Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your latest Schrade? START DATE 8/12

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    i thought i read that too but then checked my other 171's and they have the brass screw. so go figure. could be that Schrade changed at different times all depending.

The screw in the handle of the 171UH knives should be a brass flathead (countersunk) crosspoint. The roundhead screw shown is not correct.

Russell

Could be the previous owner had a loose screw and the result was a lost screw. If you decide to replace it I would but some Loctite on the threads to prevent you from having a screw loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty1 View Post
    The screw in the handle of the 171UH knives should be a brass flathead (countersunk) crosspoint. The roundhead screw shown is not correct.

Russell
    Back in the '80s I used to sell screws. I think the silver replacement shown is a "pan head" which has a little shallower dome than on a "round head" but this is trivial. Screw should most definitely be a counter-sunk flat-head large Phillips as Russell suggests. Brass would be my first choice to match the end-cap. Loctite may indeed be a nice touch. I used to build hydraulic power-units and we used Loctite on all of them to avoid disasters. When a 3500psi fitting bursts a lot of oil gets everywhere in a very short amount of time!

I thought I might add to be very precise:

I don't know if thats a size 4 or 6 or size 8 etc screw but make sure to check the threads as well as the diameter of the screw. Machine screws can have course or fine threads. A number 8 screw (for example) will be a 8-24 or 8-32. The second number is the number of threads per inch. If you try and force a screw of the the correct diameter but having incorrect threads then you won't get a good result either.
    Last edited by Dave Thinkstoomuch; 01-23-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added course vs fine thread info

Hydraulic power units bring back memories, used to work for a large German Hydraulics manufacturer.

Russell

xxxxx
    Last edited by tongueriver; 08-03-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tongueriver View Post
    There seem to be a few folks who have hit the forum lately who have had a screw loose; good to see them getting some help. When one gets in a stressful situation like this, there is nothing like a good screw.
    Testify! Hallelujah!

My latest Schrade is this little gold-filled "Collins Tree Service" 10 Year Award Cut Co. Sellers pics are posted. As you can see they are not the best. It will be interesting to see what it's really like when it arrives.

01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG05.JPG
    Last edited by Dave Thinkstoomuch; 01-24-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thinkstoomuch View Post
    My latest Schrade is this little gold-filled "Collins Tree Service" Cut Co. Sellers pics are posted. As you can see they are not the best. It will be interesting to see what it's really like when it arrives.
    A few more pics:
    06.JPG07.JPG08.JPG

It's a screwy bunch Cal. Sometimes I get the feeling the screws actually don't match the threads... I detect some off kilter diameters for sure.

Port Lincoln,South Australia,"the home of the great white pointer shark"
    ....and I suspect the Tool Kit is missing a few misplaced tools as well.....in my old Real Estate parlance....'they live one Street back from the Main Road'......a Kangaroo short in the top paddock.......
    Cal....I agree there is little to compare to a good screw....you brassy little devil...a nickel silver comment...Sterling silver effort.....Schrade+......Hoo Roo.

Have question i have a sharade 497 knife

I have a shrade 497 knife it has a stamp on the butt of the knife it looks like a flag an anvil what is that and do you know anymore about them ?

Stormy, You spelled Schrade two different ways. If you can post a picture it would be a lot easier to help you.

Port Lincoln,South Australia,"the home of the great white pointer shark"
    G'day Stormyhull and a huge welcome to this Schradeaholic band of Lost Souls....refer the thread I just brought up concerning the 49er Series and I believe you will see your knife pattern.Hoo Roo

just received this 5 OT with engraving. unfortunately did not come with any bling or infomation. any would be appreciated. like year? type of stag (at least to my very inexperienced eyes it looks like stag)? also has a serial number on the bolster, 382. and what type of metal the the deer overlaid with (if that is the correct term i am way lucky).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by delmas2nd View Post
    just received this 5 OT with engraving. unfortunately did not come with any bling or infomation. any would be appreciated. like year? type of stag (at least to my very inexperienced eyes it looks like stag)? also has a serial number on the bolster, 382. and what type of metal the the deer overlaid with (if that is the correct term i am way lucky).
    I'm happy you scored this one Delmas. I was sorely tempted by it. I read the knife as having genuine sambar burnt stag handles and a gold plated etch. It's a stainless 5OT and my guess is mid-90's but that's only a guess. It seems like they made at least 400 of these so maybe there are some other folks here who have seen this SFO before and know more about it than I do. I wondered if it was an unfinished SFO with the lack of a shield but I don't think the serial number would have gone on it until it was done so I think it is just as it should be, whatever it is...

Delmas that knife was done for Gander Mountain in late 1992 so it likely arrived in stores around Christmas. Sambar stag covers and electro etched blade with gold fill. If I recall correctly I think they came in a green jewelry type hinged box. Nice find!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ea42 View Post
    Delmas that knife was done for Gander Mountain in late 1992 so it likely arrived in stores around Christmas. Sambar stag covers and electro etched blade with gold fill. If I recall correctly I think they came in a green jewelry type hinged box. Nice find!

Eric
    Great info! Thanks for filling in the blanks!

I just closed a deal on two great Schrade UST Copenhagen sets. The Copenhagen Fishing Knife Set with UH167 and UH885 and a tile-topped 5OT and money-clip set that is filling the void left by Delmas great-Gander-grab. The gentleman I got them from worked for UST back-in-the-day and the Fisherman's set had never even been opened; he thought there was only one knife in there but I figured right in thinking there must be two. They are still on the way to me and I can't wait to see all the stag up close and friendly!

Cope 5OT.jpgFisherman's Set.jpg

There were 2 made in 92 no statement on the etch and a second order in 3/93 for 1000 knives with the gold filled etch.
    My note says a royal blue velour lined royal blue gift box. Distributor cost 56.43 200 to be delivered 6/15/93.

Larry, you're right, now that you mention it blue was the color. I think the above Gander knife was likely part of the '93 order, I've got an order for twelve sample etched blades (six satin and six polished) that was put out 11/11/92, since I blindly missed the number ordered I thought that was the actual order for the etched blades . They'd likely have had to send a few samples out to Gander for approval before the order was finalized, which would have been at least a month or more, especially around the holidays.

Here's a copy of that invoice, along with the original artwork write-up, a copy of which was stapled to the invoice:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Dave, fantastic finds! That's the burnt stag handled set?

Eric
    Last edited by ea42; 02-10-2013 at 09:54 AM.

this is what makes this site unique! i knew you wonderful guys would have great insight on my knife and wow did you! thanks so much for filling in the blanks. too bad didn't come with the bling. but i bid low just for a lark and got it so who can complain.

Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread Information