Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insanely sharp edge: Who does it best?

Insanely sharp edge: Who does it best?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have a couple of very high end knives that i'd like to put razor sharp edges on. I am capable of making a knife sharp, but i don't trust myself to make it perfect, and on these knives, it MUST be perfect

I prefer convex, but it's not a requirement. What is a requirement is a mirror polished, hair whittling edge

who would you trust?

I would trust KnifeNut1013 with my high end knives any time. The man knows his sh!t and his work is top notch.

Do you want a crazy sharp edge that will last while actually cutting or do you want a "show" edge that will look pretty but you won't cut much with?
    RichardJ will put an edge on it that will cut ridiculously well and will last. If you want a hair whittling edge than I wouldn't know who to direct you to. They don't impress me much.
    Last edited by protourist; 09-14-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Rest in peace Maniacal Pete. I wish I could have done more.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

I would recommend a guy named jdavis on youtube... I have never used him but I have learned a lot from him on his youtube channel... really takes care of knife. seems like he does a great job. I am not sure what he charges though. here are a couple of his videos...

hope this helps =)

Richard J here on the forums has had a lot of good reviews, he uses paper wheels and almost sure could put a mirrored convex edge on your blades.

I would also trust Knifenut1013. I sent him three of my knives, he put a hell of an edge on them and was very prompt. The guy knows his business.

JDavis is quite the busy man nowadays. If he can do it for you i would recommend that you have him do it. I sharpen knives to guaranteed whittling sharpness for my subscribers on YouTube. You might want to check out my hair whittling videos here
    Feel free to contact me through YouTube. I don't sharpen knives to make money, more of an opportunity to see how sharp you can get a knife on the Wicked Edge with the right training & knowledge.

Richard J

Richard J, and Ban Tang would be the two that jump to mind. I believe there is at least one guy who learned from Ban?

I don't know if Ban is taking any outside work. He makes his own knives now, so may be too buys to worry about sharpening his own.

I can get mine to shave curls while whittling a hair, so I have never had anyone else sharpen a knife for me.
    Last edited by Bigfattyt; 09-14-2012 at 08:23 PM.

JDavis by far.

Richardj is the way to go.Reasonable and trustworthy with great skills.

knifenut1013 without a doubt, Jason puts an absolutely beautiful edge on a knife.

He can put whatever type of edge you want on your knife, from very toothy to highly polished, all done freehand with stones.

Despite what some members might say, his edges do last

Ban would be my suggestion.

Ban isn't doing it anymore. I've been chatting with Richard J and he seems like a stand up guy. From all accounts, he puts an amazing edge on his knives

+1 Richard J! He is my main man for all my sharpening needs! He is such a down to earth, honest, straight shootin dude! He has an amazing talent! His edges are absolutely insane! One time he sent me one of his moustache hairs taped to paper that he split down the middle with my Grayman Dua that he had sharpened. His edges are sickly sharp, shiny although his goal is not to make a mirror. Its to make a killer edge that will last. And last they do. I ve put his edges through rigorous work and they stay sharp!! Send them to RJ and let him spin them on his magic paper wheels! Trust me you wont be disappointed! You will get an insanely sharp edge!
    www.woundedwarriorproject.org
    http://semperfifund.org/
    Wanted: Jarosz Model 75

Richard J hands down.

Hes a great guy that's full a of knowledge and is always happy to help you if you have any questions about sharpening.

I literally send him 5 knives to sharpen and re profile and the day he got the package he sent it right back out.

Id do a treetopping edge for free if you payed 30 dollar shipping each way, but that isn't too cost wise, I freehand so I have a slight natural convex

Quote Originally Posted by Razorsharp-Travis View Post
    Id do a treetopping edge for free if you payed 30 dollar shipping each way, but that isn't too cost wise, I freehand so I have a slight natural convex
    I appreciate the offer Travis, but you don't have a gold membership, so i can't take a service from you. The mods get grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by BePrepared View Post
    I appreciate the offer Travis, but you don't have a gold membership, so i can't take a service from you. The mods get grumpy.
    Oh really? Hmm, im not a big fan of this forum, they aint getting a cent unless I need to sell hehehe.

I love sharpening- thats why I offer

Im sure whoever you pick will get a similar edge for cheaper than shipping to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information