Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Case Caliber Folders?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I may be branded a heretic for saying this, but if only someone could now convince them (Case) to upgrade their steel, if only slightly, say to 12c27 or even better 13c26, and run it a couple of numbers higher hardness... Oh my!
    -Jo Henning Kalbakken-
    (That's my name.)
    ((aarya means wise man in sanskrit, and i keep on tryin'.))

Quote Originally Posted by aarya View Post
    I may be branded a heretic for saying this, but if only someone could now convince them (Case) to upgrade their steel, if only slightly, say to 12c27 or even better 13c26, and run it a couple of numbers higher hardness... Oh my!
    The Tru-Sharp steel is 420HC, and as Buck demonstrates, can be taken much harder than Case does. But Case keeps it at a lower hardness to mimic the feel and ease of sharpening of their carbon steel while being stainless. I too would prefer harder blades in my Cases, but that's not the direction they've chosen.
    -Aaron

I like my knives like I like my girlfriend, pretty and old fashioned. The gray plastic handled Case knives don't fit the bill. Lightweight does not do it for me either. How heavy can a pocket knife be anyway?

Thanks guys.
    You know about me and pix but I will try to get one up.
    As for the synthetic materials, remember all the rabble about polymer firearms? Well, they have their place. Choice is Good.
    When I was younger, a friend told me that as I got older I would prefer lighter man toys, guns n knives. I thought he was nuts. He was right, imo.
    Last edited by Lycosa; 09-06-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
    As for the synthetic materials, remember all the rabble about polymer firearms? Well, they have there (sic) place.
    Yeah, but you don't see plastic framed 1911s or plastic stocked Winchester 1873s.
    -Aaron

True. Variety is the spice of life. Just like Ford and Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by thawk View Post
    Lightweight does not do it for me either. How heavy can a pocket knife be anyway?
    Well the new AG Russell Sunfish is 9.8 ounces. Well over a half pound. That's pretty full-on heavy, I have guns that don't weigh much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
    Yeah, but you don't see plastic framed 1911s or plastic stocked Winchester 1873s.
    Rock River Arms, Wilson Combat and STI all make plastic framed 1911s. Marlin makes polymer stocked lever-action rifles.

peanut looks interesting

In the heart of darkness. Learning the secrets of the mighty Douk-douk.
    Well, I just ordered the tan trapper. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

No Sunfish for me! I'd rather carry a brick. But, it's a dang nice folder!
    I did order a Hammerhead yesterday. I love this folder design.
    My Ruger SS 10/22 has a polymer stock, btw.
    I just had an interview with the local paper about these new Case knives. When the article comes out, I'll provide a link.
    Yob- Yull love it. Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by aarya View Post
    If they actually did that, they would be in competition with makers that just about own that market outright in the now, namely Kershaw, Spyderco and Benchmade. From those guys you can get a full range of steels, and scale materials vastly superior to that soft zytel. I have three large non traditional work knives that I carry in rotation, and they are screwed together for easy dismantling for cleaning (not riveted) and all have machined liners, G10 handles, and much better steels for me than CASE currently offers. Two are made here in the USA, and one in Taiwan. All are great knives and I use the hell out of them, and on occasion clean all the construction adhesives, sealants and all other manner of crap off of them with charcoal lighter fluid. Can't do that with Zytel.

To me, with the exception of the peanut (that little knife with the little plastic scales has a distinct truck stop "gimme" knife look) they look like they are trying to crack into the medium work/diposable utility knife market. Then on the other hand, maybe they were just looking for a cheaper CASE knife to put out in the marketplace. From their side, I can see how it would have its economic appeal to have an assembler sitting at a machine with a pile of parts simply riveting together a product rather than hand assembling and hand finishing. With the end product, however it fits is well... however it fits. If it is terrible, they can grind off the rivets and put the good pieces back in the bucket for another knife.

Little training, little skill, and inexpensive (say... ten cents a side for the injected plastic scale?) materials and you have a pretty profitable product if it sells.

My experience with Zytel is not good for a work knife (think BUCK here) and I won't buy any more. Top that with CASE's preference for soft steels, and I must say I don't get the appeal.of this line from them. I was pretty put off by these knives, but then, CASE wouldn't make them if they weren't popular enough to sell. I dunno; Zippo is certainly a lot more savvy about marketing than I am. I am sure these will find a market along with all the other knives of their kind.

Robert

Thanks Robert. Time will tell...
    The Zytel handles on these Calibers are thick. I REALLY like how they feel in my hand.
    As I mentioned before, my Dad carried a traditional folder, with that old steel and plastic handle, for a long, long time. Give a Caliber a test run.

Well, since this is the Traditional Forum, I don't reckon "pinned construction" is a negative.

I dunno. Whatever whets yer whistle. I kinda think Buck does this niche (working knives) better. But, they have been at it longer. Be interested to see what the follow-along from Case will be.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

In the heart of darkness. Learning the secrets of the mighty Douk-douk.
    My thinking on these knives goes like this; I work in steel fabrication wearing gloves (always) so I need a good size knife that can be drawn from the pocket easilyso the size of the trapper and the grippy FRN handles should be perfect in this situation. I'm getting a bit fed up with pocket clips lately for reasons I don't need to get into so check that box too. Love Case, nuff said. Never been a "premium steel" junkie, I like mid range steels just fine, check. If Case can deliver some-variations in color and the fit and finish (especially the walk and talk) are good they will likely sell a few more knives to me in this line.

Real talk. ^
    I just bet my Nef, Kev, my Mako will go a year in my pocket. I say it will go longer.

Quote Originally Posted by knarfeng View Post
    Well, since this is the Traditional Forum, I don't reckon "pinned construction" is a negative.

I dunno. Whatever whets yer whistle. I kinda think Buck does this niche (working knives) better. But, they have been at it longer. Be interested to see what the follow-along from Case will be.
    These working knives from Case don't look bad, in a Gum Fuddy like Blue.

AMERICAN WORKMAN BLUE SYNTHETIC LARGE STOCKMAN
    Pattern Number: 6375 SS

Allen Saunders: Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.

Like I said before, I like them as hiking knives and where I know there is a chance they can get really gummed up. Less pieces/parts since the handles are one piece. They're not pretty so you aren't worried about scratching a bolster or anything. I also have an American Workman stockman that gets similar treatment at the campsite but if I'm going on a long hike and I know it's going to get sweat soaked just by being in a pocket I'll grab one of the Caliber knives. The handles are a little more slip resistant with gloves because of the one piece handle and the texturing. The handles are also a slight bit thicker so they're great with gloves.
    Does it stop me from carrying my amber trapper or my black peanut the rest of the time? Nope. Just another choice in the toolbox.

That's right man. ^ Carry as many knives as it takes.
    That's a nice blue Stockman!

Unc, I'm holding you to that bet!

One year

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information