Thread: just ordered a green beret - update

just ordered a green beret - update

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've never been a fixed blade fan. I have a few cheaper ones that are basically just tools. My most expensive one is a $40 SRK. I remember handling both a green beret and a one piece model at a gun show many years ago. Been fighting the urge to buy one ever since. Im overseas so the 18-32 day wait wont be fun. Also a little worried about mishandling damaging the crk box. But I cant wait to hold one again
    Last edited by kaosu04; 09-09-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Been trying to hold off getting one, myself...

i would friendlily advise anyone considering that knife to watch the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCi6J1XiFA

and perhaps read this: http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=97091

and maybe this: http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=23327

certain sections of personnel seem to regard their commands' decision to issue a knife of a particular design to members of a graduating q-course.
    i'm not sure what the difference in process is but the sf guys' knives must have a helluva better heat treatment than the versions
    sold to the civie market. sf guys are professional soldiers. pretty smart guys too. if anyone knew what kinda knife they would want to carry it
    would be them right? thing is- the video clearly doesnt add up. now, it's been maligned as unfair. the guy's whole 'knifetest' process has been
    attacked as somehow unfair. (i'm not sure i understand this as it's called a 'destruction test') people have said, "ohh! it's a knife-it isnt MEANT
    to be struck with a bloody hammer!" hmm, really? well maybe, but that doesnt excuse or bring about the dissolution of the fact that they
    put a busse skinny ash through the same treatment and it did not chip and shatter. either they skip a step in the heat treatment or omit
    an element in the alloying, or that particular model was part of a 'bad line' on the ol belt...either way-i have a nice tops exfiltrator-5 on the
    way. nice thick proven steel. recurved blade. the differential bevel i found interesting.

i was originally attracted to the 'green beret knife' for its clean lines and simple timeless profile. the word 'classic' comes to mind. psychologically
    it seems useful to unite sf guys under the banner of a singular single model of a knife-The Yarborough. the operators' right hand. not sold, not
    given...Issued. issued unto death or dishonor. Isnt that sweet? if i were buying a knife as a soldier though i might consider a nice busse (for example)
    or esse, or stryder, etcetera. i'm fairly new so im not sure if there was ever a response to this topic. just not sure 'bout them civie yarboroughs...

Let me save you the trouble of watching the video. Be smart enough to NOT hit your beautiful knife with a 5# sledge hammer and it will serve you well for many years.

Well aware of the video and the opinions. If I ever have to hammer my way out of a concrete bunker using a knife, I will certainly take Noss' sledge hammer expertise under consideration. But I paid $320 for a knife. Not a hammer

Quote Originally Posted by losthighwayman View Post
    i would friendlily advise anyone considering that knife to watch the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCCi6J1XiFA

and perhaps read this: http://www.socnet.com/showthread.php?t=97091

and maybe this: http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=23327

certain sections of personnel seem to regard their commands' decision to issue a knife of a particular design to members of a graduating q-course.
    i'm not sure what the difference in process is but the sf guys' knives must have a helluva better heat treatment than the versions
    sold to the civie market. sf guys are professional soldiers. pretty smart guys too. if anyone knew what kinda knife they would want to carry it
    would be them right? thing is- the video clearly doesnt add up. now, it's been maligned as unfair. the guy's whole 'knifetest' process has been
    attacked as somehow unfair. (i'm not sure i understand this as it's called a 'destruction test') people have said, "ohh! it's a knife-it isnt MEANT
    to be struck with a bloody hammer!" hmm, really? well maybe, but that doesnt excuse or bring about the dissolution of the fact that they
    put a busse skinny ash through the same treatment and it did not chip and shatter. either they skip a step in the heat treatment or omit
    an element in the alloying, or that particular model was part of a 'bad line' on the ol belt...either way-i have a nice tops exfiltrator-5 on the
    way. nice thick proven steel. recurved blade. the differential bevel i found interesting.

i was originally attracted to the 'green beret knife' for its clean lines and simple timeless profile. the word 'classic' comes to mind. psychologically
    it seems useful to unite sf guys under the banner of a singular single model of a knife-The Yarborough. the operators' right hand. not sold, not
    given...Issued. issued unto death or dishonor. Isnt that sweet? if i were buying a knife as a soldier though i might consider a nice busse (for example)
    or esse, or stryder, etcetera. i'm fairly new so im not sure if there was ever a response to this topic. just not sure 'bout them civie yarboroughs...
    Two sides to every story:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...p-knife-chores

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...B-Field-Trials

The knife was designed for a specific purpose, that purpose is specific for a cutting tool and it is mentioned as such in CRK DVD (if I am not mistaken). It is also meant for survival. There is no clear definition for survival use of a knife. Latest trends are apparent, those trends indicate it has to pry/baton etc. However, history has shown that survival can be done with a small knife as well.

Strength, toughness, edge retention (wear resistance), edge stability, corrosion resistance and price. Pick three (or two), you cant have them all (cant remember the correct saying I heard).

This is not my full opinion on the matter, but just remember, there are two sides to every story and then it is up to you to make your own decision/opinion.

somewhere deep in the heart of the midwest, between the corn fields and the void
    Quote Originally Posted by kaosu04 View Post
    I've never been a fixed blade fan. I have a few cheaper ones that are basically just tools. My most expensive one is a $40 SRK. I remember handling both a green beret and a one piece model at a gun show many years ago. Been fighting the urge to buy one ever since. Im overseas so the 18-32 day wait wont be fun. Also a little worried about mishandling damaging the crk box. But I cant wait to hold one again
    Let us know how you like it and snap some pics if you can.

Congrats
    "The edge, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over" -Hunter S. Thompson
    ISEK#13

Been thinking of a Pacific myself, maybe its time

These are undoubtedly great knives.

Well this is just "great"........ lol. Just when I thought I had all the CRK's I need along comes this thread and reminds me that for a long time I have been curious about the Green Beret.

Then Marthinus, whom I have come to respect for his knowledge and comments, posts links to the Green Beret being put to use.
    I happen to enjoy testing my bushcraft skills by minimum equipment camp outings and I thought the Green Beret might be a lot of fun.
    So I just ordered one, and I can hardly wait.

It takes a lot to get me excited these days but I am really looking forward to this one. After she arrives we will go out and play in the dirt.

Got this in the mail a couple days ago. I am very happy with it. Its quality and extreme attention to detail is typical of what makes Crk one of the biggest names in the knife world. Initially I was surprised at how heavy it is. It is thicker than I imagined. It is incredibly comfortable. I don't understand the complaints about the tang handle sticking out past the micarta at all. I actually feel like this could possibly make it easier to grip. But it is certainly not bothersome. The sheath is great too. I am thinking about ordering the leather one as the spec ops sheath is more for body armor/vests and not the most comfortable to carry on a belt. But then again 7 inch blades are a bit much for most belt carry applications. Anyone have any experience with the leather sheath? Does it pull the handle away from the body at all?
    Pictures will arrive soon

My own 7" Green Beret arrived a few days ago and I am highly impressed and completely satisfied with the knife in every way. I too was surprised by the size and heft of the knife yet it is perfectly balanced and quick in the hand. The handle is a perfect fit for my hand and completely comfortable and efficient in a variety of hand positions. The blade, to me, is a well thought out style for an all around using knife and I especially appreciate the gradual curve to the tip instead of too much "belly" which I personally find unnecessary in a general purpose camp and trail knife. This knife just begs to go out in the woods and be put to work and that is exactly what I intend to do with it. I'm glad I got it and it promises to be a lot of fun. Certainly another winner from CRK.

Yep, I think its time for that Pacific

Here are a couple of 7" Green Beret pictures to share.

First is the Green Beret and all that came with it in the box.

DSC00158 by Desert Hermit, on Flickr

Travis sent along a gift of a MaxPedition 19" carry case for the knife. It is large enough to hold the entire knife/sheath combination.

DSC00161 by Desert Hermit, on Flickr

The MaxPedition case will be perfect for travel packing in luggage or for storing the knife/sheath combo under the seat of my pickup. Thanks Travis!

DSC00163 by Desert Hermit, on Flickr

I am looking forward to taking the Green Beret out with me on a trek and camp in the Dragoon Mountains at the end of the month.

DSC00165 by Desert Hermit, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jwolf90 View Post
    Yep, I think its time for that Pacific
    I got to handle a Pacific the other day at my local knife shop here. I found it to be a fine choice for a rugged, practical, well designed using knife. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Hermit View Post
    Here are a couple of 7" Green Beret pictures to share.
    Great pictorial! Did the sheath come with the lanyard in the pic and what type of bead is on the end of it?

Quote Originally Posted by US-STEEL View Post
    Great pictorial! Did the sheath come with the lanyard in the pic and what type of bead is on the end of it?
    The photos show the knife exactly as it arrived so yes, the lanyards on the knife and sheath are from CRK. The bead on the sheath lanyard is actually a spring activated push button "squeeze" fastener which can be used to adjust the fit of the lanyard, whether used as a leg tie-down or for some other purpose. I have used these little fasteners previously with 550 paracord and they are handy little things with many uses. They save having to tie a knot and are fast and easy to use. Neat little device!

I hope to have more pictures to share when I get back from the trek and camp. The whole idea of the trip is to put this knife to work. It is the only "tool" I'll be packing besides my FireSteel and stiker.
    Last edited by Desert Hermit; 09-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Great knives. Mine gets used every now and then but not as frequently as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Hermit View Post
    The bead on the sheath lanyard is actually a spring activated push button "squeeze" fastener which can be used to adjust the fit of the lanyard, whether used as a leg tie-down or for some other purpose.
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate the details. Enjoy your trek, looking forward to the pics at camp.

Thread Information