Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Modified Production Knives (traditional only)

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    I think I might buy up some TL-29s and parts knives tomorrow and get to work. Thanks to this thread, I'll be giving even better gifts.

Great work,
    Connor

That is a substantial improvement to the Imperial!

I haven't had a chance to post the new Remington barlow Bob did for me. I got it a couple weeks ago, and am very happy with it. It has a big gap on the right side, enough to slide a piece of paper in, between the spring and the liner. I am debating on whether to send it back to him, but everything else looks great. I think it is just going to affect my OCD, not the knife itself.

Here it is before...
    [IMG][/IMG]

And after pics from Bob

There's a guy called Mik Pennilion over here that's done some amazing mods to production folders (mainly Case). Unfortunately health problems have stopped him doing much the last few years, but a google image search brings up some nice examples http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...OcaGhQeDpoHoBw

I have a couple of his and they're very collectible over here.

Latest rescale of a Buck folder. Model 301 with walnut burl scales. 300

Case bonestag Stockman, I rounded the bolsters, filed the kicks, dropped the height of the main blade, and converted the spay to a semi-spear-drop-point.

Camillus #23 Jumbo Jack, rescaled by member here:

Primble Stockman (top knife): the sheepfoot blade got broken off sometime in the past, and a previous owner made it into a screwdriver. It appears to have been filed to fit the screws of electrical outlet covers, light switch covers, door knob screws, and others around the house perfectly.

~Chris
    Beckerhead #133 // Kabar Krew #033 // SpyderNation #0809

I've meant to find this thread for a bit, but keeps slipping my mind!

I love rejuvenating broken clip blades into wharncliffes, as most times they seem to break off near the straight edge portion anyways.

(A Kuhn in red, a Ward, and a Kissing Crane with double Spey blades)

A couple of Bucks- one used to be my moms, the other I found at a garage sale (still have to refine the swedge once I put a finer disc on the grinder)

A group shot with a little Imperial that I got for a dollar that has been my pocket companion since I got it!

I'm working on improving making swedges, but have to improve my photography skills more first!

Love that Camillus jumbo, Orca!

Here is my latest out of the shop.

TL-29 redo, elongated NS bolsters, reprofiled screwdriver blade, EO notch, some bolster filework. Covers are Antique green pick bone. Wish I had made this for myself, LOL!

Glenn
    "you know the road doesn't end, when it reaches a bend..." - Poco

Proud Supporter of JK Knives #65

Oh yeah, here's another fun one I did...

Before...

After...Smooth Marigold bone, reprofiled blade...I call it a sunken canoe, LOL.

It's a small knife, around 2 1/2" closed. Kinda funky...

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by glennbad View Post
    Love that Camillus jumbo, Orca!

Here is my latest out of the shop.

TL-29 redo, elongated NS bolsters, reprofiled screwdriver blade, EO notch, some bolster filework. Covers are Antique green pick bone. Wish I had made this for myself, LOL!

Glenn
    VERY COOL
    nice jigged bone
    and repurposed screwdriver ...is the sheepsfoot still locking?

Oh my goodness these are amazing! Thank you to all the folks here for sharing this!

glennbad any before pics? I'm realy liking that ans would like to see if I could manage something similar...

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    glennbad any before pics? I'm realy liking that ans would like to see if I could manage something similar...
    Sadly, no. I usually take a before shot. In this case, it started out as a standard TL-29, like this one...

The pattern is good to work with, because so many of them have been made. And for the most part, parts are somewhat interchangeable between manufacturers. You don't really need any specialty tools, alot of the work can be done with files and sandpaper and hard work. Of course, it's helpful to have brass/NS pins and bar stock, but I have also seen people get quite creative with materials they have on hand, like copper, finish nails, etc.

RSmith_77 - No the sheep is not locking. It's got a pretty stout spring however. Alot of my customers usually want the liner lock removed. That is up to them.

Glenn

Here's an un-planned mod on a Buck 701. The main spring let go while I was cleaning it, so I had nothing to loose by pulling it apart to see what I could save. A two well three blade became a one well two blade. Main got ground into a wharnie so the two blades would fit together riding on a single spring.

Nice save on that Buck! Bet that rides nice and slim in the pocket now.

Thanx Glenn, disappears is more like it

Quote Originally Posted by glennbad View Post
    Sadly, no. I usually take a before shot. In this case, it started out as a standard TL-29, like this one...

The pattern is good to work with, because so many of them have been made. And for the most part, parts are somewhat interchangeable between manufacturers. You don't really need any specialty tools, alot of the work can be done with files and sandpaper and hard work. Of course, it's helpful to have brass/NS pins and bar stock, but I have also seen people get quite creative with materials they have on hand, like copper, finish nails, etc.

RSmith_77 - No the sheep is not locking. It's got a pretty stout spring however. Alot of my customers usually want the liner lock removed. That is up to them.

Glenn
    thanks for the info - will have to keep an eye out for one, not seen one over here but you never know....

Nothing fancy here. Took this Case with a broken tip and fixed it.
    Before:

After:

I reprofiled the tops of the blades for a smoother pocket carry.

Sorry submitted to early the GEC Conductor is great and the small coping blade and large clip had some sharp edges that I preferred to remove. Great topic and definitely some classy mods shown here.

Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread Information