Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would you guys think of a Case, GEC, or Queen Sharpfinger?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Judging from the shift in Buck's hunting line (which gets used heavily by hunters), my sense is that many hunters are migrating to drop points and are shifting away from clip points.

If there were an old Schrade fixed blade to be resurrected, I would pick the H-15.

i could dig a GEC sharp finger in 1095 but id like to see a queen...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.B View Post
    Posting links to external vendors who are not BF sponsors is a no no, just be careful posting links.
    No worries! The link I posted was from Condor's website, not a vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by pinnah View Post
    Judging from the shift in Buck's hunting line (which gets used heavily by hunters), my sense is that many hunters are migrating to drop points and are shifting away from clip points.
    Well, yeah, but Buck markets itself towards a totally different demographic than GEC, Case, or Queen.

A CMP-M4 version with micarta handles would make me grab one!

Noted. But, that doesn't change my issue with the sharp finger.

I think GEC, Case and Queen go off track when they make interesting and odd reproductions of old knives that have historical interest and think they do better when they do traditional patterns that are still seen as being largely usable.

The Sharp Finger pattern is an extreme clip and even for it's stated purpose (hunting and game cleaning), I see it more in the former camp (historical pattern) and less in the latter camp (traditional and still useful).

Schrade (USA) had some great fixed blade patterns and I would love to see some of them revived and done by somebody like GEC. The H-15 is my top pick, but others include the 13OT Trailblazer, the 147 and the 156OT Little Finger.

But I'm not at all a fan of their extreme clip patterns like the 165OT Woodsman and Sharp Finger. I'm sure the people who love 'em, love 'em good for all the right reasons. I just don't see the extreme clip as being a big seller for GEC, or anybody else.

I was never a big fan of the shaprfinger. I much preferred the old Case Little Fin, and the Buck 102 I used for many years was kind of like that. A slimmer blade with the birds head handle.

Carl.

Carl, I was thinking about the Little Finn and the 102 too when thinking about this question.

Just popped over to the GEC site and refreshed my memory on their fixed blades. If an extreme clip is needed, I think GEC has that well covered with their H73310. The smaller bird and trout size is covered with another knife and really, the #50 and 60 are getting close to the old H-15, although I'm a sucker for stacked leather...

Seeing as GEC did do the Fire and Ice collaboration with Schrade maybe a Sharpfinger collaboration wouldn't be too far fetched. Still it's a cool pattern that has achieved a flagship status IMHO. I hate to see it die off. I have nothing against imported products of any kind, but I can't get enthusiastic over an imported Sharpfinger.

Quote Originally Posted by jackknife View Post
    I was never a big fan of the shaprfinger. I much preferred the old Case Little Fin, and the Buck 102 I used for many years was kind of like that. A slimmer blade with the birds head handle.

Carl.
    I have an old cocobolo 102 that I found new in box at a closing gun store, they didn't know they had it till I found it...paid $40 for it, GREAT little knife.

I'd love to see Case do one in 1095 along with some good quality leather.

Delrin or ???

It is possibly the best small outdoorsman's knife ever designed. I have been watching a few of our custom makers and their versions lately. Keith Willis' is really nice and Ryan Weeks is doing this one.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...Passaround-WIP

I'd love to see one from GEC, Queen or Case. I'd really love it if it was the 2013 Traditional.
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete. I wish I could have done more.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

I also just seen puma knives makes a "sharpfinger" looks just like the schrade sharpfinger. But based on price i would say it isnt german made. only around $20 440a steel. The Puma knives i have seen in the past, were german made and a little more money than that.

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/a.../223347_ts.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by protourist View Post
    It is possibly the best small outdoorsman's knife ever designed. I have been watching a few of our custom makers and their versions lately. Keith Willis' is really nice and Ryan Weeks is doing this one.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...Passaround-WIP

I'd love to see one from GEC, Queen or Case. I'd really love it if it was the 2013 Traditional.
    When I think of the Sharp Finger, I actually think of knives with a similar blade shape that preceded it, like the Western H40 J.

If the interest here is in seeing GEC or Case or Queen bring back back a significant historical or traditional fixed blade pattern, I would rather see something along those lines.

If the interest is in a useful outdoors knife... I think that is useful for what? I think there is a case to be made that the extreme clip is useful for skinning and game cleaning but a) a lot of folks find other blade profiles better and b) for general purpose outdoor use, there are a lot of things the extreme clip won't be good at.

I would buy at least one if not more if Case made one in yella Delrin and CV or maybe bone. Sawcut wouldn't be half bad either. I'm with Whetrock, I have nothing against high quality imports, but I'd much prefer American made.
    I love the Sharpfinger type pattern, even a teensy bit more than the Little Finn type knives.
    As far as the Buck drop point hunters go- the 119 and 110 are still quite popular- I see more 110s on hunters' belts around here than any other folder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information