Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice . . .

Question Need some advice . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the knife collecting world and could use some advice.

I was thinking about picking up a Gerber Venture, CRKT Foresight and a CRKT Hissatsu Folder (all 3 for a little over $200) or should I wait and save up for a Chris Reeve Large Sebenza? I've never owned a Sebenza but all I hear are VERY good things about them. What should I do? Thanks.

Easy... the Sebenza.
    This could become your fav folder.

Ditto.. Wait and save up for the Seb. Or spend it now on a decent spyderco, benchmade or kai (Kershaw/zt) and use the rest on a good sharpening system if you don't have one
    Up to you

The Sebenza does nothing for me so I won't advise you in that direction. But why limit yourself to just those choices? The quality knives in the price range you're talking about are so numerous it boggles the mind. Find a local shop and do some fondling.
    Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies...

knife collecting is about enjoyment. do whatever makes you happy. some people have to have the best, but others are perfectly fine with less expensive knives.

The sebenza is a favorite for many. I personally don't care for it. The thumb stud sucks, not very comfortable in the hand, doesn't hold an edge long, very very very limited on blade steel.

Check out the Strider SMF. It's a great knife avaliable in many different configurations.

Quote Originally Posted by botdcypher View Post
    knife collecting is about enjoyment. do whatever makes you happy. some people have to have the best, but others are perfectly fine with less expensive knives.
    I'm with this guy! Do what you want! That's what it's all about!

You want "numbers" and immediate satisfaction? Get the three.
    You want anticipation and one great knife? Get the Sebenza.

All four knives are functional (some more than others)...they will all cut stuff. So do what you like! This stuff is supposed to be fun.

Since you are new to knives, I would suggest not getting those three nor saving up for a sebenza. If I were you, I would get a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 and Military or Gayle bradley. Two of those will cost a little more than $200 but they are all great knives. When you decide that you might want to get into mid-techs, you can sell those to fund help fund the purchase of a sebenza or something. I sold an M390 Military and Gayle Bradley to fund the purchase of a large micarta insingo sebenza and to this day it is the only knife I like more than my para 2. I am never getting rid of that para 2.

go for the sebenza, saves you from having to sell the other three later

Quote Originally Posted by MDQBox View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the knife collecting world and could use some advice.

I was thinking about picking up a Gerber Venture, CRKT Foresight and a CRKT Hissatsu Folder (all 3 for a little over $200) or should I wait and save up for a Chris Reeve Large Sebenza? I've never owned a Sebenza but all I hear are VERY good things about them. What should I do? Thanks.
    If your budget right now is $200 dollars. I would suggest the Zero Tolerance 0550, $200 dollars or a little less. Titanium framelock like the Sebenza. I personally would steer away from Gerber.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.
    WTB TC Barlows.

I'm not a huge fan of Gerber OR CRKT. Definitely do some looking around.

The big 3 manufacturers that many people get started with are Spyderco, Benchmade, and Kershaw/Zero Tolerance.

For Spyderco, the Paramilitary 2 is probably the most popular overall model, but lots of love for Sage 2, Endura, Manix 2, and many others.

For Benchmade, the big draw for many of us is the AXIS lock. Griptilian or Rift, if you want a better quality handle than the Noryl GTX handle on the Griptilian, are popular offerings. There are plenty more, of course.

For Kershaw/Zero Tolerance, there are a wide variety of offerings. Blur is a very good value. The ZT 0550 and 0560 are very popular currently. I've got a 560 on order myself. Others love the 350, 300, and other options.

You've got a whole big world of great knives out there. Sebenzas are well loved, and if that's something you'd like, you'll get a great knife that you'll doubtless fall in love with. I'm personally a big fan of Darrel Ralph, and there are plenty of great custom makers on here that come to mind as well.

Welcome to the addiction!
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions. I think I will go ahead and save up for the Sebenza.

Good choice. The Sebenza is an awesome knife. Don't be afraid to use it. It can take it and the blade is easy to keep super sharp. Great steel.

I would say out of the choices you're considering, go with the Sebenza, it's an excellent knife and truly is Iconic.
    However, I was on the knife boat for more than a year before I got a Sebenza and got it when I knew I could really appreciate it for what it is.
    Just keep in mind, it's still just a knife, it may be THE knife, but at the end of the day, a knife.

If you want to check something out that has a similar design to the Sebenza I would say to check out the Bradley Alias 1(large) or the Bradley Alias 2(small). They run around $200, s30v, full titanium handles, and are probably one of the closest if not the closest that you can get to a Sebenza in the full production knife world.

I'm still after an Alias myself. =] So if you want to go that route first, they are nice knives.

Or if you just wanna pick up a Paramilitary 2, or a Native 5, or both, Spyderco makes fine knives and is super fair in asking price. Don't let the ones from Taiwan scare you off. They have excellent fit and finish, they are just as good if not better than my more expensive or same value USA made knives.

But, the Sebenza truly is a great knife, but I would make sure it's truly what you want before you drop the money for it.

Good luck in your hunt.

Check out the Benchmade Osborne 940.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyHelmsley View Post
    Check out the Benchmade Osborne 940.
    Thanks, just found a used Large Sebenza in great condition for an even greater price from a forum member.

Sebenza! Sebenza! Sebenza!

Quote Originally Posted by MDQBox View Post
    Thanks, just found a used Large Sebenza in great condition for an even greater price from a forum member.
    Hey brother, where'd you find it???

Happy ending

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Datangel View Post
    Hey brother, where'd you find it???
    What's up Mike, I wasn't sure if you were ok with me giving your info. out about our knife deal. Thanks again for the rockin deal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information