Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 97

Thread: 12 Year Old Owning A Sebenza, What Do You Have To Say About That?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    417

    ADVERTISEMENT
    Why not just ask the kid if he "appreciates" the knife? All this speculation on appreciation and the ability/inability for a child to feel what is evidently considered a strictly adult emotion is pretty silly.

    He has a lot of knives and doesn't use them all? Sounds like a kindred spirit to me.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    756
    My son who is now 11 about to be 12 has been carrying a Buck canoe for 2 years and just got a orange delica which makes 5 in his small collection. My son loves knifes almost as much as dad does, but a sebenza not a chance. In my opinion you have to work your way up to a CRK to appreciate the simply elelegance of a finely crafted piece of engineering. Not "man does that look cool". My son will have his when he graduates college or leaves PARRIS ISLAND a UNITED STATES MARINE.
    USMC 88-96 "SEMPER FI"

    "For those who have fought for it...FREEDOM... has a flavor the protected will never know"

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland or ....
    Posts
    16,624
    Who's the kid ? Your little brother, neighbour, cousin, family friend ? It seems he looks up to you somewhat and wants to be like you by having the same or similar things that you do. If he or his parents are solvent enough to buy Sebenzas then bully for them, it's none of my business what they do with their money and kids. I also have no problem with kids having knives as long as there is an understanding of proper use and respect for a knife taught along with that. I don't think a spoilt brat should get a Sebenza just because he wants one though, but again that is none of my business. I would agree that an appreciation of design, fabrication, materials and workman ship is indeed largly lost to a 12 year old, but it's also lost on many adults too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bali-Flipper32 View Post
    I know a 12 year old boy who just got a small 21 with wood inlays. What do you think about that, do you think he is old enough to appreciate it? He knows next to nothing about knives, all he knows is what he hears me say. He has higher end knives, but he diesn't use them, he just knows I like them, so he does too. Tellme what ya'll think.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    15,451
    It sounds like he is spoiled. If he is getting expensive knives at 12 years old, he will probably never have to worry to much, about getting everything else he wants in life.
    My son is 15, and he too likes knives, but there is no way I would lay out $400 for a knife for him...
    If it was something he really wanted, and worked and saved his money for it, I would help him though.

    Maybe the parents buy him expensive things, to make up for not spending time with the boy. I grew up with a couple kids that were like that
    ______________

    Mike WTB - Benchmade Ritter S30V Mini Griptilian & Mini Griptilian scales

    R.I.P Bill ( Maniacal Pete ) I only wish there was something we could have done to help...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,479
    It's a bit like parents giving a 16-year-old a new BM.

    If that makes sense to you, then a new Seb probably would, too.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland or ....
    Posts
    16,624
    Quote Originally Posted by 338375 View Post
    It sounds like he is spoiled. If he is getting expensive knives at 12 years old, he will probably never have to worry to much, about getting everything else he wants in life.
    My son is 15, and he too likes knives, but there is no way I would lay out $400 for a knife for him...
    If it was something he really wanted, and worked and saved his money for it, I would help him though.

    Maybe the parents buy him expensive things, to make up for not spending time with the boy. I grew up with a couple kids that were like that
    I would say that is very likely indeed, I have friends that grew up with vacant parents that had lots of money but little time. They got anything they wanted to help quench the guilt of them not being there.

  7. #27
    Love everyone reading into this kid's character and home life, and "learning experiences" based on what knife he carries haha. Give it a rest everyone. So the kid has a Sebenza, all of you would have jumped at the opportunity to have had one at such a young age.

    Stupid to try to read into anything besides "hey that kid has a good knife."

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardShelby View Post
    Love everyone reading into this kid's character and home life, and "learning experiences" based on what knife he carries haha. Give it a rest everyone. So the kid has a Sebenza, all of you would have jumped at the opportunity to have had one at such a young age.

    Stupid to try to read into anything besides "hey that kid has a good knife."


    Exactly.... It took me into my 20s before I became well off enough to buy the cars, knives, and finer things in life I wanted..... I would have gladly taken the chance to have them 10+ years earlier...

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Northwest Connecticut
    Posts
    465
    My first knife was an Opinel #8 at around age 9. Plenty high quality for a kid who is going to be throwing it into the ground, and generally abusing it. Sebenza? No way. My son is 9 and about to get his first knife. Actually he I bought it when he was born--a Victorinox Soldier with the date engraved on the blade. I made sure to get one that had the year of his birth. Put it away to give him when he was old enough. Any day now, or I should say, the day his mom decides he's ready for it... I have thought about maybe giving him a Sebenza when he turns 18. My personal feeling is that a SAK is the perfect knife for a kid, at least the kind of kid I was. I would not have traded all those awesome tools for a fixed blade at that age.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland or ....
    Posts
    16,624
    The kid is 12, he is a dependant, it is illegal for him to work at that age, he can't pay for these knives him self unless he's getting funny money for doing chores about the house or it was given to him, along with the other high end knives the OP claims he has......What would you say is happening here ?

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardShelby View Post
    Love everyone reading into this kid's character and home life, and "learning experiences" based on what knife he carries haha. Give it a rest everyone. So the kid has a Sebenza, all of you would have jumped at the opportunity to have had one at such a young age.

    Stupid to try to read into anything besides "hey that kid has a good knife."

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Canada, BC
    Posts
    3,748
    Waste of money. But as you say, he is spoiled so there you go. Doesn't make you lucky of you have tons of stuff but don't appreciate.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    somewhere deep in the heart of the midwest, between the corn fields and the void
    Posts
    2,220
    Age isn't so much a factor, I got my first knife well before 12 and plan on giving my boy a mammoth bark SAK when he hits 8 or 9. I'm looking forward to giving him a Sebenza and teaching him how to take it apart and clean it and put it back together.

    I guess my only thought on this is, lucky kid

    My parents probably would've laughed at me if I had asked for a $400+ knife as a kid, but hey, whatever
    "The edge, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over" -Hunter S. Thompson
    ISEK#13

  13. #33
    That's exactly it, I'm saying for everyone to stop reading into it, because who knows. It's stupid to say "oh he's spoiled" or "stupid parent" just because he owns a sebenza.

    And I'll clue you in on something, you couldn't pay for the clothes on your back, the food on your plate, the roof you lived under, and the toys you played with throughout much, if not all of your childhood.


    Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    The kid is 12, he is a dependant, it is illegal for him to work at that age, he can't pay for these knives him self unless he's getting funny money for doing chores about the house or it was given to him, along with the other high end knives the OP claims he has......What would you say is happening here ?

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland or ....
    Posts
    16,624
    You're cluing me in are you ? I'm of course acutley aware of that as are all but the most slight of mind. I also understand the most likely reason why kids of a dependant age get exuberant gifts, such as a Sebenza.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeonardShelby View Post
    That's exactly it, I'm saying for everyone to stop reading into it, because who knows. It's stupid to say "oh he's spoiled" or "stupid parent" just because he owns a sebenza.

    And I'll clue you in on something, you couldn't pay for the clothes on your back, the food on your plate, the roof you lived under, and the toys you played with throughout much, if not all of your childhood.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southeastern Wisconsin
    Posts
    471
    I think a boy of his age is old enough to carry a knife and use it responsibly (providing he has the proper training and oversight), but I don't think he can really appreciate the value or quality of a CRK yet. I would probably give him a Spyderco Dragonfly or Delica.

    The Sebenza is something I would gift as an 18th or 21st birthday present.
    Last edited by HistoricalMan; 09-10-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Grammar

  16. #36
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    2,817
    There is a lot of speculation in this thread from people who should probably know better.

    I doubt anybody here (including the OP) is in a position or knows enough about the situation to be passing judgement or arrive at an intelligent opinion based on all the facts.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland or ....
    Posts
    16,624
    The parts in bold are presented to us as facts by the OP. What would be your conclusion(s) based on the information given here ?

    Is the assumption he was given the Sebenza and other "higher end knives" an unreasonable one ? It is the most likely after all. Are the assumptions made on the reasons why he is given those knives also unreasonable ? We have all seen enough evidence from our own lives to be able to come to those conclusions or assumptions.

    This argument has nothing to do with Sebenzas or CRK any way and it seems to be little more than a "social dialog troll" from the OP, I just like arguing so that's why I took it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bali-Flipper32 View Post
    I know a 12 year old boy who just got a small 21 with wood inlays. What do you think about that, do you think he is old enough to appreciate it? He knows next to nothing about knives, all he knows is what he hears me say. He has higher end knives, but he diesn't use them, he just knows I like them, so he does too. Tellme what ya'll think.
    Quote Originally Posted by giant1 View Post
    There is a lot of speculation in this thread from people who should probably know better.

    I doubt anybody here (including the OP) is in a position or knows enough about the situation to be passing judgement or arrive at an intelligent opinion based on all the facts.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    2,817
    Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    The parts in bold are presented to us as facts by the OP. What would be your conclusion(s) based on the information given here ?

    Is the assumption he was given the Sebenza and other "higher end knives" an unreasonable one ? It is the most likely after all. Are the assumptions made on the reasons why he is given those knives also unreasonable ? We have all seen enough evidence from our own lives to be able to come to those conclusions or assumptions.

    This argument has nothing to do with Sebenzas or CRK any way and it seems to be little more than a "social dialog troll" from the OP, I just like arguing so that's why I took it up.

    For your information and edification I have high lighted the only bit of fact in this entire thread

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Rolla, MO
    Posts
    15
    A 13+ boy.....wow...way too lucky.
    I'm 35+ now, still struggling to purchase my 1st sebbie.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Scotland or ....
    Posts
    16,624
    I dare say you're right, old chap.

    Quote Originally Posted by giant1 View Post
    For your information and edification I have high lighted the only bit of fact in this entire thread

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •