Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice for a sheeple friendly edc?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Very true, thank you for all the advice. I will update in the next week or two when I choose and order.

Well I decided to give the OD-1 a try. The very first kershaw I bought was an OD-2 so it seemed fitting. Combine that with the gact that KG had a blem for a great price

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD86 View Post
    I don't really subscribe to the "tough luck i'm going to do what I want" attitude. .
    I don't feel that that's the attitude given when we say just carry it. I EDC my ZT560 or a Para2 and am just discrete in my use. I don't go snapping the ZT open to cut a string or dig a splinter out. I calmly open it with both hands choke up on the blade and just use the tip. I may be a bit of a selfish **** but other people being timid will not effect me enough to toss more stuff in my pockets.

It may not be your attitude and being careful as you are is a good thing so please don't think I am lumping everyone who carries what they want into one category, but it most certainly was the attitude of some posters. I live in a knife friendly state but have also seen people get themselves in trouble for not being discrete in a public area. Educating people is a good thing but if I am in a crowded area and don't mind carrying two knives then why not simply do it. There are other advantages to carrying multiple knives as well, having a cheaper one to let someone use rather than trusting them with a three figure zt, as well as having something with a finer tip should you need to be more precise.

A traditional slipjoint Case or something similar is seen more as a tool than a weapon.

what about a kershaw crown?

excellent suggestion they have a new folder too called the kurai I believe that I might look into in the future as well. I am excited for my od-1 to come

Quote Originally Posted by HusslinHoosier View Post
    Sticktodrum is a intelligent fellow. I carry my Case Butterbean everywhere and not one box or envelope has stood up to its wrath. If cutting every day items is the mission of your EDC a good traditional folder slippie is your knife.
    +1 I was almost going to recommend a peanut or stockman. I've found most people actually like and want to see the few traditionals I have.

Quote Originally Posted by simplespeed View Post
    This topic all depends on the circles you run with. I can understand not wanting to worry other parents and suff. But, if i have 5 friends over at my place you can pretty much assume there are 5 or 6 guns and up 10 knives in the room. No safer place in town for your kids to be than at my house at that time. In public i use my umnuzaan latley but ive carried a 560, 551, rift, barrage with axis assist, esee 4, etc. and never have had a problem. I do carry a sak from time to time but only because i like it, not because im scared to pull out my big blade. But then again, i live in Texas so people might be a little more understanding. Iv found that most men become very interesed in your knife and soon start hunting for one of thier own. Everyone i work with carries a knife also and women who know you asways ask to borrow your knife.
    yeah here in Texas it's odd if you don't have a knife. I've not really had any bad reactions to any of my large folders, ZT561, 551, 350, 301 have all been used in public. But I use em and put em away, don't really play with them unless at home.

Yay! I'm smart!

"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"
    -A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by TX180SX View Post
    +1 I was almost going to recommend a peanut or stockman. I've found most people actually like and want to see the few traditionals I have.

yeah here in Texas it's odd if you don't have a knife. I've not really had any bad reactions to any of my large folders, ZT561, 551, 350, 301 have all been used in public. But I use em and put em away, don't really play with them unless at home.
    It depends on where in Texas you live. I live in a medium sized border town with a heavy Border Patrol presence. Thus, we have more law enforcement types, per capita, than a large city might. That, coupled with the usual hunters, farmers, ranchers, and oil/natural gas field workers typical to this area, and it adds up to lots of people walking around with knives (and guns). However, when I travel to larger cities, I see far fewer knives clipped to pockets.

Still, my knife-o-meter really dies down when I travel out of state. We definitely pack more heat in Texas than most other places.

Not a Kershaw.. but I just ordered one of these (thumb stud version): http://www.coldsteel.com/mackinachunter.html

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk45 View Post
    Not a Kershaw.. but I just ordered one of these (thumb stud version): http://www.coldsteel.com/mackinachunter.html
    Although the thumb stud version is not as traditional-looking as the nail nick, I've ripped or bent back my finger nail enough times on a nail nick to recommend the thumb stud without reservation.

Zt 560! :d

This would be a good choice. Kershaw Kurai. uploadfromtaptalk1346435411670.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheOTBalisong View Post
    This:
    Obvious troll is obvious. But still hilarious!

If your talking Kershaw I'm a pretty big fan of the little Chive. Also there's the slightly bigger Scallion as well as the inexpensive but nifty half-ton. While Cheap the half ton has a bright red handle that screams not threatening also you can get the Scallions and Chives in various colors as well. I'm a firm believer in handle color when it comes to sheeple friendly knives. Black is a no go obviously, however the brighter the more acceptable it seems.

I have never had an issue with even the most skittish/non-knife people when using smaller Kershaw knives. My experience has been that people think they are neat and want to know where to get them, especially women. They love them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information