Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I do not get the " Food Prep" people talk about knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMullet View Post
    Some say this knife is better for Food prep then that knife. But rarely im in my kitchen making dinner why would I pull out my EDC blade over the the chef knife in the block on my kitchen counter. It just might be me but I make and eat most of my meals in a kitchen be it may small or big, and all of us here have some kind of kitchen with kitchen knives. I just do not get well this knife is soo much better at food prep than the next. Ill put money on the fact that most of us look at these forums live in a modern life and for the most part do not make there dinner in some arcane setting with a pocket knife. Baa I'm drunk discuss
    Who do you live with? If you're single and live alone then you probably have one of the few opportunities outside of being a professional chef for keeping a set of kitchen knives sharp.

I have yet to see or hear of any normal kitchen where sharp knives are not horribly abused. They pretty much just don't belong there. Thus, the best kitchen knife I have is usually in my pocket.

When I am talking about food prep it is usually outside, and not inside of my kitchen. Or when I am not at home and have some food with me that I need cut up. Camping is another time you would need to use it for food prep.

It's also important for when you're too lazy to get the proper knife when you have a knife in your pocket

in my youtube knife reviews i talk about food prep with a knife because im a backpacker and it would be extremely stupid to take a kitchen knife into the backcountry, and you have to cut your food somehow

Quote Originally Posted by MadMullet View Post
    Some say this knife is better for Food prep then that knife. But rarely im in my kitchen making dinner why would I pull out my EDC blade over the the chef knife in the block on my kitchen counter. It just might be me but I make and eat most of my meals in a kitchen be it may small or big, and all of us here have some kind of kitchen with kitchen knives. I just do not get well this knife is soo much better at food prep than the next. Ill put money on the fact that most of us look at these forums live in a modern life and for the most part do not make there dinner in some arcane setting with a pocket knife. Baa I'm drunk discuss
    Really? Couldn't tell...

Anyway, to answer your question, I work in the film industry and we eat lunch outside a catering truck. The only utensils we get are plastic knives and forks. So I always bring my endura to use at lunch. Far superior.

As Phydeaux said, it's a good way to test the knife and learn its capabilities.

Also, I've often been visiting friends and helping out in the kitchen only to find that their knives are crappy or dull. If I have my Resilience along it's a lot easier to wipe it down and do the cutting than to try to take the time to sharpen their knives. The sharpening can wait until after the prep work is done.

Most of the time we use kitchen knives in the kitchen, but I have a pretty good idea of which knives can perform double duty with standard kitchen tasks.

I eat 66.7% of my meals on workdays in my truck, on the road, at some out of town food dive joint, in a hotel, or on the job. My EDC does a load of food prep.

It's not a major concern for me, but I do occasionally use my edc for food prep when it's the best available option. That's not the case in my kitchen, but it is in some others.

I'm away from my house 12 hours out of the day and no where near a kitchen. If you can't think of 1 reason, it's time to put the bottle down, you're too drunk. I use my EDC for breakfast, lunch, and snacks every single day, no exaggeration.

I find it hard to believe that someone hasn't used their EDC for food prep at one point.

I work in a state mental institution & the sharpest object available is a plastic spoon as opposed to a paper spoon. needless to say, my dinner is usually ate with assistance of whatever's in my pocket...

Quote Originally Posted by gooeytek View Post
    I use whatever knife I have on me to check meat on the grill all the time. At the gf's apartment though, she only has paring knives and a really old, worn-down-by-sharpening 8" chef's knife (belly is gone!). I can think of a couple EDC folders that I have (Spyderco Lum Chinese, Military, modified Keshaw Rake) that will outcut and outprep what she has available, handily.

I do agree that a kitchen knife is unmatched for handling kitchen tasks, and that's why I have a couple Shuns and a few custom kitchen knives too
    She would probably appreciate it if you get her some nice kitchen knives.

No my edc isn't a racist..it'll slice whatever!

I very rarely eat at home, when I do I use proper kitchen knives to prepare my meals. I don't work at a fixed location with a well stocked kitchen either, I'm constantly traveling around. So my knives get used for food prep quite often, in fact I usually carry a knife just for that use when I can. A spork is also part of my EDC.

I also eat more meals a day than most people (6), and I've got to follow a somewhat strict diet (I'm a wrestler) so my backpack is a mobile pantry of sorts. I eat once every 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Grease View Post
    I've definitely had to use my EDC for food before. Last month at a party they were serving various tasty pieces of meat, and they ran out of steak knives. I just pulled out my tenacious and used that instead.

And that is why all knife lovers should have a medium DMT sharpening card in their wallet. You can fix the knives, but you also get to feel superior as all your friends watch in awe as you freehand sharpen.
    You probably could have supplied the rest of the party too!

This is my most recent EDC blade. It's a 5 inch blade of 1/16 inch O1 and if you can find a better steak knife I will be shocked.

Here is a pic of the spine.

It's so light that I carry it everywhere and never notice it's there until I need to cut my meal.
    Rest in peace Bill. I wish I could have done more. You are sorely missed.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

Blog Entries
    hey Mack - I recognize that - it's the left handed JK!

To the OP - for me, most of my general use of a knife comes in my kitchen, so when I have a new knife to test, review or just to play with, the kitchen is an obvious place to play (in addition to making shavings and trying to chop wood where it makes sense).

If I only used my knives in the natural use they would see as an edc - all of my reviews would be me opening packages from the mail that contain new knives.

Seriously.

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosey View Post
    They just want a chance to use their EDC for everything.
    there is your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mqqn View Post
    hey Mack - I recognize that - it's the left handed JK!

To the OP - for me, most of my general use of a knife comes in my kitchen, so when I have a new knife to test, review or just to play with, the kitchen is an obvious place to play (in addition to making shavings and trying to chop wood where it makes sense).

If I only used my knives in the natural use they would see as an edc - all of my reviews would be me opening packages from the mail that contain new knives.

Seriously.

best

mqqn
    Oh yeah. I almost forgot about you and your food prep.

cutlass7.jpg
    Rest in peace Bill. I wish I could have done more. You are sorely missed.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

For me its sometimes camping, (I don't take a dedicated kitchen knife camping or hiking) but most of the time its because so far I haven't bought any decent kitchen knives (I live in an apartment with two other guys so I can easily see coming home and one of them using a $150 kitchen knife to chop on a ceramic plate and then dropping it tip first into the steel sink). Also my GF will ask to borrow any knife I have on me if she's cooking at her house because she knows she won't have to treat it like a hack saw to get through whatever she's trying to slice up.

I keep a Busse HogMUK in my kitchen for propper food prep.

Now THAT is another issue altogether and not an uncommon one in most home kitchens in American, I suspect. Even some of the inexpensive kitchen knives can be brought to s semi-servicable edge. The question is how long it will hold that edge. Certainly not the 5 years that some of those knives sit in someones knife block on the counter.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmegst View Post
    Well, we had a team picnic at work and the only knives (including the kitchen knives people brought from home) sharp enough to do all the slicing were my Manix 2 and Caly3.5. There were onions, tomatoes, veggies for the grill, etc. and I could barely saw through them with these blunt wanna-be knives.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information