• spyderco tuff

29 27.36%
  • zt 560

77 72.64%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose....spyderco tuff or zt 560

Help me choose....spyderco tuff or zt 560

ADVERTISEMENT
    i'm looking at getting one of these knives... will eventually get both but only have funds for the one... have a zt 550 and love it have handles the 560 and reallly loved it....the tuff was really comfy in my hand. i love the designs of both knives.. i'm torn. HELP ME

This is a tough one, they are such completely different knives. I think you would be happy with either. I voted for the Tuff but I think if you wait for that, the price may go even lower.

I think they both look interesting and if you have interest in both of them then buy both of them.

I have real interest in the 560 and want one for myself so I voted for that one.

The 560 because the Tuff is the ugliest knife ever made.

Im with SeveredThumbs,
    the Tuff is FUGLY.
    But since youre getting both, then you will at least have one handsome knife..........
    John

I had a 550. I loved it, but it was too large for EDC. I carry a Sebbie, Umnumzaan or Strider Sng. Get what is comfortable in your hand and is light enough not to be a pain to carry. Some many large folders just sit in the box at home.
    Sonny

Tuff design is better...for over $200 a folder needs to be as good or better than my sub $80 folders in ergonomics and able to choke up on blade for leverage/detail. Cool features and fashion the ZT wins, for sub 4 inch edge knife use Spyderco wins...could mix and match several models and get the same conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by severedthumbs View Post
    Hahahaha

Yeah, it's odd... I would have to go with the 0560 myself

+1 and the 560 has the smoothest opening ever!!! Alot friendlier looking then the mini folding "Rock".

best regards

Tuff has better steel, better lock interface and Sal Glesser.

Buy both, make a decision, sell the other.

The Tuff is buff and may have decent ergo's, but it seems to be a love/hate folder.
    The 560, on the other hand, is a homerun and hits the spot on everything I need in a folder.
    I only own 1 ZT and about a dozen Spyderco, so it's not me being bias... I just get that greater sense of satisfaction when my 560 gets put to the test. (similar to my feelings about the Spyderco Military)

Quote Originally Posted by severedthumbs View Post
    My first impression was the same but I found photos of a shiny new tuff that made it look pretty awesome, and of course "beauty is as beauty does". With some patina it might not look quite as good though. I'm still swayed by looks though and I really want an 0560. Fwiw I think the back side of most frame locks look pretty ugly.

think i will go with the 560 and then eventually pics up a tuff

i voted 560 because for me, I live in a very humid climate and elmax's corrision resistance is awesome, 3v might be tougher, but it's not stainless so ill stick with elmax, also as said above the tuff is probably the ugliest knife i have ever seen in my life, I believe in function over form but come on that knife is fugly, also spyderco has decent customer service but zt's customer service is great, probably best I've ever dealt with, in the end its your decision, just giving you my opinion on the matter. heres my vote.0561.jpg0560 1.jpg

No contest.

Figuring Kershaw's warranty backed by U.S. manufacturing.

I ever had a 0560 and all I can say the ZT is only better at look, the Tuff is by far a better knife, much better design/performer. Elmax edge holdind was really disappont, its worse than S30V while 3V perform like INFI and M390 combination.

Quote Originally Posted by shqxk View Post
    I ever had a 0560 and all I can say the ZT is only better at look, the Tuff is by far a better knife, much better design/performer. Elmax edge holdind was really disappont, its worse than S30V while 3V perform like INFI and M390 combined.
    Better design? How about "designed by Rick Hinderer."

Add in the captured bearing pivot "KVT" and flipper, and I have to disagree about the Tuff's design being better.

I'll give you the 3V vs. Elmax argument. But S30v does not have better edge holding than Elmax. I'm comparing Spyderco's s30v vs. ZT's Elmax. Yes, I have multiple knives in these configurations from both manufacturer's.

I mean better engineering design eg; shortened frame lock which provide better strength, steel lock interface, better pivot, much better ergo, better clip material (trust me the 0560 clip has quite bad quality. ) etc.

here a pic from some1 who faced the same 0560 clip failed issue as same as me.

I have a Umnumzaan and I would say The Tuff build-up quality/tolerance was easily up there at CRK level.

Last edited by shqxk; 09-17-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 View Post
    Better design? How about "designed by Rick Hinderer."
    Not sure if there's an actual ranking out there for knife designers, but Hinderers and Hinderer designs are hot. That being said, Ed Schempp is no slouch either

Heck, Gil Hibben might be better known than both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information