, of course.

Of all the knives I could choose to be the foundation of my collection, I certainly picked the one with the best community.

Congrats! Having just received my 1st CRK, I'm in the same boat as you Rob. I'm powerless to stop it from sinking, but at least we won't go down alone.

Good for you Rob and Welcome to the CRK family. May your Sebenza provide you with a lifetime of joy and admiration, Congratulations.

Welcome!
    Nice lines - good read.
    There is so much to explore.
    enjoy.
    red mag

Great choice! Sounds like you have found true love, which, it has been said, is the most delicious form of madness.

Blog Entries
    Rob,

Welcome. The sebenza was the first folder that felt like a fixed blade to me when it was opened, and is all things that you like about it. You would probably like the Mnandi too for those times when carrying a smaller folder is a good idea.
    Jeff

Thread Information