Thread: Case Peanut Backspring Catastrophic Failure

Case Peanut Backspring Catastrophic Failure

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was just reading the "I blame Stich and Doug" thread and decided to pick up the peanut my sweet heart gave me and take it outside for a bit of whittling. I have not used this knife for anything, other than the usual "opening and closing routine",as I wanted to keep it pristine.

I was going to give Carl's advice a go and put it in my pocket and put it to use.

I admired it a bit, picked up a nice stick of aged walnut, and began to whittle. After a bit of bark and a few feathers, I was satisfied and proceeded to close the blade. Piiiiiig....the spring snapped in half.

Catastrophic Failure...(internal considering )

It's the stainless model and absolutely new!! I have never had this happen before and since it was a present I want it repaired. How does the process work with case.

I could email them but wanted the advice of my fellow forumites. No receipt ...it was a gift.

I have honestly never had a case knife fail on me, but if you contact them I think that they will just replace it.

I'm pretty sure Case will repair the knife but you will have to make it clear to them that you do not want a replacement.

Get that all hashed out before you send it in and you should be fine. They will not require a receipt.
    Rick T.

Great, now I get the blame for this.
    Sorry about your knife! Case has a great warranty and will get it fixed for free (not including you shipping it out). However, it takes a few weeks for them to ship it back.
    -Tom

Looking for Easy Open Jacks of all variety...

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune, I'm positive you will have no problem getting it repaired, I've never delt with Case, but have with other cutlery brands. I usually send them a email prior to sending back with all the details, and get a claim #. Most companies want you to be satisfied and have never had a problem having something fixed.

Sorry to hear about that. Even though I am not a huge fan of Case, it has to be a fluke. I hope when you get it back from repair it doesn't take too long to trust it again. I would call ahead and find out who to put attention to. I would also put a note inside taped to the knife.

I hope it works out for you.
    Kevin

Sorry to here about your problem,

I have sent several knives back to Case, none that were that drastic. I have been very happy with the quality of their work and definitely believe that they will take care of you.
    You can contact them but all they will tell you is to send it in. The Case web site has the repair address to send it to but make sure you send a note explaining what happened and that it has sentimental value so repair is preferred. It takes about 5 to 8 weeks and they will return it. They do not contact you, just repair and back out.

http://www.wrcase.com/support/warranty/

W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Co.
    Repairs Department
    50 Owens Way
    Bradford, PA 16701

Good luck!

Thanks to all of you for the advice and support. I figure it was a "fluke" as well. I have many Case knives and all have served me well for many years.

I will send it in this week.

WOW, i've never seen a total failure of a backspring on a Case pocketknife. I've pushed some pocket knves pretty hard, but never had this happen. I have no doubt that it was a bad spring, and Case will take care of you. The fact that it broke when it was in the act of closing and flexing, tells me it was way to hard. Improper heat treat.

Carl.

The fact that it broke when it was in the act of closing and flexing, tells me it was way to hard. Improper heat treat.

Carl.
    +1 The HT was way off. Much too hard.

Make sure you send the note saying repair only, no replacement. Maybe even out more than one note. Case will take care if you.

Im sorry to hear about your misfortune. Case has an excellent reputation for repairs exchanges etc...it would be cool to find out the outcome when this is all over

I've broken a few before.
    It seems as though I had just used the knife to cut a cement block in half and just when I use it to open a letter, it breaks.

Has to be a heat treat issue right?

It's a fluke and Case will get you taken care of.

P.S.
    I used one of those brown plastic peanuts for a couple of years and it was a great knife. Did some big knife jobs in our time together too.

In the heart of darkness. Learning the secrets of the mighty Douk-douk.
    I have dealt with Case customer service a few times and they are great. Turn around time can be a few weeks at times but is well worth the wait. They will fix you up right.

Thread Information