Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: military toughness

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet B View Post
    I haven't gotten a feel for where the edge retention is of my CPM 3V Tuff compared to other steels. I do know from reading that the toughness of that steel is off the charts compared to other high end alloy steels. It's pretty much over-kill for any folder including the Tuff let alone something less suited to impact type work like a Military. But, overkill has never stopped us before... I guess chipping resistance is never a bad thing even in a hard use slicer.

It's definitely a steel that I want in my next fixed blade camp knife that's for sure. It has me real interested in a Bark River Bravo 1 in 3V.

A tough steel with a thin bevel angle won't chip as much as a less tough steel at the same thinness. I bet a military in 3v can be taken down to 20° inclusive without any trouble.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KNaB View Post
    No kidding. I own a few compression lock spydies and it is a fantastic lock, but EVERY spydie does not need a compression lock. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

*cough* K390 *cough*
    This certainly applies to the Military. It still needs a tip-up carry option though. How cool would that be, 4-point orientation like most other utility Spyderco's?
    Obama is America's first Affirmative Action president.
    Anonymous

I have a decent collection of Millies going back to a 440V model ( SE). Some I like better than others. ( BG42, M390 and a few more with the Ti CPM M4 being a different knife for practical purposes).

I have never wished I had more strength, or been in a position that I felt the millie wasn't tough enough for me. Not yet anyway. I've never felt like I wished it could cut and slice, or open and close better either.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by msierant View Post
    hello forum,
    as always, this is a great place to get advice and suggestions. no doubt will send him this military. he's in an armor support group on his 3rd deployment total. iran and afghanistan. a good kid who respects tools for what they are. am sure he won't try to pry a link-pin on a tow chain. as you all agree, the military is one hell of a blade. great ergo's, weight ratio, and overall quality. always liked mine but haven't been in a combat theater for 40 years. my randall 14 was and is a boat anchor so the buck 110 got the most usage. at least it didn't rust. for all you older vets, you know we didn't have a lot to choose from. sal hit on a winner with the military and para. used as it was intended will not fail him. have to add my opinion on some of the videos that are on you-tube. i myself would never buy a griptilian after seeing if fail by stepping on it between two 2x4's. definitely an inferior knife. got to wonder who would think ANY folder could survive some of these so-called 'hard use tests'. having owned knives from all the top rated companies [spyderco, kershaw, benchmade and zt] i've never been disappointed by any product that was used for it's intended purpose. anyway, thanks again to all and best regards. keep our troops in your prayers.
    mike
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...made+mini+grip
    This is my review of the Spyderco Para Military 2 vs the Benchmade mini Grip!

5. Hi Sal,
    I'm gonna have to follow Bob and pick one of these up too.

I think you'll like it.
    There's good reason why it's managed to stay iconic in these days of constant change.
    Buy my book! Amazon: Kindle: Barnes and Noble:

I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Glesser View Post
    I'ver heard some horror stories about using a Miltary model for defense from troops in the middle east. The knives always performed well, held up well and the troop came home. That does it for me.

Although we will continue to refine and evolve the model based on our own testing, feedback from users (like you) and the creation of new materials that up the performance.

sal
    Well, if they didn't come back alive, they wouldn't be able to tell you horror stories. Good to hear that it did the job. I only owned a Millie for a month or so (too big for me to take to Korea with me in the end), it was a pretty incredible knife. If I wasn't in the UK now, and extremely limited in what I can EDC, I would jump right on getting another one, and a PM2 to pair with it.

I've never had an issue with the toughness of the Military. I've cut through some pretty gnarly material with my Military's and haven't seen a bit of flex or lock movement. I don't really worry too much about overstrikes, spine whacks, etc. I carry the Military when I want to use a large knife that can slice like a beast and hold it's edge until my cutting tasks are done. I just can't say enough good things about this knife. Put a compression lock on it and make it in tip-up and I'd probably buy five more of them!

Quote Originally Posted by bean_sips View Post
    I've never had an issue with the toughness of the Military. I've cut through some pretty gnarly material with my Military's and haven't seen a bit of flex or lock movement. I don't really worry too much about overstrikes, spine whacks, etc. I carry the Military when I want to use a large knife that can slice like a beast and hold it's edge until my cutting tasks are done. I just can't say enough good things about this knife. Put a compression lock on it and make it in tip-up and I'd probably buy five more of them!
    Here we go again...

I guess I will never understand the desire for a tip-up military. Different strokes.....sure, but I don't feel the millie lends itself to being tip-up. It feels....well, awkward and unnatural in the tip-up position. I am not, solely, a tip- down kinda person as I actually carry many knives that feel right in tip-up carry, but when it comes to the military....nuh uh.

feelin right isnt the only problem, i dont want extended liners, if you as me i don't even want the second liner on the non locking side. but obviously this has been beaten to death over and over ....
    Last edited by pwet; 09-07-2012 at 06:53 PM.

IMHO, the overall size of the Military would not lend itself very well for tip up carry. But, as mentioned, different strokes.....

Any change to the design(i.e. Compression lock, tip up carry, etc.) and the Military would not be a Military. I would be curious about a Military 2 with a stop lock but leave the original Millie alone....please.
    "A man who is "of sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key."--- Paul Valery
    Veritas Aequitas --honor and truth in actions and justice, regardless of the circumstances.
    Survive, Adapt, and Overcome...

I believe sal has stated that the normal military will continue to be produced in addition to the military 2. Personally Im stoked for the military 2. Im not a fan of tip down carry or liner locks but love the military in general.
    Now that I have seen, I am responsible. Faith without deeds is dead.

Hunter Martin
    The Huntsman Knife Company

In all honesty, the Military is one of the only knives that I don't mind to carry tip-down. For almost all other knives, however, I prefer tip-up. I remember another thread from awhile ago where Sal had mentioned plans for a new lock and four-way clip in the next iteration of the Military.

For the topic at hand, though, I'll reiterate: the Military has a proven track record when it comes to toughness.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information