Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: real life axe work Tiaga style

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Square_peg View Post
    Fantastic book! Unbelievable hardship endured. It's a must read.
    i feel the same about the book. don't really know for sure if it is all true , but it sure is an intriguing story

Great video! Thanks for sharing it here.

It's a great video. They're very self-sufficient - except for a few things. They need fuel for the snow machines and the chain saws. And they need staple foods. I sometimes think about the people living in the remote areas of Alaska and northern Canada. They rely so heavily on supplies being shipped in. If the system broke down they'd be just as screwed as the rest of us, maybe more so.

i see what you mean, the Taiga people are at the mercy of the supply system. i suppose they could do without fuel, but without staple food , living on game could be a problem.
    a friend of mine lives in Alaska, he gets food assistance , SSI and visits the food bank regularly, hauls water from a hydrant at a laundromat . but has natural gas in his cabin and the www. sort of a hybrid style of survival.
    he used to burn wood for heat but has a gas stove, used a chainsaw to cut firewood. i don't know if he owns an axe?

gettin' off topic here.

buzz

I think you're right on topic. It's about the life of folks on the taiga.

There's a reason why population densities were historically low in those areas. The land can only provide for so many. Suppose they decided to go without fuel. Switching from chainsaws to crosscut saws would mean they would need more food - the new energy source for cutting wood. Suppose they traded in their snow machines for dogsleds. Sounds doable, right? But remember what they're feeding the dogs? Fish from the river. Every trapper who kept 1 or 2 dogs before will need a dozen or more now. What will that do to the supply of fish?

Take away fuel and the population would have to revert to the historical low densities.

Square, you're right on it.
    the resources and habitat are the controlling factor. not a simple dynamic , living a simple life seems to keep things in balance, furs and lumber going out,kerosene/gasoline, flour , guns&ammo coming in
    very astute observation.
    the natives of course needing none of the outside world

buzz

A few years back in Siberia, and I think closer to the Pacific Ocean, the Soviet government did not get the Winter supplies "Shipped In". Because air resupply was too expensive and unreliable, they evacuated several towns of their entire populations. The only folks that stayed in the area were the nomadic reindeer people. I find it ironic that a nation that can send men into space and have a space station, yet when it comes to a Siberian Winter, it is only the people who are the least technology oriented who can stay and survive. John

Quote Originally Posted by John A. Larsen View Post
    A few years back in Siberia, and I think closer to the Pacific Ocean, the Soviet government did not get the Winter supplies "Shipped In". Because air resupply was too expensive and unreliable, they evacuated several towns of their entire populations. The only folks that stayed in the area were the nomadic reindeer people. I find it ironic that a nation that can send men into space and have a space station, yet when it comes to a Siberian Winter, it is only the people who are the least technology oriented who can stay and survive. John
    yep ain't it the truth. the primitives survive without super power technology, food for thought.

the main reason i respect those who make it on limited resources and shun government trappings.
    oh

buzz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information