Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Observation regarding Knife Giveaways

An Observation regarding Knife Giveaways

ADVERTISEMENT
    In the short time that I've been a member of this forum, I've seen an extraordinary amount of knife giveaways. I don't enter them, as I would feel guilty for not sufficiently contributing to this subforum; plus, others are much more deserving.

However, it's a thrill for me to peek in on the threads, especially when the recipient is informed that they won. I've never seen so much kindness on a forum as I see here. Good deeds often go un-noticed, but they happen here in this sub forum all the time.

As such, I commend you folks for your acts of kindness and the sincerity in sharing the experience with like-minded enthusiasts.

Well said Sir...totally correct,and much of the same generosity go,s on outside of the confines of this forum...a truly great little community...........FES

I'm having a give away right now. You must have missed the part where it said: OPEN TO EVERYONE. Go enter your name.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ranchmanben View Post
    I'm having a give away right now. You must have missed the part where it said: OPEN TO EVERYONE. Go enter your name.Ben
    Actually, I did see your thread Ben, beautiful trapper too. I think your thread was the last straw and is what pushed me over the edge, prompting my post to acknowledge the generosity of this sub forum. I'll be peeking in on your thread to see who the lucky winner is. I'm fortunate to have a couple trappers that I love dearly and I hope the winner feels the same with your gift.

US Steel, same with me. Put your name in on my GAW. There are six knives there. Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by medicevans View Post
    US Steel, same with me. Put your name in on my GAW. There are six knives there. Do it!
    Thanks medicevans ~ You folks are awesome.

One of the best experiences I have had on this forum was a giveaway I did. I have more knives than I could ever use, so it feels good to give a knife away to someone who might need one.

Glenn
    "you know the road doesn't end, when it reaches a bend..." - Poco

Proud Supporter of JK Knives #65

Steel, I really do want everyone to enter my giveaway. That way if a traditional knife junkie wins, he or she will get a knife that they can appreciate. If someone who is new to knives or maybe just new to traditionals wins, they will get a great introduction to the slipjoint world. I can't speak for everyone but I am having a giveaway not just because of all I have learned from people. I'm giving something back to a great community. There are people here I haven't learned squat from but I like to see the pictures they post or read the witty comments they write. This is a great place and a fine bunch of people and contrary to popular belief, everybody could stand to have one more knife. Especially a free one.

Ben

Stel, let me tell ya something.

I'm relatively new to the computer world, and I origianlly got on my better halfs one day and she showed me how to browse forums. She knew my interests, and guided me to gun forums, motorcycle forums, canoe forums, knife forums, and others. One by one, I stopped going to most of those other places. Not that they didn't have good info for my hobbies, but the sites were filled with obnoxious, know it all, petty, people that had a very strong resemblance to the south end of a north bound horse.

Of them all, this site has been a inspiration to me and a reminder, that good decent people still exist on the internet, people that I have no trouble calling friend even though I've never met most of them in person. Those few that I have had the good fortune to have met and shared a lunch with, I would have no trouble adopting as one of my grandsons. With no reservations. I've had a great time giving away stuff here, knowing that it will be used an appreciated. And that great generosity has been returned to me by the great folks here giving me items that I cherish not because I needed them, but it was a gift from a friend. I really don't know if another site exists anywhere on the 'net, but I seriously doubt it. This place is like another time and place, like Willoughby in some twilight zone, where a stranger can sit down on the bench in the park, and whittle with some others, make small talk, smoke a pipe, maybe even pass around a bottle in a brown paper sack, and by the end of an hour, you're all great friends. Not many places like this anymore, anywhere.

Pull up a chair and join us. The jug is over by the counter.

Carl.

Well said Jackknife. Thank you.
    Clay

Quote Originally Posted by jackknife View Post
    Pull up a chair and join us. The jug is over by the counter.
    Thanks Carl. Thanks to Mrs. Jackknife too for introducing you to computers. I've been around them for awhile, back when Bulletin Boards proceeded Internet forums. Heck, even before that if we go back to my early HF communications days in the U.S. Navy..

But, as time goes by and we get older, we also become more selective in our social choices. As such, I've reduced my preferred sites to only a very small handful and BF is one of them; largely because I was most impressed with the variety of subforums here. Although I'm no subject matter expert, I appreciate a variety of knives. But, it was the most recent purchase of a Case Trapper & Case Kodiak fixed blade that made me realize (all over again) just how functional and relevant these designs are.

I love some of my tactical knives, I appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of my CRK's and I'm impressed with some of my autos. But, in reality, I've come to realize that a simple well crafted old school Trapper is more than plenty knife for my usage requirements. It's almost embarrassing that I took those old knives for granted and that it took me 35+ years to realize that it was those very knives that ignited the passion, even if it was suppressed for decades.

This forum has always been the most welcoming and I consider all the fine folk in here my friends (never met any of you in person, but if you needed a bed to lay ya head in my neck of the woods I wouldn't turn you away)...I've been given a couple knives in my time here, a 2010 BF knife and a silver fob knife and they are treasures to me that I would never part with. Hopefully once I'm more settled into my house, I can head to BLADE and put a face to the names.

I hope to be able to extend the same generosity in the near future.

First, thanks to Carl for his second paragraph...the story is all there
    We are all aware that this is a special place, populated by great people. That's why we like it, that's why we stay. Still, it does feel good to say it loud to ourselves, from time to time...
    I hosted two giveaways here, and I have to say I really enjoyed them. So much that I might do another one soon (I have an idea on my mind...). And I've received much more than I gave: knowledge, advices, friendship, gifts, more than I could hope for, no matter the fact I never won a giveaway myself.
    I know I live overseas from most of you, so the odds are that we'll probably not meet in person, not with the majority of you anyway. I feel that I will meet some of you along the way (and I'm sure it will be a great experience and not just a talk with a stranger about knives), but I know that, even with all the rest, I've shared and enjoyed more than with so many people I've met in person. I receive emails from BF friends who just write me to say "hi, how are you?", and I often find myself doing the same. Both things feel great.
    If I went away from BF today, I would still be sure that this has been one of the best and unexpected experiences I had...but you guys aren't going to get rid of me that soon

Fausto

Bladeforums is a great community, and the Traditional forum is an even better community within a community. By and large, the internet is a vile, disgusting cesspool filled with racism, bigotry, ignorance, selfishness, and indifference. Places where people actually care about each other are rare and far between. This is one of the few places on the 'net that I've found where I can honestly call someone a friend, yet haven't even met them in the real world or shaken his hand. The frequent giveaways are only a part of what makes this a great community, but they definitely exemplify it.
    -Aaron

15. A lot of knives are also given away to members off the record. I've also been fortunate to win two of the giveaways... actually, I asked not to be considered for one... but the giver refused my request! You'll be hard pressed to find a more generous group of guys.
    Last edited by supratentorial; 09-03-2012 at 04:19 PM.

US-STEEL
    "early HF commo". Remember morse code. Fun (not really, but it would get through last ditch, As long as your antenna was cut to freq right, slopping v was a hero. And sending over water was it.) i had it at JFK Bragg. Army, commo on your back, shoe leather express. ( commo was not my choice, oh well)
    Clay

Well said US-STEEL. I've been drawn to this place too, from the moment I stumbled upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
    US-STEEL
    "early HF commo". Remember morse code. Fun (not really, but it would get through last ditch, As long as your antenna was cut to freq right, slopping v was a hero. And sending over water was it.) i had it at JFK Bragg. Army, commo on your back, shoe leather express. ( commo was not my choice, oh well)
    Clay
    Greetings to my fellow Sparky.. Code was still in use in my early days, but quickly on its way out. Q & Z signals via ship-to-shore & ship-to-ship task group orestes was the order of the day and searching for useable freqs throughout the night was always a challenge.

In the heart of darkness. Learning the secrets of the mighty Douk-douk.
    As always Carl hit the nail on the head. I belong to a whole lot of forums and only post at all on two of 'em, mostly this one.

Even though I am a relative newcomer to Bladeforums, I have to agree with all of the above. I've been on the Web as long as there was a Web, and Gopher, Telnet and BBS systems before it. I discovered forums about 8 years ago and participate on some frequently. I'm also a moderator on a watch forum, one of my other hobbies, and have been blessed with terrific members who giveaway watches now and then. But, I've never been a part of a forum like Traditionals here on BF. The friendliness and generosity is, well, amazing.
    I am very, very happy that I found this place. You folks are awesome, thank you.

Cheers,
    Griff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information