Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what do you guys use your HI Sirupate for?

ADVERTISEMENT
    A KFR sheath would probably work with a little modification. This particular sheath I made is designed to fit just this rig. The big difference is that the sheath has no traditional belt loop. If you put this sheath on your belt, the knife would be held parallel to the floor and not perpendicular. The shoulder holster's anchoring point is a roughly 3-4" arrow head shaped piece of leather. Basically the straps come off, the knife sheath goes down and wedge against the arrow head. The straps get screwed back on and it keeps it in place. A long belt strap connects the shoulder rig to my belt so that when I draw the knife, the sheath stays put.

I actually really like this shoulder rig as I can carry several different khuks with it, and it also fits my .357 Black Hawk. I think it was about $39 dollars and took me about 5 minutes to put it together...with about 4 more months of screwing with it before I modified it to my liking

I've got a real hankering for a new dagger, and I might rotate whatever i end up with as well...but dang, does this 15" Siru not fit the bill
    Jake
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

my 15" 16-18 oz. sirupate is amazing! I can split logs with it, it shaves bark pretty good. its a very nimble blade too. I can swing it and change direction with it very fast. It makes a great self-defense blade. Awesome for bush craft. The karda with it is nice too. I take my siru whenever i am in the wilderness. It is the perfect size to carry while packing out 30 miles. I used it for a week straight in the bush and it held its razor edge with a few sweeps of the chakmak or whatever its called. I really want a kydex sheath for it to.

It was thanks to Steely_Gunz having written here of his shoulder rig in the past that I went off to Tandy and picked up one of those shoulder rig kits. I geared mine up to carry my Fisk Bowie on my left, and a combination holster for Leatherman XTi multitool, LED Mini Mag, and fire steel on my right. If you look at the pictures in my article about it here, you can see how I did the attachment. The scabbard has a simple stud that permits it to be slid behind a belt or IWB for alternate carry, but the strap that laces across it to attach to the shoulder rig is a simple corset that wraps around the scabbard with the arrow shaped panel on the shoulder harness trapped between it and the scabbard. The lacing tightens it all up and after a year of constant use, the whole thing has stood the test. The only modification I've made is adding a retention strap for the Bowie that I'll post a picture of in a day or two.

This has nothing to do with the Siru ... which I too have in 20" ... but I mention my method of scabbard attachment in case it might help others in fabricating such a carry method.
    Last edited by Whynacht; 09-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.

I posted a few hours ago.. and it had to be approved by a mod? Haven't had that happen before on any of the forums I've been on. Mine was supposed to be post #19. That's some weird stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by Steely_Gunz View Post
    A KFR sheath would probably work with a little modification. This particular sheath I made is designed to fit just this rig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynacht View Post
    It was thanks to Steely_Gunz having written here of his shoulder rig in the past that I went off to Tandy and picked up one of those shoulder rig kits.
    Well, I've been thinking about learning to work with leather, and I think this just might push me over the edge...

Thanks a lot for the info!

"Cataloguing my virtues won't work either... I hold them to a minimum so they're easy to keep track of." -Jim Rockford

I have a Tandy kit as well.. but I haven't used it (yet) for any of my khukuri's, but I think I've been inspired to experiment a bit. The only thing I have hooked up to it right now is a Nimravus set up for right rear draw.. but it's a bit awkward. I'm gonna see if my Sirupate will fit good in cross draw like yours does. Thanks for the little kick of inspiration!
    Last edited by Ta2warrior; 09-09-2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: correcting spelling

My Siru is my 2nd HI kukri, I bought it intending it would probably see more use than my 1st HI kukri which is big (20") but also too nicely carved for me to bear using.

I love the liveliness of the blade (and it is delicate only in comparison to other kukris--"graceful" is a good word), but I confess however that after doing the standard "test" of the steel (whacking the hell out of a stump with the edge, spine, and both sides) it is currently decorating my den. Auntie Yangdu thoughtfully included 2-kukri display piece (maybe not altruism on her part--perhaps knowing I would have to fill that empty slot!) so now the pair are a sort of "kukri daisho".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information