Thread: Kephart by Fiddleback Forge

Kephart by Fiddleback Forge

ADVERTISEMENT
    This is the new design. I based it on a historical knife by Horace Kephart. His knife was quite boring, and I took some liberties. Its a 4" long blade on 4.5" handle. The steel is my 3D Spalted 01 and the knife is cut from a 1/8" thick bar. The handle is antique canvas micarta with a g-10 whitewall. The pins and bullseye filler are natural canvas micarta. I hope you like her.

Who cares what I just said. Please go learn about SuperBen, he needs the knifemaking community.

I recall you saying that you EDC a 1/8" Bushfinger, and I'm waiting for the next Fiddleback Friday where one of them babies will be in the lineup... but in the meanwhile, how does the Kephart perform in comparison? I see a lot of similarities.

Nice one Andy, looks great.

Is that an Aeon???
    Last edited by ErichM; 09-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Happily addicted to barrel aged brew, titanium, and bushfingers!!!

Sweet! I like it!
    It takes more of a man to be a gentleman.

Nice. Kind of reminds me of a cross between a Bushfinger and a KE Bushie. Old Horace would like it. He and I would like to see one in osage with od green canvas micarta pins/liner......
    Last edited by grafton; 08-24-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Gadzooks Andy, I like the looks of that knife! It's a real eye catcher for sure. I like the blade shape and length coupled with the handle material combination. It should be quite the wood worker. The blade shape with minimal belly (i.e. spear point) will allow me to finish my cut or shaving without the knife slipping off as opposed to a knife with a very full belly.

You put everything together quite nicely for its debut. I definitely see myself picking up one of these down the road.

What is the width of the blade? It looks to be a little over an inch wide (similar to the Bushfinger and Bushcrafter).

Mark
    Integrity Counts

Thats nice, I like it
    when they going on sale ?

Nice, like the bushfinger with a bit more "spear point".
    BTW, any knews on my Arete (if I may ask?)?
    Thanks Andy

Quote Originally Posted by pialia View Post
    I recall you saying that you EDC a 1/8" Bushfinger, and I'm waiting for the next Fiddleback Friday where one of them babies will be in the lineup... but in the meanwhile, how does the Kephart perform in comparison? I see a lot of similarities.
    I have some cut now. They are ready for grinding. All of the 4" bladed knives handle and perform relatively the same tasks. This one doesn't have as much belly. Less function for skinning maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by ErichM View Post
    Nice one Andy, looks great.

Is that about Aeon???
    Mushondt, but I don't know the model.

Quote Originally Posted by maw View Post
    Gadzooks Andy, I like the looks of that knife! It's a real eye catcher for sure. I like the blade shape and length coupled with the handle material combination. It should be quite the wood worker. The blade shape with minimal belly (i.e. spear point) will allow me to finish my cut or shaving without the knife slipping off as opposed to a knife with a very full belly.

You put everything together quite nicely for its debut. I definitely see myself picking up one of these down the road.

What is the width of the blade? It looks to be a little over an inch wide (similar to the Bushfinger and Bushcrafter).

Mark
    It is very close to the bushfinger in width, but much more spear pointed.

Quote Originally Posted by niper View Post
    Thats nice, I like it
    when they going on sale ?
    I'll be making some for sale in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by awestib View Post
    Nice, like the bushfinger with a bit more "spear point".
    BTW, any knews on my Arete (if I may ask?)?
    Thanks Andy
    The Arete had to be re-cut. I have the blades profiled. Sorry. Miffed the grind on the last day. I have a hated dud here that is too ugly to even show.
    Who cares what I just said. Please go learn about SuperBen, he needs the knifemaking community.

Very nice indeed - but I always thought your Bushcrafter was sort of Kephartish.

Thanks Andy, no rush!!
    Andy

I like it. Very nice.

Great design Andy!

very nice looking knife.
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Very nice!

Oh yeah, great... A new model I don't have, great... I hate you Andy and I know the feeling is mutual. Is my black
    Palm or Ironwood version ready yet?

I like it a lot, great blade shape, but I'd like it even better if it were full height convex from 5/32 stock....

Nice design, Andy. Elegant in its simplicity.

Very nice

Does want. That's really sleek Andy...and so one more knife has been added to my "Fiddleback Must Haves" list.

Congrats on making the idea of a savings account laughable for myself and I'm sure for many others...as the moment I can actually scrape together some spare change I've got to jump back in and get another Fiddleback! Hopefully it'll be soon, and if it were a Fiddleback Kephart that caught my eye, well, I wouldn't be the least bit sad. Looks to be a highly functional knife...especially for woodwork! Top notch ideas and execution as per usual Andy

Thread Information